Old 07-17-2016, 07:45 PM   #1

City: Punta Gorda FL
Mainship 400 2006 Head Feed Thru hull

Where is the thru hull for the raw water feed to the head located? The Mainship Manual shows it located under the sink in the head. But I can't seem to find anyway to get to it.

Need to shut off the water to check the pump and hoses. The pump is not pumping to the holding tank.

Just bought a Mainship 400 Year 2006

IndigoStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:46 PM   #2
Guru

City: AR
I suspect you'll have to trace it from the head to the thru-hull to find it.

The pump is not pumping to the holding tank.

The problem may not be in the toilet. First thing to check is a blocked holding tank vent. A blocked tank vent will pressurize the system, creating back pressure that prevents the flush from going anywhere. If the boat has been sitting for a while, that's highly likely because dirt daubers LOVE to build nests in tank vents.

I'll be glad to help you trouble shoot the problem.

HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:49 PM   #3
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Indigo Star welcome to the forum. Peggie is the expert on marine sanitation systems. I suggest you buy her book.

You really need to find the inlet as it is a safety issue. If the hose ever failed you'd need to be able to shut it off.

If you're lucky, the toilet intake will share the sink drain seacock. That way you can occasionally flush with fresh water to clean things out. You close the seacock, fill the sink with fresh water, and flush. I learned that trick from Peggie.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:31 AM   #4

Mainship 400 Head Thruhull

I can't find the thruhull for the head raw water feed. So I can't trace the hose. The hose goes under the head platform to who knows where. I am hoping someone can tell me where the thru hull is located and how to access it.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:19 AM   #5
Guru

Are you sure your toilet uses sea water...that it's not one that's designed to use onboard pressurized fresh water--in which case, the inlet line wouldn't be connected to a thru-hull, it would be connected to a cold water line in the head?

One big clue: Is it a manual toilet that you pump by hand, or is it an electric toilet? The boat's manual will show the standard toilet the builder installs, but it's highly likely that a previous owner replaced it sometime in the last 10 years.

If it's a manual toilet (you pump it by hand), it definitely uses sea water, but if electric it could be either version. Did you get the owners manuals or any other literature for the equipment on your boat that would tell you. If not, do you have any idea of its make/model/approx age? If you don't know, post a photo of it.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:37 AM   #6

Mainship 400 Head

It is a Jabsco Series 37010 electric head. The manual specifically in bold letters states that it should not be connected to a pressurized and/or potable water supply. But you never know.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:14 AM   #7
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Hmmm. Our 2005 400 has a vacuflush head and uses fresh water. I thought they all had that set up. Are you sure it is a saltwater head?

Want to taste it to find out? Just kidding.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:15 AM   #8
Guru

That's definitely a sea water toilet. But you're right...you never know what a PO might have done.

We need to work on this one-on-one instead of swapping a dozen questions here in the forum. Send me a PM and I'll reply with my email address. Then we can report back here when we've found what we're looking for.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:11 PM   #9

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
we have a 390. On the deck between the head and both staterooms is a 15" square access panel to the bilge. This gives access to the shower sump and head inlet through hull and shut off valve. I expect the 400 has this same set up.
John

johnma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, mainship, thru hull location