Mainship 400 Central Vac switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sailorskip

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Blooper
Vessel Make
2004 Mainship 400T
I have a 2004 400. On the 110 panel, there is a Central Vac switch, although there is no central vac on the boat. The switch is wired; the number code on the wire is 736.

Does anybody have a clue as to what is connected to this circuit?

Thanks...

Skip Ryan
Tampa, FL

I have never seen a boat with a central vac or seen it offered as an option. But maybe it was an option that wasn't installed. In that case there is nothing hooked up to that breaker and you can consider it a "spare".

David

Thanks. But the switch is wired. Due to the mass of wiring, we cannot figure out to what.

Turn off all the other breakers,then go around a see what is still operating.Then correct the label.Easy peasy,not much 110 on a boat.

It may have been prewired at the factory regardless of whether it was installed. Our boat already has wiring in place for additional items. Just make sure it isn't energized! (like th extra wiring in our boat, it shouldn't be)

This old gal has a central vac sytem I actually thought they were pretty common... But back to the wiring, I would suspect that your panel wiring goes to a distribution panel.... Meaning I think a lot of the CB panels came preassembled All the wiring that is in the CB panel both AC and DC simply is routed to a distribution center where the neutrals, grounds and the hot wires from the CB panel get connected to the appropriate loads and sent on their way... I may be wrong about your set up but the OA I had was wired this way and this boat is kinda wired that way...

if the load side of the cb is wired,there may just be a 110 outlet below deck,where the central vac would have been installed.They are just plugin units.

Thanks for everyone's input. It is wired to an outlet in the engine room.

Great ,problem solved. Repurpose it to whatever tickles your fancy(could just be utility outlet in engine room),and relabel.

Although, as an addon, I would consider changing the outlet to a gfci for your own personal protection.

central vac breaker

I have a 2004 400. On the 110 panel, there is a Central Vac switch, although there is no central vac on the boat. The switch is wired; the number code on the wire is 736.

Thanks...

Skip Ryan
Tampa, FL
that breaker goes to a plug under the port side bed in the mid cabin

Thanks...

Skip Ryan
Tampa, FL

If you turn the breaker on and don't hear the vacuum, its not been installed. I have seen a Mainship 400 advertised with a central vac. Try posting on the Face Book Mainship users group. There are plenty of Mainship owners and they do respond.

On my 2004 400, the breaker is wired to an outlet underneath the starboard bunk in the guest stateroom. Jim

Thanks. I’ll take a look and see if that is the same on Blue Heron.

Central vac factory installed

I have a 2000 390 MS, and it has a factory installed 110v central vac (a bit of a misnomer as it is just located just at the inside helm at the salon level). It does have a long hose to reach the entire inside of vessel. And yes, it has it's own switch/circuit breaker. I use it all the time, and is quite handy. I believe it is a household unit adapted for the install. Funny, I thought it was a popular option, but from reading here, maybe not.

Thanks. Is it aft of the steering station inside the galey island?

Central vac factory installed

The system is mounted at the inside helm, left lower quadrant, just below the steering wheel. The foot rest is positioned to the right of it, when normally the foot rest is dead center below the steering wheel. Uses vac bags we buy at Walmart. Lots of power, and lots of hose attachments. We store the hose and attachments under the sleeper sofa storage area in the salon.

Attachments

• 20180523_140452.jpg
    20180523_140452.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 25
My 2004 has the central vac. Unit is aft in the twin guest stateroom under inboard berth.
The unit doesn't just work with the breaker. The hose outlet is under the inside helm facing walkway to go down stairs. Once you plug in the hose, that makes the connections and the vacuum turns on.

Yes that is the same as on my 390, but the auto on feature of vac when plugging hose into the suction opening will not work unless that vac circuit breaker is on.

vacuum switch

Look under the starboard bunk in the guest cabin there is a outlet there that might be controlled by that breaker. Tom

Thanks for the tip. I think I’ve had about four suggestions now and none of them have planned out :).
I’m gonna be digging into that area pulling the refrigerator out. I’ll do some tracing at that point see if I can find it.

Back
Top Bottom