Mainship 400 Converting twin berths to queen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dougcole

Guru
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
'05 Mainship 40T
Has anyone with a 400 converted the twin berths in the port side cabin to a full/queen berth by adding a filler between the berths? If yes, how did you do it? Is it as simple as adding wood cleats the the sides of the existing berths and laying down a plywood filler with a mattress on top? What about the lips around the edges of the existing berths, did you leave those on? Better to use an all new single piece mattress or to add a third piece that fits in the middle?

Thanks

On some years of the 390's they were offered with an insert. On the 390 the water heater is under the inboard berth so a single mattress would make access to the water heater a real issue. I'm pretty sure the port side cabin is the same on both boats.
John

Thanks for the reply John. I'm not sure, but I think the 400 may have been offered with an insert as well?

The water heater on the 400 is under the lower helm, so no issue there. Still though, I use the storage under the berths, so maybe a three piece mattress is the best plan.

We took possession of our 400 just this past September and there was a filler piece under the bed. We installed it however it's about 2 inches too low and creates a trough in the center of the bed. I'll need to remedy this next year, didn't have time as yet.

On some years of the 390's they were offered with an insert. On the 390 the water heater is under the inboard berth so a single mattress would make access to the water heater a real issue. I'm pretty sure the port side cabin is the same on both boats.
John

The 350 (model prior to being renamed the 390) came as a Full berth, not twins. The water heater is in the exact same location. Yes, you have to fold up the mattress to access the water heater. It's not really an 'issue', but we do need to mess with the mattress in the fall during decommissioning and during spring commissioning.

If I were going to convert twins into a Full I would remove the trim, through-bolt ledger boards on each side, then mill a new trim piece for the Full mattress.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom