Mainship 34

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pgaviorno

Hello from Annapolis, Md. I am not a trawler owner, but very interested in becoming one. Currently own a 27.5 mid cabin cruiser and interested in trawlers generally. Thought the Mainship 34 would be good place to start.

However, I’ve been told they have a hull design flaw that causes cavitation. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

But I look forward to communicating with folks about trawler information and news on a regular basis.
All the best, Pete

Which version of Mainship 34? There were ones from the 1980s and newer ones from the 2000s. Either ones were pretty nice from what I have seen.

If you are looking at an "original" 34, there were 3 models all on the same hull, which was a Cherubini design and does exactly what it is supposed to do.
Some of the Mainship Pilot 34 models may have some vibration issues at specific speeds which is a tunnel/prop issue and typically corrected by a prop change, hardly a hull design flaw.

Your dock experts need to be more specific

:socool:

There were at least three Mainship models that that were desginated 34s over the years. The first was the "classic" built from the late 70s through the 80s. The next was the Pilot 34, a downeaster style with no flybridge, built from about 2000 to 2007. The last was the 34T, a flybridge trawler (although there were a few hardtops built on the same hull), with a wide beam, built from 2005+.

I suspect you are asking about the Pilot 34 which is the only one I know of with a possible prop cavitation, ie not a bent prop or prop shaft, problem. Some owners report no problem, others report significant cavitation. I had a mild cavitation on mine that really didn't show up until the bottom got a bit dirty.

There really isn't a known solution. One TF member discussed this thoroughly here recently and I think was going to try a 5 blade prop. That probably would solve it but he hasn't reported yet. See http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/34-main-ship-pilot-cavitation-44789.html

David

Last edited:
I have a 2000 mainship pilot 34 and as long as bottom cleaned monthly no issues. FYI she is for sale in Palm coast Florida as we want a second stateroom and fly bridge but no vibration.

I have a 2007 pilot which had vibration/ cavitation issues. The issue was solved with a clean bottom, nicely painted prop and intact shaft zinc.

I am lowering the price on mine in Florida to try to move it. currently listed @ 94k. IMG_2755.jpgIMG_2745.JPGIMG_2741.jpgNo vibration issues. 30K of new equipment. IMG_2753.jpg

Back
Top Bottom