Mainship 400

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37
Hi everyone, I'm going to take a look at/buy mainship 400 trawler boats. Can you give a list of inspection type bugs on the boat?

The boat is two yanmar 240 hp engines, does anyone know of a fuel consumption about 7kn? Fuel pay here about 6$/gal, that is why I ask?

2006 Mainship 400 Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Mainship is called mark here where I live, it seems nice, but a litle bit scared, because the boats have not, as a few pices in the North of Europe, That is why the price is attractive/cheapest.

It sounds like the it is the same boat as mine 400T with twin Yanmar 4LHA. I seldom run 7 knots, but rather cruise at 1850 rpm, which is 7.5 to 9 knots depending on conditions. I burn just over 4 GPH at that speed. Fast cruise is 2900 rpm, or about 15 kts, where I burn 13 to 14 gph.

Check the rudder posts for leaks. Look at the cockpit deck for stress cracks where the stair rail attaches to the deck (a problem on pre 2005, but fixed agter that, I think). Look for peeling anodizing on the door and window frames (early boats were brushed aluminum which is better).

Gen set access is poor, look for differed maintenance there. Summer Kitchen grill is all but worthless, better off to not have it.

Some suspect wiring techniques.

But all in all, a really good boat. We love ours. Lots of info here on the site on them, just do a search.

question about grill

Summer Kitchen grill is all but worthless, better off to not have it.

Hello Dougcole-

I have often thought that grill/sink/icemaker station would be a nice feature - why do you say better off not to have it?

Thanks!
supersonic

Hello Dougcole-

I have often thought that grill/sink/icemaker station would be a nice feature - why do you say better off not to have it?

Thanks!
supersonic

The summer kitchen is great overall, the sink works perfectly. The icemaker is nice but AC powered, so it is really only useful at the dock or when you run the genset, otherwise the ice melts in the tray making a mess.

I don't have the electric grill on our boat, but I've talked to a number of 400 owners who say that it doesn't get hot enough to effectively cook on in any sort of breeze and it's a power hog. I just clamp a gas grill to the rail next to the summer kitchen, it works great.

We had the propane grill on the summer kitchen. It was GREAT! Used it a lot, got very hot. But as Doug says, I heard complaints from other 440T owners that had the electric one, so I think it depends on which type of grill.
This may be too late for your inspection, but I would add finding out if the head discharge line has ever been replaced. The access is terrible, so it becomes a significant chore, when you finally have to do it, and that time will come on a boat that is more than 10 years old. As Dave says, I also second looking at Steve Cyrs web site (who has a section on the head).
As far as fuel consumption, we had a flo scan on our boat and kept very detailed fuel consumption numbers. We had a single engine boat and generally ran it at 8 knots. At that speed we averaged about 1.75 nautical miles per gallon of fuel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom