Old 12-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #21
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
My shore power cords are not plugged in at the boat end. They are hard wired and the connections are secure and waterproof. Never had a problem with the boat end of the cord.
Great idea. Not sure if I could do that on mine. No convenient place to store the cable.

SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
Our groundpower connection on the boat is in the side of the cabin about a third of the length of the boat back from the bow. The cable goes to the deck and then back up to be tied to the base of the rail stanchion opposite the connector. The cable is then secured to the stanchion bases on up to the bow and it leaves the boat off the end of the pulpit. So there is no movement of the cable or connector where it plugs in to the boat.

There is the SmartPlug (I think that's the name) that purports to eliminate all the common problems with the typical twist-lock connectors used on standard groundbower cables. They are expensive but the few people we know who have them swear by them.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #23
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
The "smart plugs" I've seen also require the shore power pedestal to match. I have not seen a marina that has switched yet.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #24
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
The "smart plugs" I've seen also require the shore power pedestal to match. I have not seen a marina that has switched yet.
Our boat has been converted to a SmartPlug, we use a 30 Amp Dual Configuration Cordsets and also have an old marinco cord that I replaced the boat end to SmartPlug. Both these cords use the old 3 prong twist plugs on the shore side.

One thing it has going for it is the 30 Amp Inlet contains a trip thermostat which cuts power in the unlikely event of overheating. It’s set to trip at 200F (93C), just before wire insulation begins to soften and restore the power once it has cooled back down to a safe temperature of around 120F (49C).

Just a happy and satisfied customer. Best part is the Admiral loves how easy it is to use.
"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #25
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
The biggest problem with shore power cords I have seen is with dual 30 amp services where 2 air conditioning units are on one 30 amp service and it usually starts to overheat at one end or the other then the other end starts too.

A friend of mine has a relatively new Catalina 42 sailboat and has had his AC shore power weld itself to the boat connection point 2x in the last couple of years.

I've had one just about there at the dock end...smoking and sizzling on a New Years Day frosty morning in Annapolis a few years back...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #26
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
When that happens you should replace both the plug and socket. The corrode and overheat together, and if you just replace one, the bad other end will damage the new one. If you want to prevent that from ever happening, spray the socket and plug every three months or so with Corrosion Block. I've got connections that are well over 11 years old and still look like new.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:21 AM   #27
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
When that happens you should replace both the plug and socket. The corrode and overheat together, and if you just replace one, the bad other end will damage the new one. If you want to prevent that from ever happening, spray the socket and plug every three months or so with Corrosion Block. I've got connections that are well over 11 years old and still look like new.
Absolutely!

Buuuutttt......My buddies sailboat one WAS almost brand new and the marinas aren't all that responsive if at that end.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote