Old 08-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #41
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
RE: Mainship 34 models

Quote:
Doc wrote:
I am beginning to consider a Pilot 34. How noisy are they up on plane?
*Doc, I can't give you levels in Dbs.* It was noisier than my Sabre.* You could talk while running, but it was not what I could call quiet.* Carpeting on the helmdeck helped.* Probably lead lined sound insulation would help.* I would still say that the boat was good to cruise.* We covered many, many miles in ours.* Sometimes the days were 10 hours long.* I loved the boat.* We had covered over 200 miles in a day in it.

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #42
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
Doc wrote:
I am beginning to consider a Pilot 34. How noisy are they up on plane?
******* Doc:* I can't comment on the sound levels but I can comment on the rest of the boat. A dock mate (3 slips down from me) had a blue hulled Pilot 34 and I loved it! At that time I was driving a Pilot 30, hence my interest in the 34. If you go that route you won't be disappointed. You asked about the noise level while on plane.....think about it...you're on plane.!...who the hell cares!!!!!!!

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #43
Doc
Guru

Seahorse II...well put. I have not been on plane in some time.

Another couple of questions: 1. What is the most common brand and type of generator that comes in the boats and at what RPM do they run? I had a 3600 RPM gen set once and didn't like it. 1800 is much smoother.

2. Is a single engine better than twins in a 34?
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #44
Guru

Mainship 34 models

Quote:
Doc wrote:
Seahorse II...well put. I have not been on plane in some time.

Another couple of questions: 1. What is the most common brand and type of generator that comes in the boats and at what RPM do they run? I had a 3600 RPM gen set once and didn't like it. 1800 is much smoother.

2. Is a single engine better than twins in a 34?
*Doc, the most common generator that is installed in the Pilots was the 3.5 KW Nesgen.* It runs at 2800 rpm with a belt drive to the generator end.* I would not take the boat until they agreed to install a 5 KW Nexgen.* It also runs at 2800 with belt drive.* The belt used is like the*timing belt on your car.* Now, I think they are using allot of those.* I had the hardtop version and installed a 16,000 btu reverse cycle air unit on the helm deck.* It expanded the boat immensly.* We could run comfortably in Florida in summer and Chesapeake Bay in December.

I*liked the single 370hp Yanmar with a bow thruster.* It had a full*keel and shoe under the prop.* The twin 240hp Yanmar boat is a 20 knot*boat, but no keel.* *

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Saturday 13th of August 2011 08:08:06 PM
Old 08-18-2011, 06:42 PM   #45
Guru

I was on the Mainship Corp. website the other day.* They are now calling the old 34 Pilot model a 385 (I think).* The outside looks great with good lines.* Queen master with a second cabin.* Stall shower in the head.* The 380hp single is now a V drive giving more room for accomodations.* The only thing I am not too wild about is the galley on the helm deck, but it is sure an interesting layout.* I hope to see one at the boat shows this fall.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:02 AM   #46
Doc
Guru

I talked to a fellow last night that had a 34 Pilot with a hardtop. He said that it was extremely noisy. Boats with a canvas top not so much so, he said.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:05 PM   #47
Guru

Quote:
Doc wrote:
I talked to a fellow last night that had a 34 Pilot with a hardtop. He said that it was extremely noisy. Boats with a canvas top not so much so, he said.
*Doc, just my best considered advice.* Don't buy the soft top.* You are dealing with canvas and leaks.* The difference in sound is not that great, and some of it*can be handled by sound attenuation methods.* Mainship is a good but price boat.* They don't put much money in that kind of stuff.* I would buy a hardtop again without even considering a soft top, but that is only my choice.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:42 PM   #48
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:
*Doc, just my best considered advice.* Don't buy the soft top.
Ditto! The only piece of canvas I have on my boat is a little sun shade over the cockpit and even that is too much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_2105.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	7166  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #49

City: Fremont
Vessel Name: Ring of Fire
Vessel Model: Mainship 34
Where do you to see discussions about the Perkins 6-354?
hansondl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #50
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansondl View Post
Where do you to see discussions about the Perkins 6-354?

Here:

Power Systems - Trawler Forum

And if you are looking for a question to be answered, feel free to start a new thread ans ask your question.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #51

City: Seattle, WA
Mainship 34 models

Just to throw a little more information into the thread:

We own the first Mainship 34 ever built.

The original 34 as designed, was never meant to be a speed boat. Problems like chine walk and related come about in boats that were re-engined at a horsepower way above the original. I spoke with an owner once who had 300 hp in his Mark 1 and he said it scared him at speed.

Mine has a 210 hp Cummns now in place of the original 160 Perkins. When the boat is light and the bottom clean I can get to just over 14 knots. She will just start to plane at 12 knots. But: these boats are trawlers and were meant to cruise at 8 knots. Anything faster and the fuel consumption goes up rapidly and the boat gets harder to control - her rudder is fairly small. She doesn't like heavy following seas and you tend to roll the wheel back and forth to keep her straight.

One modification a few owners have made is to extend the hull, adding about 3 feet to the waterline length. This does make the boat more stable at higher speeds.

Looking forward to being part of the Trawler Forum.

Alan
alanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:29 PM   #52

City: Holland, MI
MS 34 with extended transom

Alanm said "One modification a few owners have made is to extend the hull, adding about 3 feet to the waterline length. This does make the boat more stable at higher speeds."

This statement is exactly what I was thinking when I saw a MS 34 out of water in the boatyard. The hull needs to be extended 3 to 4' keeping the aft section flat, perhaps even concaving it slightly. Perhaps emulate the slight downturn towards the stern that the Shannon boats employ. I assume the engine and prop are kept in the their orignal position.

Thoughts on the matter?
Kanumike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:43 AM   #53

City: bayonne
Tim, HI I guess we strayed off your question a bit! I still own a 1981 MS1 for 10 yrs. now , and I still like her. More than I can say for some boats iv'e owned! I mine does have the 200 h.p. perkins. good motor ,but on a good day maybe ... 14 kts. downhill! But you don't buy this kind of boat to go fast. I run at 2000 r.p.m. about 9-10 kts. Iv'e seen some MS1's with trim tabs, probably not a bad idea if you buy one with much more than 200 h.p. I have heard they do get a little squirrely at 16+ kts. can't say. on the whole they are a good go slow,& kinda fast boat. They ride good, although a little light for 34 ft. ( but I did come from a 37 ft. wooden egg harbor.34,000#) To me the space is pretty well divided, I.E. forward, galley&head,salon,and aft deck. Could use a bit more storage though. Every boat is a compromise . smooth ride,deep V lots of power,but don't stop or you roll off. shallow V better at anchor , but pound your brains out. the MS1 is nice. as far as soft decks go,get a survey,or use the handle of a screw driver to tap around the base of the bridge ladder,& pretty much all over the rest of the boat. All horizontal surfaces are balsa cored. So anywhere a screw has been in should be suspect. Good Luck, Rich S
richardschmidt2759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #54
Guru

Horizontal surfaces areoddly plywood cored, the fly bridge deck is balsa.
The lower powered models DO benefit from trim tabs. I installed 42x12 tabs on mine and could get on plane at 9 knots.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #55

City: South Florida
Hello Jay, good to hear from you again.

Noise can be addressed in several ways, and there is extensive discussion at the yahoo Mainship site about this. One of the easiest ways to get some good reduction is with an acoustic carpet underlayment.

Steve Moyer
Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:53 AM   #56

City: Maple Bay
Vessel Name: Lady Sue 11
Vessel Model: Mainship 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I am in the market for a used trawler/motor yacht and the early 80's 34 Mainship seems like an economical option. As described by Jack Horner in Boat US, Mainship built 3 models of the 34, Mark I, II, and III. Does anyone know the history of these models. According to Mr. Horner the Mark III had the most desirable Cabin/Cockpit characteristics. In looking over used boats on the internet, I can't determine when the Mark III was first built. It was my understanding Mainship ceased production of the I and II when the III was built.
Any information would be appreciated.
Tim
Hi Tim I purchased a 1981 Mark 1 in Feb. and couldn't be happier with it. It has the 160 hp Perkins and at 1600 RPM cruises between 7 and 8 knots. It burns 1.5 gallons per hour and that includes the use of the diesel furnace and diesel gen set 4000 watts.

Larry
Lady Sue 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:48 AM   #57

City: Memphis TN
Replacement roof hatch

My cabin hatch has seen better days and is pretty much worn out on my 80 Mainship 34 ll.

I would like to replace it with a new hatch. Does anyone have the source and part number for a replacement hatch.

Thanks,
T

Tim Hendrickson is offline   Reply With Quote