Old 09-23-2019, 04:48 PM   #1

City: Morriches Inlet
Mainship 34

Hey there you guys my name is Panay Iím new to this forum so first if Iím cutting in on a conversation Iíd like to apologize Iím just learning how to post and use the forum . That being said so Iím looking at a 78 Mainship 34 and it needs a motor Iíd like to know what you guys think of the Mainship dare they good sea worthy boats is it worth to buy a 78 and try to fix it up you think what kind of advice can I get from you guys .

Thanks

PGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:04 PM   #2
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Welcome aboard both of you. I like the older Mainship 34s. Are they worth fixing up, it depends on the price. Replacing a diesel isnít cheap even if you can find a good used motor. They usually have wet core in the decks and flybridge deck. Check the decks carefully for that.

Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:36 PM   #3

City: Morriches Inlet
Thanks for that dave how do you fix that do you know ?
PGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:35 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Panay
Check your PM (personal message) for some tips getting started.
Happy to assist if you have questions
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:43 PM   #5
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Repairing wet coring is just hard physical work but relatively easy technically. You cut the top layer of fiberglass and dig out the wet core. Then lay in new core using thickened epoxy and lay the old top layer of glass back on with more thickened epoxy. Then refinish the top of the deck. That is the hardest part, getting it to look good. I grind a shallow trough and lay in some 1708 to strengthen the place where you cut the fiberglass. Then fair it out and paint the deck. I use Kiwigrip non skid paint. It is great stuff. Very easy to apply, covers imperfections well and can be repaired in the future very easily if necessary. All in all, not really difficult just a lot of time on your knees. Most Mainship 34s will have wet coring somewhere in the decks because when they were made they were not sealed properly at deck penetrations and over time water would get in. So unless a particular boat has had the decks repaired I would expect that there will be wet core. No a deal breaker if you like to work on boats but probably a deal breaker if you like to hire the work done. It can get expensive quickly if you hire the work done. Good luck.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:27 PM   #6
Guru

I reglsssed most of the decks on my old mainship. I did not save the original top skin. I just layer the fiberglass over a new plywood core, re ground the crown, and used non skid gelcoat (colored gray) over the top. Looked fabulous and was easy to do.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:59 PM   #7

City: Marinette, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Why do you need a new engine ? If you can rebuild the present block you will be way ahead because it will be a drop in. Changing engines, even similar make and model will almost certainly involve shaft, transmission, prop and bedding work.

If you "selectively" rebuild the present engine, meaning you only repair broken parts you may be able to get by for 6 or 8 thousand. A total rebuild, top to bottom, out of the boat will be $20,000.

Is it worth it ? Only you can say, depends on the cost and condition of the boat. My gut feeling is that it is probably worth it if you can get the boat for around $10,000.

Welcome Aboard!!

pete

Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote