Old 07-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
Guru

Mainship 34 models

I am in the market for a used trawler/motor yacht and the early 80's 34 Mainship seems like an economical option. As described by Jack Horner in Boat US, Mainship built 3 models of the 34, Mark I, II, and III. Does anyone know the history of these models. According to Mr. Horner the Mark III had the most desirable Cabin/Cockpit characteristics. In looking over used boats on the internet, I can't determine when the Mark III was first built. It was my understanding Mainship ceased production of the I and II when the III was built.
Any information would be appreciated.
Tim
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:14 PM   #2
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
RE: Mainship 34 models

I have shopped these boats extensively. The mk1 is the most "trawler like". I prefer it since it has the cover over the aft cockpit...it is practical and it just looks better. The Mk2 seemed to be aimed at more of the sportfish market. The cockpit was bigger and the saloon was smaller. I think they missed the mark as this was the least popular of the bunch. The came back with the mk3 which lengthened the saloon at the expense of cockpit space....still looks like a sportfish to me....nnothing wrong with that if you like that sorta thing. The hulls are all the same. The hull design was done by Cherubini...made to be easily driven thru the water. Anyway, the later the model, the more likely you would get the 200hp engine(Perkins 6-354). The 160hp engine wasw more likely on the older models. It is just 40hp but it is truly the difference between cruising at 12kts or at 8kts. That 40hp gets it over the hump. If speed is important, make sure you get one with the 200hp motor. Many have actually been repowered so look out for that as well. They also had soft deck issues. They have been around so long that most have been repaired but this is something that definitely needs to be looked at. They are a TREMENDOUS value and would make a great cruiser for a couple.

Good luck and lemme know if you have any other questions....not like I could answer them....
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:24 PM   #3
Guru

John,

Thanks for taking the time to discuss the Mainship 34. Your comments made me re-look the different models. It appears the mark I has by far the largest fly bridge. The other two have very small fly bridges and would not suit my purpose.
I also noticed the later models have a lighter wood, perhaps oak or mable in the interior vs the dark teak of the older models.

My wife fell in love with the Mainship 35/39 after viewing one at a marina we were overnighting at. We both particularly like the steps leading to the fly bridge vs the ladder in many of the '80 vintage boats. Too bad we can't afford one.

Mainship did not seem to make many smaller diesal trawlers/motor yachts after '85. It seems they switched to gas until the 35/39 dayviewed in about '97.

I must sell my sailboat before I get serious about a trawler. At the rate boats are moving the Mainship 35/39 may well fall into my price range by the time I'm ready to buy.

Is it easy to spot the soft deck issues you mentioned?

Tim
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #4

Yes it is. And a good surveyor would not miss them either. I will echo your sentiment about the 35/39. Great looking boat and great layout. We love those boats. And can't afford them either. They have managed to retain their value quite well.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

John,
The old Mainship 34 caught my eye When I was shoping for a cruiser before Willy. I liked the narrow bow and the overall looks of the boat. I assumed they burned 3 or 4 gph and was mussing about how I could afford that when I saw one out of the water. The hull dos'nt reach it's maximum beam untill it reaches the transom and at that point it's still getting wider. The hull is warped (going from deep V fwd tward flat as one moves aft) all the way to the transom. At 12 to 18 knots this should be extreemly efficent and that is, of course extreemly desirable. But I decided it would be like a bear in a greased pit in following seas so I wrote them off. Iv'e talked to several owners since then and all confirmed that following seas is not a good place to be in a Mainship 34. Lately though Iv'e thought I may have written the boat off prematurely as the problem in following seas may may be slight and one can frequently make things better with course changes. My own Willard isn't perfect in following seas either (its very full aft)* but if I keep the 100 gal water tanks full in the lazerette the big rudder takes care of me. A true doubble ender is slender aft as well as fwd. Anyway I'd be interested to know what you mainship owners think and if your hull John is like the MS 34.

Eric Henning
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:02 PM   #6

Anything with a wide square ass is gonna give you the characteristics you speak of. It is just a matter of having too much buoyancy aft. BUT, if you can "outrun" the wave train, this is not as much of an issue...ie get up on plane. You still aren't outta the woods there either. As you come off the top of a wave, the bow can potentially dig in and almost broach if you do not have the boat trimmed properly. Anyway, the hull of my boat is similar to what you describe and is basically the posterchild of a semi-planing hull. FWIW, Cherubini is the designer of the MS 34 motorcruiser.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:43 AM   #7

confirmed that following seas is not a good place to be in a Mainship 34

I ran one for 14 years and that is only true for the low powered, low speed ones. Anyone that has been repowered or came with 220 or more hp can run fast enought that this is usually not an issue, esp if you have a decent autopilot, which all slow boats should have IMO.
These hulls will run great up to 16 knots then they get squirelly as they start to chine walk over 16.
AM
albin man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:17 AM   #8

Just reading thru this thread again. And Albin man, it really isn't "chine walking". All semi-planing hulls will do what you are saying. What is happening is that the only portion of the hull that creates lift is the aft portion. The faster you go, the more lift is created....common sense. It does get to a point where the aft end of the boat creates enough lift that the front end starts to dig in....or in reality it is "bow steering"....and it is a very odd feeling. Anyway, my current boat, the Pilot 30, comes with 2 different engine options. A smaller one(240hp) and a bigger one(315hp). I have the smaller one and it is just powerful enough to get you into this regime(about 17 or 18kts). But the boats with the larger engine can easily get into that regime so ultimately you are paying for all that extra engine and not really putting it to use. You may be able to cruise at 16 a little easier whereas my boats happy spot is 15kts(240hp).

Anyway....FWIW
Old 09-07-2010, 06:22 AM   #9

After discussing this phenomena with one of the original Mainship 34 engineers, he described it as*"chine walking", I did not come up with that terminology.
One very slight turn either side and the side of the keel would then become ther lifting part of the hull. Turn the wheel and it would flip to the other side.
(I never experienced that on any other semi planing down east hull even at 30 knots.)
He said it was "possible" to prevent it by adding some spray rails to each side at the waterline but I decided not to go thru that much work since the engine was at max cruise rpm when I was at 15.5 knots.
The only time I went over that was to run the boat up to WOT (18.5 kt) at the end of some cruising days to make sure all systems were up to snuff.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:27 PM   #10
Scraping Paint

City: -
Mainship 34 models

The little 17 or 18 foot SeaSport that we used to take the cover photo for the Kenmore book chine-walked horribly. It would run along tilted to one side and then without warning or reason flop over to run tilted to the other side for a few minutes, and then it would flop back. This was on a full plane in barely rippled water. The boat was too small to warrant the expense of trim tabs which might have dealt the problem. But we were told that this is the characteristic of this particular model of SeaSport. Hull too short for its configuration and speed? I don't know. But it was really annoying and Kenmore finally got rid of the boat.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 7th of September 2010 02:28:04 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #11

Mainship 34 models

Quote:
albin man wrote:

(I never experienced that on any other semi planing down east hull even at 30 knots.)
Just curious what semi-planing hulls do 30kts? *"Chine walk" I think is more of a general term. * *BUT, I am pretty sure that chine walking is when the boat bounces from chine to chine while on plane at fairly high rates of speed. *Not while doing 15kts on a 16,000lb boat...

My example in my previous post may be a description of chine walking....but I seriously doubt it. *And it is likely the same phenomenon that I experience in my Mainship Pilot....and the same that was described in this thread ref the Mainship 34....which I don't believe to be chine walking. *I don't know if there is a term but I do think my description of the dynamics of it are what I explained above. *If that is chine walking, so be it.

-- Edited by Baker on Tuesday 7th of September 2010 03:34:29 PM
Old 09-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #12
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
Baker wrote:"BUT, I am pretty sure that chine walking is when the boat bounces from chine to chine while on plane at fairly high rates of speed."*
I agree! That's the definition of "chine walking."

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:23 AM   #13

"Just curious what semi-planing hulls do 30kts?"

Been on a few downeasters with lots of power

"Chine walk" I think is more of a general term. * *BUT, I am pretty sure that chine walking is when the boat bounces from chine to chine while on plane at fairly high rates of speed. *Not while doing 15kts on a 16,000lb boat..."

Sorry, this is exactly what happens to*this 20,000 lb boat at 16 + knots. This happens to every old 34 Mainship that has been re-powered up enough to*reach 16 knots.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:37 AM   #14

Mainship 34 models

Search chine walking on you tube and you will see what it is. Chine walking is downright frightening... the phenomenon we are talking about with Mainships is not.

And as designers wish to get more speed out of a design, they have a tendency to go more towards a planing hull. *It would be senseless to design a "small" boat to go fast using a semi-planing hull. *I guess all I am saying is that it is not black and white. *And there may be a chance these "Down Easters" are more of a modified V than semi.... *Like those Downeast Eastbays. *Not semi Planing. *I think they boast a Ray Hunt designed modified V. and do go your stated 30kts+....not the same animal. *They aren't stupid over at Grand Banks. *In fact, the newest models of Grand Banks "Trawlers"(Heritage series) are now all modified V....why...because the market wanted speed. *So GB did the proper thing...they designed a proper hull for speed. *The improper thing would have been to overpower a semi planing hull.

-- Edited by Baker on Wednesday 8th of September 2010 09:55:38 AM
Old 09-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #15
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Baker wrote:And there may be a chance these "Down Easters" are more of a modified V than semi.... *Like those Downeast Eastbays. *Not semi Planing.*
Based on the lobsterboats I've seen out of the water I would tend to agree with John.* they are planing hulls with a keel.* And some of them have the power to get on a plane although I suspect most of them don't.* So while they tend to mush around like a semi-planing boat it wouldn't take much more to get them on a full plane.* In a true semi-planing hull like our GB, we'd need a GE90 hooked to the Velvet Drives to get the thing onto a full plane at which point I suspect it would be so unstable as to be dangerous.

An Eastbay has a hull somewhat similar to the hulls used on WWII PT boats, which were fully planing boats.

Here's a couple of shots I've posted before of a new lobsterboat.* Also the basic drawings for an Eastbay.

Attached Thumbnails
newboat1.jpg   newboat3.jpg   specifications.jpg  
Old 09-08-2010, 02:39 PM   #16

Don't have time to reply Marin but I would say that Lobster boat looks semi to me. Look at the difference between that and the Eastbay cross section. Semi boats have no lifting area forward and then flatten out(very flat) aft. The modified V never fully flattens out but it does produce lift along the full length of the hull....
Anyway, unfinished and will finish later after dinner.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #17
Scraping Paint

Mainship 34 models

If you look at the bottoms of the racing hydroplanes of the 1930s (Hackers, Gar Woods, etc) they look pretty much like the lobsterboat bottoms except they don't have a keel of course. In a planing boat, the hydrodynamic pressure is what lifts the hull out of the water to reduce drag, and the flatter the bottom the more hydrodynamic pressure there will be. The only reason to stick a Vee down there is to keep your teeth from pounding out. On a plane the whole front part of a lobsterboat-type hull is going to be out of the water or almost out of the water anyway. It all depends on how fast the deep forefoot (which is there to cut the water) flattens out as to how efficiently the hull will plane.

A Vee hull, or even a semi-vee hull is not an efficient planing form. This is why you have to put so much power in them to achieve a full plane. But.... a deep V or semi-V gives a much nicer ride which is pretty important to most folks. They will happily burn more fuel to not get pounded to death.

A good example is our 17' Arima and an equivelent Bayliner runabout. Our Arima's hull has a very deep forefoot to cut the choppy water in this area but the hull then flattens out very fast to almost totally flat at the transom.* If you cut the keel off a lobsterboat hull,*what you're left with is almost identical to the*bottom configuration of our Arima. *It will plane very nicely with as little as 50 hp on it although the most common power for this model is 90. The equivelent-sized Bayliner runabout has much more of a Vee bottom because this give a much nicer ride than our Arima, but it takes a fair amount more power to plane it at the same speed we go with 90 hp. The Bayliners are usually 125-150 hp.

I mentioned the WWII PT boats which were fully-planing boats.* While their forefoot was not as deep as one gets with a lobsterboat, the hulls flattened out pretty fast and at the transom*were a very shallow Vee. This was to generate as much hydrodynamic pressure as possible to lift a heavy, 80'*hull out of the water as far as possible.* Their hulls retained a degree of Vee to them because*of the rough conditions they were called to operate at at speed.** But at the transom their hulls were flatter than the Eastbays.* The top sustainable speed of an 80'*Elco PT was 45 mph (when new).* And they did it with "only" 3,600 horsepower which is not all that much considering the size and weight of the fully armed boat.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 8th of September 2010 04:32:26 PM
Old 09-08-2010, 11:12 PM   #18

Mainship 34 models

Look at that lobster boat hull. It has a VERY deep forefoot and then it continuously flattens out as you go aft....very flat....like straight as a board flat. that is basically the poster child of what a semi- planing hull is. The idea is that the front part of the boat will cut through the weather while the aft end provides enough lift to get you some speed. This will always be a compromise and my reasoning for asking Albin Man about his "30kt semi boats". I am still skeptical about a semi displacement(planing) boat that will do 30 kts. It is either a poor design(execution) or a very large boat(read crew or utility boat here). Crew boats tend to be very large(ie 100ft) and semi planing and very highly powered(read triple 2000hp Detroits here). Their purpose is sea keeping ability......certainly not efficiency!!!!

Now, let's get back to the dynamics of it. Look at that hull shape. There is nothing providing lift for the front half of the boat. And the aft half of the boat provides a lot of lift. The faster you go, the more the aft end of the boat lifts up. It will get to the point where the aft end of the boat is higher than the forefoot and the bow begins to steer the boat.....you can take it a step further and deduce that the rudder is blocked out by the whole front end of the boat. This phenomenon is further aggravated by the downward pitch caused by the standard set up of the propshaft....ie the downward angle of the propshaft causes the boat to pitch down as power is increased. THIS IS NOT CHINE WALKING!!!! If you have to put a name on it you could call it "BOW STEERING". In effect, it is somewhat of a broach that you would experience on a sailboat...without the wave/sail causing the bow to dig in.

To summarize....the reason to put enough power for a semi planing boat to plane is sea keeping ability. The front half of the boat cuts through the weather while the aft half provides enough lift to plane. Like I said above, this is a compromise. An absolutely FLAT bottom boat would be the most efficient assuming the water would be perfect glass. A modified V small boat will pound into the weather...but it is more efficient than a semi boat. A semi planing boat is NOT efficient. It is a better sea boat than a planing boat. The reason they put semi planing hulls on boats that are NOT powered enough to plane is "static stability"....that is their initial stability when they are "upset". The extra flotation provided by a hard chine makes them resistant to roll....INITIALLY.

Show me a 30kt semi planing boat and I will show you a very poorly designed/executed boat....unless it is "relatively" large. Again, the only reason for powering a semiplaning boat to plane is sea keeping ability....PERIOD!....there are compromises and efficiency is one of them....as is this bow steering phenomenon!!!!

-- Edited by Baker on Thursday 9th of September 2010 12:18:40 AM
Old 09-09-2010, 06:18 PM   #19
Scraping Paint

Mainship 34 models

Quote:
Baker wrote:

Look at that lobster boat hull. It has a VERY deep forefoot and then it continuously flattens out as you go aft....very flat....like straight as a board flat. that is basically the poster child of what a semi- planing hull is. The idea is that the front part of the boat will cut through the weather while the aft end provides enough lift to get you some speed.
The flatter, lift producing section of the hull extends farther forward than you would think.* The lobsterboat hull planes very nicely if there's enough power in it.* Not all of them, or perhaps not most of them, have this much power because of the cost.* But we watched a newish*commercial lobsterboat leave a harbor on PEI and immediatly accelerate to a full-bore plane.* The forefoot and forebody were totally out of the water.* The thing basically looked like a ski-boat on the plane.* PEI lobsterboats are all 46 feet (I think) long.* Maybe it's 45 feet or 47*but whatever it is it's one foot less than the length when a different kind of operating certificate or tax or something kicks in.*

This particular boat was not carrying any pots but going out to pick pots it had set earlier so it was traveling light except for bait.* God only knows what it had for an engine, but it was moving fast and appeared totally stable.* The boat had the same hull configuration as every other PEI lobsterboat we saw, in or out of the water (see photo).* Deep forefoot rapidly*V-ing out to a nearly flat bottom for the aft two-thirds of the hull or so, plus the faired-in keel.

So flat or flat-ish bottom is not automatically*part of the definition of a semi-planing boat.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 9th of September 2010 07:23:06 PM
Attached Thumbnails
527906.jpg  
Old 09-10-2010, 04:42 AM   #20
Guru

"Show me a 30kt semi planing boat and I will show you a very poorly designed/executed boat....unless it is "relatively" large. "

One*boat I was on several times that could make that speed was actually a 35 Duffy center console with a big two*stroke *Detroit. Built to get to the tuna grounds fast. The boat was very confortable at high speed if the seas were flat however the owner didn't care much if it snotted up he would still pound thru it. Knock your fillings out for sure.
But* if he throttled back to 16/17 or thereabouts it would slice thru the snot like silk.
jleonard is online now   Reply With Quote