Mainship 34 vinyl trim moulding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RRHD

Vessel Name
Traveller
Vessel Make
Main Ship pilot
Does anyone know where to obtain the side moulding or vinyl trim/seal for a 2004 Mainship Pilot 34? They are the black ones that surround the windows.

Thanks in advance

RRHD

Hello again has anyone replaced there side Windows on mainship 34 pilot? I am looking for the vinyl or rubber insert that goes in the window channel. Ron

Gasket

I am looking for the same gasket. Watching for replies to your post.

Pictures would be helpful.

I just replaced all of my screw cover moldings today on my 2001 Pilot 34. Having done all the prerequisite research I found that the original molding was made by Taylor Made. I also learned that is was rather expensive to purchase 33 feet of the Taylor Made product (at about $6.50 per foot). I took VERY careful measurements of the old moldings that were in place using calipers, found this product on Amazon, and compared it's dimensions to the Taylor Made molding:

Automotive Authority LLC Black RV Camper Trailer Thick Vinyl 3/4" Insert Trim Mold Flexible Screw Cover 0.75" x 50 Feet(50 ft, Black)

I was a little skeptical because the dimensions were not exact, but I knew it was VERY, VERY close. At a cost of under $1 per foot shipped, tax included I figured that if it didn't work out I wouldn't have much invested in it. I am pleased to report that this product snapped into the tracks with a little effort and appears it will remain secure. The product described above is a little thinner and less rigid than the moldings I replaced. Only time will tell how well the new moldings will hold up to heat, sunlight, and cold that will cause the product to expand and contract. For 50 bucks and and less than two hours work, I am thrilled with the result. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them here.

MSwm0.jpg
MSwm1.jpg

MSwm2.jpg

A few pics. First is before replacement showing large gaps due to 18 years worth of shrinking. Second two pics are after replacement with the product described in the post above.

JF
Can you post a sketch or x section with dimensions in case other model yrs are looking for same?
I may try for my MS 34HT if I thought it was close.
I might be able to find a way to add it to the MS parts files.
Are your frames made by AL3000?
Going from memory but think that's who mfg my window & door frames.

Last edited:
Don,

The first schematic pictured below is for the Taylor Made product that was recommended when I searched for an OEM replacement. It's dimensions closely matched the calipered measurements I took from the actual seals on my windows (I have images of those too if needed). Aside from overall length, which resulted in the significant gaps that prompted my effort to replace them, the OEM seals did not appear to shrink very much in other dimensions.

The second picture is a very basic cross section that was taken from the Amazon web page with the dimensions provided by Automotive Authority. The only appreciable dimensional difference in the two products is that the Automotive Authority product maximum width of the outside face of the seal is 1/32" less than the Taylor Made product (.75" vs. .780"). As you can see when comparing the two cross section diagrams, there are some other very small differences, but they did not seem to have any negative effect on the fit. In my experience, the new material was pliable enough to be forgiving of those very small dimensional differences.

Hope this information is of help.

Jim Fisher

TM41100024.jpg
AAsc.jpg

Don,
Not certain about the manufacturer of the window frames, unfortunately.

Jim

Here are the pics of the OEM screw cover with calipers for comparison.

OEM1.jpg
OEM1.JPG
OEM2.JPG
OEM3.JPG

OEM4.JPG

JF
Thanks
When I get a few more of my projects done I'll see if I can get creative and add that to the MS parts info.
Good detective work

Glad to give back a little, I have gleaned a lot of knowledge and useful information from this forum and other MS owners.

Jim

Jim
FYI - Look what I finally found - my memory was wrong window & door frames on my MS were made by A2000 apparently a div of Pompanette
Here's a link to what they list for gaskets & screw cover seals - looks like one is close to your original except a little wider (when flat vs w a little crown possibly?)
I'm sure your source easier / cheaper but will try to capture this & include it when I get time.

Window & Windshield Gaskets & Seals - American Marine Windows - Pompanette, LLC

Don,
Thanks for that link. The screw cover pictured may well be a better fit and it is good to have found another option in the event that the covers I just installed don't last very long. The face is definitely wider than the product I used and just a bit wider than my original seal in its current state. It is very possible that the original cover was closer to the .825 width of the American Marine screw cover. I believe that they were crowned upon installation as you suggest, and then they shrink over time to end up flatter and closer to the .78125 width on the OEM seal I replaced. The covers I just installed were definitely crowned upon installation. I will be interested to see just how much they shrink after a summer's worth of sun and heat.

Jim

Been reading this thread and wondering if anyone knows how to straighten a cockpit door. My 2004 MS 400 starboard cockpit door is slightly out of skew, leaning towards the stern starting about 3/4s of the way up. I will send pictures later.

T MacDonnell
Bay Retriever
2004 MS 400

I have had to tighten screws in the piano hinge periodically. Do you think it's the door or a hinge issue?

It’s definitely the door. All hinges are snug. The door locks OK and the seals touch properly everywhere except starting about about 18” above the door handle/lock and then warps increasingly up to the top corner. Wondering if it can be fixed somehow.

Just thinking out loud so caution?

Can you try opposite distortion to straighten out...
Lock top with slide lock and push out at bottom
Or
Open door slide bottom lock down and with lock against frame (rag for cushion) push in on top of door.

Start easy to see if you get small improvements?
Oops - just read back and yours is stbd door. If like my 34 stbd door doesn't have the slide locks like port side.
Maybe open door insert PC of 1x4 or 2x4 at bottom and push in at top?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom