Lot's of discussion on the Yahoo Group

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just my experience. I joined this forum in 2014 and have enjoyed it ever since. On a recommendation I got here, I went ahead and joined the Yahoo Mainship group and get a truncated e-mail from them every day. I"ve found reading them informative and interesting, however, anytime I've tried to reply to a thread I get an error message saying it doesn't recognize my e-mail. No biggy really, but I do prefer the ease of navigating this site.

First off, welcome to the new Mainship Members. I hope you guys pull a chair up to the table and join in the conversations. Some may be Mainship specific, but much is just good to know stuff that's applicable to all boats. Take a look at the stickies with How-to instructions, but feel free to ask any questions of anyone, but especially the Mods/TF Site Team. We're the folks with the BOLD screen names......Hopefully someone has a link of Hospitality Officer Andy G's post introducing the various sections of the ship Trawler Forum. I looked but couldn't find it.

Al, it was made a sticky by Craig, in under Welcome Mat forum, Subheading, 'New member orientation 102', and it's no 1 post here....

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s53/new-member-orientation-102-a-14814.html

Last edited:
Thanks, Peter.

Here it is...

Welcome aboard the good ship TF.

Good afternoon, I'm the duty hospitality officer and I will show you around the ship. Follow me please.

On the port side is the engine room, the crew in this area speak in a strange dialect not often understood by the rest of the crew, they tend to be highly skilled and are not considered to be dangerous, although occasionally there will be a dispute about how best to configure the centrifugal capacitor for the main shaft( the MK 1 not the MK2 ).

Next to the engine room on the starboard side, the extreme starboard, is a door that you are not permitted to enter without a senior officer present.Take note of the sign on the door 'OTDE enter at your peril'. Crew have been seen to enter and never be seen again. You will notice that the door is on a watertight bulkhead, this is to protect the rest of the crew. I don't know exactly what they do in there, but rumours have it that they are connected to the navigation of the ship. The charts show stormy waters with the Obama shoals on the port side and with the neocon rip to starboard, it's full of icebergs, which some say are getting smaller. Sometime you will see this crew looking back over the stern of the ship, rumour has it they want us to turn around and go back.

At the forward end of the ship is a small but dedicated crew waiting for the order to drop anchor. They are considered to be entirely harmless and you are free to spend some time with them. However, it's better not to mention too much about anchors, as this just encourages them. The only slight issues this crew has is which is the best anchor to use, although they seem to have every anchor known to man, and then some.

Please follow me to the galley and officers mess. Some say this is the true reason the ship was built in the first place. The members of the ward room are a jolly lot, and as long as supplies are in, it's a good place to congregate. There has only been one instance of unpleasantness recently, a member of the mess had a picture of his empty fridge posted on our bulletin board, this caused great consternation through the normally placid crew. A board of enquiry may be convened.

The small group you see on the upper deck, sitting with their feet on the rail and beer in hand are the Oz east coast crew. That lot are so laid back it's a wonder they don't fall overboard. They are by nature members of the officers mess.

Slightly astern of them are the wood craft and screwdriver brigade, they also incorporate the flush em' away crew. These tend to be ex boy scouts and girl guides who like things neat and tidy, and working properly. They are safe to mingle with and give you good advice just like your mother did. They are nominally led by the senior female officer of the ship.

Last but not least is the bridge. The captain and senior officers pretty much let the ship steam it's own course, dodging those melting icebergs, with the occasional court of enquiry if required. They allow no flogging on board, despite hints from some of the OTDE crew. The good ship TF charts her course somewhere between Gilligan's Island and HMS Surprise(Mater & Commander)

Welcome aboard

Well, I've been a TF member for about a year now, but truthfully was following the Yahoo group more often. I'm also the culprit that stirred the pot recently about finding an alternative platform because Yahoo stinks. Just allowing for photos and attachments would be a huge improvement, but alas the moderators do nothing. I did start a Facebook group that I hope some of you will consider. Not looking for it to replace TF, but perhaps more social, photo sharing, etc. Anyhow, I've quit the Yahoo group (to many members delight) and will make an effort to contribute more here on TF. I will try to behave and not rock the boat (pun intended). Carry on...

Jack:

I noticed your Yahoo post today. The Yahoo group is going through an upheaval. The majority of members are ok with the lousy system and don't care about any changes. The moderators definitely don't care. Then there are a few of us who wish that the moderators would just allow embedded pictures and attachments- presumably a simple administrator key click, but the moderators don't know how or care.

But the Yahoo site does come up with valuable stuff from time to time. Someone just posted a link to the old Mainship factory site. That someone was probably the old site administrator. That link gives a wealth of good information. Here it is again for those who missed it: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/256890/www.mainship.com/index.html

So I now monitor the Yahoo site, but will not post, well maybe once in a while like today when I just can't help myself ;-). Anyone who wants my Mainship input should post on the trawler Forum Mainship section.

David

Yahoo MS Poll Results

FYI and for the record - here is a post I made over on the MS Yahoo site...
I've joined David... will continue to monitor Yahoo (and post on rare occasions like this one) but will make my contributions here on TF.

Here are some interim results from the polls I started approx 24 hrs ago...

Change Desired at Yahoo MS Forum -
100% want change vs 0% OK as is
55% requesting allowing photo attachments
45% requesting allowing file attachments

Use of Search Tool on MS Yahoo Forum
75% either don't bother or haven't been able to search effectively (had mixed results at best)
25% Use search function often

Yahoo vs TrawlerForum Membership / Access
56% Are members of both Yahoo MS & TF

22% Have accessed TF but not joined + 7% Would Consider joining
15% Only use/ member of Yahoo MS

Above represents about 100+ votes total

I will continue to monitor as long as votes continue at a reasonable pace and will cut it off when interest wains.

My preliminary impressions / conclusions are as follows:
EVERYONE WANTS CHANGES - allowing Photos slightly more important than Attachments

History has proven that our owners / mods ARE NOT INTERESTED IN IMPROVING THIS FORUM - take it as is or leave it - seems to be the hidden message - I and others have offered suggestions and willingness to help via posts and PM's all w/ no meaningful response
Prior comments indicated that access to the History & all the Prior Knowledge was critical -
- the poll shows only about 25% can or do use the search function effectively
-I'm not sure the prior knowledge is all that critical?
Approx 85% of us are also members of TF - Have accessed TF w/o joining while only 13% Use Yahoo MS Forum exclusively for help / knowledge / etc
Given the above I guess I don't see where anyone needs to re-invent the MS Forum Wheel -
* It already exists within Trawler Forum - 2/3 or us are members and already use TF and almost another 1/4 access it w/o joining (yet)

* Why not give MS @ TF a trial - instead of posting your questions here simply go to the TF MS forum and post your questions / discussions (along with any photos or attached files) and see if it satisfies needs better that what we have here.

Just my opinion...

Don

Yahoo groups is dying, not only for Mainship but all groups, it is modeled after the old List Serv.

It is a real PIA to follow threads and the original message is always repeated unless you take the time to delete it.

This forum is using vBulletin one of two of the best out there to exchange info.

TF is giving this space use it

Yahoo groups is dying, not only for Mainship but all groups, it is modeled after the old List Serv.

It is a real PIA to follow threads and the original message is always repeated unless you take the time to delete it.

This forum is using vBulletin one of two of the best out there to exchange info.

TF is giving this space use it
That's another great point Jimbo. Yahoo Groups has not been improved or updated in years. I suppose they are making a few $ on ad revenue, but I think it will be shut down within the next few years.

Welcome to all Mainship owners and those interested

First a big welcome to any new forum members owning or interested in learning more about a Mainship...
you might want to subscribe to this section and you will get notified of new posts about Mainships.
Also - search through the other sections if you are looking for information about manufacturers equipment installed by Mainship - e.g. Yanmar engines, ZF Transmissions, Raymarine electronics, etc - these components are used by other manufacturers and you will likely find more info in the applicable TF section.

Once you find you way around and have read some posts visit the Welcome Mat section and post an entry introducing yourself, your boat and your crew.
It's a great way to get to know a few members and they to get to know you...pictures are always appreciated.

If anyone has landed here without starting with the Trawler Forum Welcome Mat or TF Support sections here are a few links that you might find helpful getting started.

"Welcome Mat" New Member Orientation 102

"Forum Support / Suggestions..." Setting up your account / Help / Tips

New "Library Function" - Find and upload useful reference material without having to search and read through old posts

Trawler Forum groups....

I am still finding my way around this site and enquire if there are specific manufacturer groups. I have owned a 1984 Mainship 34 for over 15 years and have just purchased a 2008 model. I am also the current "commodore" of the Deep South Mainship Owners group. I would like to see a group that shares info for Mainshipers, especially given the lack of manufacturer support due to their bankruptcy. Marlow simply bought the name and the molds. Not aware of any support being provided by them, nor would I, understandably, anticipate such.

Thanks for any heads up or help here.

I am still finding my way around this site and enquire if there are specific manufacturer groups. I have owned a 1984 Mainship 34 for over 15 years and have just purchased a 2008 model. I am also the current "commodore" of the Deep South Mainship Owners group. I would like to see a group that shares info for Mainshipers, especially given the lack of manufacturer support due to their bankruptcy. Marlow simply bought the name and the molds. Not aware of any support being provided by them, nor would I, understandably, anticipate such.

Thanks for any heads up or help here.

Rogoho...
Welcome
I believe you found it... This is the Mainship subforum and a good place to post MS specific inquiries.
Also be aware that any equipment or system inquiry that isn't unique to MS's may benefit by posting in the other generic subforums... power systems...electrical...etc
e.g. Yanmar engines, Kohler gennie, etc

Be sure to check out the library feature - again some good info there...

Let me know if I can help in any way...I also have a 2008 MS 34 HT and have found lots of good links & sources.

Last edited:
I joined both. TF is far and above. Actually, I will probably unsubscribe at some point from Yahoo. This forum is set up much better. Coo do's to the organizers!

Perhaps the Mainship people are missing the fact that not all Mainship questions make it into the Mainship sub-forum. If it's an engine specific question, it goes in the engine section. If it's an anchor question, it goes in the anchor forum, and so on. Don't just assume that a lightly used forum that is Mainship specific means there isn't a lot of activity by Mainship owners. It might likely be just because it is a little diluted by topic-specific questions.

And Craig is right... Those guys have said before that they are all coming and they never really have in any great number. I, for one, would love to have them all here. I tend to get a little sick to my stomach when I try and use the Yahoo Groups. Might as well be an alt.trawlers.mainship BBS newsgroup :)

Tom B, I agree. I sometimes forget about the MS sub forum, even when I have a MS specific question. And of course, the more eyes that are seeing your question, the better the answers, no matter the brand of trawler!
Vickie aka Gouchergal

It looks like the rumors and rumblings over on Yahoo are finally TRUE

"Yahoo has made the decision to no longer allow users to upload content to the Yahoo Groups site.
Beginning October 28, you won't be able to upload any more content to the site, and as of December 14 all previously posted content on the site will be permanently removed.
You'll have until that date to save anything you've uploaded."

If any TFers have files there and want to save them I'd suggest copy / posting them to the TF Library

For More Details

Yahoo Mainship

I'm checking in for the first time in TF, hope it goes well, I've had our 430 aft cabin for 12 years now, done the Great Loop, Down East loop, thinking of having the mast hindged this winter,located in Pasadena Md

Greg Franklin
GonCruzn3

Welcome aboard Greg. The 430 is a fine ship.

We just cant win for losing.

It looks like the rumors and rumblings over on Yahoo are finally TRUE

"Yahoo has made the decision to no longer allow users to upload content to the Yahoo Groups site.
Beginning October 28, you won't be able to upload any more content to the site, and as of December 14 all previously posted content on the site will be permanently removed.
You'll have until that date to save anything you've uploaded."

If any TFers have files there and want to save them I'd suggest copy / posting them to the TF Library

For More Details

We just bought our first boat, a 1999 Mainship 350/390 in June. I’m here moving from the Yahoo group. I’ve already introduced myself on the TF Welcome Mat and now saying hi to this Marlow Mainship group. Adventures every minute when we’re on the boat!

There have been quite a few folks discourages with the Yahoo groups forum, and I'm one of them. It's just horribly user unfriendly.

I'm sure hoping the group will just come over here to TF which is a much better venue and much easier to operate. And has a bunch of pretty nice folks, too.

Perhaps that will happen after this latest Yahoo policy change.

There is a lot of discussion over on the Yahoo Mainship group. Might be a lot of new TF members coming over. Biggest complaint in the Yahoo group is there is not enough Mainship activity on TF. People are saying that if everyone comes over that will change
John
MS390
Good to see Mainshippers in TF -- I've recently moved to Vero Beach, FL from NJ and I am looking forward to meeting more Mainshippers in the area -- you can reply through this site or contact me directly at home2frank@yahoo.com.

Franklin Gutierrez
Home Too
2006 MS 34T

Good to see Mainshippers in TF -- I've recently moved to Vero Beach, FL from NJ and I am looking forward to meeting more Mainshippers in the area -- you can reply through this site or contact me directly at home2frank@yahoo.com.

Franklin Gutierrez
Home Too
2006 MS 34T

Hey there Franklin. Remember me?
I live on the west coast of FL 8 months of the year now and on the boat the other 4 months in CT.
Welcome to TF.

An earlier question was asked regarding the difficulty in starting a forum, dedicated to Mainship, or anything. Anyone can easily start a forum on 95% of all web site accounts using software very similar to VBulletin but without the cost. However, bringing up the forum is just the start. Then you must find a way to attract people and that's the death of most. You start with 0 posts and a month later you have 2 and no one comes. You also have to deal with spam and if spammers see an opening, they'll take over your board. That means if you can't watch things constantly, you need moderators to approve and check new members and then follow their initial posts very carefully. It takes a lot of work. Then you must moderate the activity and that's not an easy job. Here, it's difficult but manageable as a history exists. On a new forum, people assume they can say or do anything they want and you must deal with that.

Few brands have been able to get good forums going. Perhaps Hatteras and Sea Ray are good examples but other brands don't have the numbers. Plus, most of what you want to discuss isn't brand related. The boat brand is irrelevant to the vast majority of discussion and on a brand specific site, you have great difficulty getting volume or responses to other questions. That's why most forums have found it best to have general forums and then have sub forums for those questions and discussions only relevant to the brand.

I would suggest to all, strengthen what is already here. If your brand sub forum isn't strong then post more brand specific posts in it and invite more discussion. I also don't find facebook as a good alternative to a forum and with my desire to protect my privacy, not about to go become active in posting on facebook. If privacy is important to you, then that is not the place to go.

Hey there Franklin. Remember me?
I live on the west coast of FL 8 months of the year now and on the boat the other 4 months in CT.
Welcome to TF.

Jay - Sounds like an excellent plan, we are also planning next summer in the NE. Send me your email address

There have been quite a few folks discourages with the Yahoo groups forum, and I'm one of them. It's just horribly user unfriendly.

Yes it was always very awkward to say the least.
I was one of the original moderators and in the early days (I think it was 1998 or 99) it was fine as there were only a few members and not too many different model boats.
The original models were a "cult" boat, and there was no one left at Mainship who knew the oldies so that forum was a godsend of sorts.
Joe Weinbrect was the originator, does anyone on here remember him?

I resigned as moderator in around 2006 when I sold my old Mainship and bought the Albin.

I know it "uglied out", but it was a good forum in its early years.

Franklin I sent my contact info to you via a Private Message.
Please reply directly to my e mail once you get it.

Yes it was always very awkward to say the least.
I was one of the original moderators and in the early days (I think it was 1998 or 99) it was fine as there were only a few members and not too many different model boats.
The original models were a "cult" boat, and there was no one left at Mainship who knew the oldies so that forum was a godsend of sorts.
Joe Weinbrect was the originator, does anyone on here remember him?

I resigned as moderator in around 2006 when I sold my old Mainship and bought the Albin.

I know it "uglied out", but it was a good forum in its early years.

Franklin I sent my contact info to you via a Private Message.
Please reply directly to my e mail once you get it.

Everything has it's time and place. Yahoo was once the dominant search engine, the most popular chat rooms and the most popular groups. At that time, the cost of setting up a forum on VBulletin was extremely high and other options not trustworthy. Bulletin boards and Mail Lists were also popular as unwieldy as they were. Then forums became widespread, fairly easy to set up although very challenging to manage. Now, I think sometimes as people move to the next iteration, it's a mistake. Specifically today I think it is those going to facebook in lieu of forums. It doesn't allow the clean groupings of topics. It's not as orderly. It's even less easy to manage and moderate. And, it includes a tremendous sacrifice of privacy. On top of that, as often as people complain here about the ads, here they are organized outside the threads and facebook topics are plagued with advertisements, spam, and phishing. Last, there are schools and businesses using facebook, twitter, instagram and other social media as part of their hiring and admissions. Fortunately, most here are not in need of future jobs but much of what many do post here would haunt them if posted on facebook. Employers would label them negatively and move on.

I do not have a FB nor a twitter account and not interested establishing either, for the stated reasons, lack of security and privacy.

I'm sort of in the same camp as Dan...
I dont see any / enough advantages to switch to social media sites if its tech info you are after. Maybe different if you just want to connect w other owners and chit chat.
I found MS Yahoo before TF but I attempted several times to influence / improve the MS Yahoo site but owner / admin was uninterested / unresponsive.
TF very much the opposite... willing to consider and implement improvements beyond the already available features (pics, organization, workable searching, thread grouping, etc) the Library function is a perfect example of a recent very positive add!
F Book and Tweeter not for me!

I don’t get the whole sub-forum thing since I just hit the new posts button. I don’t really care where the post originated, if I have anything to contribute I will. I suspect others do the same.

You obviously can post any question in any section but it helps e everyone and you are likely to get more & better responses if posted in the "best fit" section.
e.g. Mainship if a generic MS item but if a Yanmar engine ?
Power systems. Many post their early posts in the welcome mat section but few people go there to find technical help. That's the beauty of having TF organized and grouped by topic vs simply sequential posts like Yahoo is / was.

I don’t get the whole sub-forum thing since I just hit the new posts button. I don’t really care where the post originated, if I have anything to contribute I will. I suspect others do the same.

Woody, one advantage to the sub-forums is subscribing to the sections that offer the most interest or relevance to your needs. That way you get a notification of a new thread/post to the section so you don't miss the conversations that can get pushed low in the new post list after a day or two.

Back
Top Bottom