Old 08-24-2015, 04:11 PM   #21
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Lot's of discussion on the Yahoo Group

Tom summed the rest up well and though I'm no longer a Site Team member I'll answer the question regarding importing history (more correctly you are referring to importing existing content). That practice is generally frowned upon unless the Mainship Yahoo group was being purchased by this forums ownership. Even then Yahoo would be highly unlikely to sell that content at any price.

If you read the terms of use for almost every forum on the internet(including Yahoo groups) you're likely to find a clause granting full ownership of any and all user generated content to the forum owner. It's more complicated than that of course and considering over 5% of our active users are attorneys I'll defer to any of them expand upon my remarks.

Edit: Keep in mind that neither the moderators nor the administrators of either this forum or the Mainship Group have any ownership interest whatsoever. Social Knowledge owns this forum and Yahoo owns all content at the MS Group.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:51 PM   #22
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Possibly a hyperlink to the Yahoo site to access past info??
Lost current/ past info after a Passage Maker forum update is what I remember as being a part of why Baker started TrawlerForum. Hopefully the Yahoo forum stays alive either way.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Old 08-24-2015, 05:13 PM   #23
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
The Yahoo thread is getting a bit ugly. This thread must be 50 posts long now. There seem to be two categories of posters: those who say the Yahoo site is disfunctional (me), and those including the moderators who say it is fine. The moderators of course are winning as they hold all the cards.

David
djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:05 PM   #24

City: Freeport, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Guns 'N' Hoses II
Vessel Model: 2004 34' Pilothouse Sedan
I think more of the members are starting to see some of the issues being discussed. I don't think the mods hold all the cards and they are not swaying all the members. Besides its not like this is a competition, right?
Perhaps I should post a link there to here to make it a little easier for people to compare one site to the other.
kwmeyer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:29 PM   #25

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
I posted a couple of times over there today and will continue. it is difficult to use and navigate. I'm just suggesting to people to join here also and post questions and comments on both. the history is the biggest issue. but you need to be a programmer to find it.
John
MS390
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:30 PM   #26

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
I already posted the link there.
John
MS390
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:20 PM   #27

City: Freeport, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Guns 'N' Hoses II
Vessel Model: 2004 34' Pilothouse Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnma View Post
I already posted the link there.
John
MS390
When did you post it? Did the title of the post for the link say "please subscribe" If it did then the link was removed because the message was blank.
kwmeyer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:56 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
First off, welcome to the new Mainship Members. I hope you guys pull a chair up to the table and join in the conversations. Some may be Mainship specific, but much is just good to know stuff that's applicable to all boats. Take a look at the stickies with How-to instructions, but feel free to ask any questions of anyone, but especially the Mods/TF Site Team. We're the folks with the BOLD screen names.

I have a Marshall Californian and wish the builder had something like a Builder Forum website. While looking for one, I found Trawler Forum. We've built quite a collection of Californian members and now we've built up a collection of documents including manuals and electrical drawings. It is probably the greatest concentration of Californian material on one website.
Hopefully you guys will have similar success. We're all glad to have you here and look forward to your questions, advice, stories and perspectives.

BTW, we have our resident BS criers who will pipe up periodically when they perceive an opinion that differs from theirs. We try to keep 'em on a tight leash, but sometimes they gain some courage and traction for short periods. You'll recognize them by their occasional bark and profusely professed professionalism. They're usually right but have a knack for saying it in the most 'interesting' ways.

Hopefully someone has a link of Hospitality Officer Andy G's post introducing the various sections of the ship Trawler Forum. I looked but couldn't find it.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:44 PM   #29
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
First off, welcome to the new Mainship Members. I hope you guys pull a chair up to the table and join in the conversations. Some may be Mainship specific, but much is just good to know stuff that's applicable to all boats. Take a look at the stickies with How-to instructions, but feel free to ask any questions of anyone, but especially the Mods/TF Site Team. We're the folks with the BOLD screen names.

I have a Marshall Californian and wish the builder had something like a Builder Forum website. While looking for one, I found Trawler Forum. We've built quite a collection of Californian members and now we've built up a collection of documents including manuals and electrical drawings. It is probably the greatest concentration of Californian material on one website.
Hopefully you guys will have similar success. We're all glad to have you here and look forward to your questions, advice, stories and perspectives.

BTW, we have our resident BS criers who will pipe up periodically when they perceive an opinion that differs from theirs. We try to keep 'em on a tight leash, but sometimes they gain some courage and traction for short periods. You'll recognize them by their occasional bark and profusely professed professionalism. They're usually right but have a knack for saying it in the most 'interesting' ways.

Hopefully someone has a link of Hospitality Officer Andy G's post introducing the various sections of the ship Trawler Forum. I looked but couldn't find it.
Well said FW

and again welcome Mainshippers
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:28 PM   #30

City: Eliot, ME
Vessel Name: HighFalutin
Vessel Model: 2000 Mainship 390T
thanks for the welcome. I have been a member of both for close to a year and find both sites invaluable. I will continue to search for my information in both.
Thanks again.
Rick Tara
2000 MS 390T
ricktara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:06 PM   #31

City: Clear Lake Shores,Tx
Vessel Name: In Disguise
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 40 DC
Just my experience. I joined this forum in 2014 and have enjoyed it ever since. On a recommendation I got here, I went ahead and joined the Yahoo Mainship group and get a truncated e-mail from them every day. I"ve found reading them informative and interesting, however, anytime I've tried to reply to a thread I get an error message saying it doesn't recognize my e-mail. No biggy really, but I do prefer the ease of navigating this site.
wyoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:44 AM   #32
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
First off, welcome to the new Mainship Members. I hope you guys pull a chair up to the table and join in the conversations. Some may be Mainship specific, but much is just good to know stuff that's applicable to all boats. Take a look at the stickies with How-to instructions, but feel free to ask any questions of anyone, but especially the Mods/TF Site Team. We're the folks with the BOLD screen names......Hopefully someone has a link of Hospitality Officer Andy G's post introducing the various sections of the ship Trawler Forum. I looked but couldn't find it.
Al, it was made a sticky by Craig, in under Welcome Mat forum, Subheading, 'New member orientation 102', and it's no 1 post here....

New Member Orientation 102
Old 08-30-2015, 03:56 PM   #33
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Thanks, Peter.

Here it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Welcome aboard the good ship TF.

Good afternoon, I'm the duty hospitality officer and I will show you around the ship. Follow me please.

On the port side is the engine room, the crew in this area speak in a strange dialect not often understood by the rest of the crew, they tend to be highly skilled and are not considered to be dangerous, although occasionally there will be a dispute about how best to configure the centrifugal capacitor for the main shaft( the MK 1 not the MK2 ).

Next to the engine room on the starboard side, the extreme starboard, is a door that you are not permitted to enter without a senior officer present.Take note of the sign on the door 'OTDE enter at your peril'. Crew have been seen to enter and never be seen again. You will notice that the door is on a watertight bulkhead, this is to protect the rest of the crew. I don't know exactly what they do in there, but rumours have it that they are connected to the navigation of the ship. The charts show stormy waters with the Obama shoals on the port side and with the neocon rip to starboard, it's full of icebergs, which some say are getting smaller. Sometime you will see this crew looking back over the stern of the ship, rumour has it they want us to turn around and go back.

At the forward end of the ship is a small but dedicated crew waiting for the order to drop anchor. They are considered to be entirely harmless and you are free to spend some time with them. However, it's better not to mention too much about anchors, as this just encourages them. The only slight issues this crew has is which is the best anchor to use, although they seem to have every anchor known to man, and then some.

Please follow me to the galley and officers mess. Some say this is the true reason the ship was built in the first place. The members of the ward room are a jolly lot, and as long as supplies are in, it's a good place to congregate. There has only been one instance of unpleasantness recently, a member of the mess had a picture of his empty fridge posted on our bulletin board, this caused great consternation through the normally placid crew. A board of enquiry may be convened.

The small group you see on the upper deck, sitting with their feet on the rail and beer in hand are the Oz east coast crew. That lot are so laid back it's a wonder they don't fall overboard. They are by nature members of the officers mess.

Slightly astern of them are the wood craft and screwdriver brigade, they also incorporate the flush em' away crew. These tend to be ex boy scouts and girl guides who like things neat and tidy, and working properly. They are safe to mingle with and give you good advice just like your mother did. They are nominally led by the senior female officer of the ship.

Last but not least is the bridge. The captain and senior officers pretty much let the ship steam it's own course, dodging those melting icebergs, with the occasional court of enquiry if required. They allow no flogging on board, despite hints from some of the OTDE crew. The good ship TF charts her course somewhere between Gilligan's Island and HMS Surprise(Mater & Commander)

Welcome aboard

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:54 AM   #34
Veteran Member

City: York River, VA
Vessel Name: Big Fish
Well, I've been a TF member for about a year now, but truthfully was following the Yahoo group more often. I'm also the culprit that stirred the pot recently about finding an alternative platform because Yahoo stinks. Just allowing for photos and attachments would be a huge improvement, but alas the moderators do nothing. I did start a Facebook group that I hope some of you will consider. Not looking for it to replace TF, but perhaps more social, photo sharing, etc. Anyhow, I've quit the Yahoo group (to many members delight) and will make an effort to contribute more here on TF. I will try to behave and not rock the boat (pun intended). Carry on...
02 Mainship Pilot 34
JackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:12 PM   #35
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Jack:

I noticed your Yahoo post today. The Yahoo group is going through an upheaval. The majority of members are ok with the lousy system and don't care about any changes. The moderators definitely don't care. Then there are a few of us who wish that the moderators would just allow embedded pictures and attachments- presumably a simple administrator key click, but the moderators don't know how or care.

But the Yahoo site does come up with valuable stuff from time to time. Someone just posted a link to the old Mainship factory site. That someone was probably the old site administrator. That link gives a wealth of good information. Here it is again for those who missed it: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...com/index.html

So I now monitor the Yahoo site, but will not post, well maybe once in a while like today when I just can't help myself ;-). Anyone who wants my Mainship input should post on the trawler Forum Mainship section.

David
djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:23 PM   #36
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Yahoo MS Poll Results

FYI and for the record - here is a post I made over on the MS Yahoo site...
I've joined David... will continue to monitor Yahoo (and post on rare occasions like this one) but will make my contributions here on TF.

Here are some interim results from the polls I started approx 24 hrs ago...

Change Desired at Yahoo MS Forum -
100% want change vs 0% OK as is
55% requesting allowing photo attachments
45% requesting allowing file attachments

Use of Search Tool on MS Yahoo Forum
75% either don't bother or haven't been able to search effectively (had mixed results at best)
25% Use search function often

Yahoo vs TrawlerForum Membership / Access
56% Are members of both Yahoo MS & TF

22% Have accessed TF but not joined + 7% Would Consider joining
15% Only use/ member of Yahoo MS

Above represents about 100+ votes total

I will continue to monitor as long as votes continue at a reasonable pace and will cut it off when interest wains.

My preliminary impressions / conclusions are as follows:
EVERYONE WANTS CHANGES - allowing Photos slightly more important than Attachments

History has proven that our owners / mods ARE NOT INTERESTED IN IMPROVING THIS FORUM - take it as is or leave it - seems to be the hidden message - I and others have offered suggestions and willingness to help via posts and PM's all w/ no meaningful response
Prior comments indicated that access to the History & all the Prior Knowledge was critical -
- the poll shows only about 25% can or do use the search function effectively
-I'm not sure the prior knowledge is all that critical?
Approx 85% of us are also members of TF - Have accessed TF w/o joining while only 13% Use Yahoo MS Forum exclusively for help / knowledge / etc
Given the above I guess I don't see where anyone needs to re-invent the MS Forum Wheel -
* It already exists within Trawler Forum - 2/3 or us are members and already use TF and almost another 1/4 access it w/o joining (yet)

* Why not give MS @ TF a trial - instead of posting your questions here simply go to the TF MS forum and post your questions / discussions (along with any photos or attached files) and see if it satisfies needs better that what we have here.

Just my opinion...

Don
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:06 PM   #37
Veteran Member

City: Fl
Yahoo groups is dying, not only for Mainship but all groups, it is modeled after the old List Serv.

It is a real PIA to follow threads and the original message is always repeated unless you take the time to delete it.

This forum is using vBulletin one of two of the best out there to exchange info.

TF is giving this space use it
Jimbo2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:10 PM   #38
Veteran Member

City: York River, VA
Vessel Name: Big Fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo2015 View Post
Yahoo groups is dying, not only for Mainship but all groups, it is modeled after the old List Serv.

It is a real PIA to follow threads and the original message is always repeated unless you take the time to delete it.

This forum is using vBulletin one of two of the best out there to exchange info.

TF is giving this space use it
That's another great point Jimbo. Yahoo Groups has not been improved or updated in years. I suppose they are making a few $ on ad revenue, but I think it will be shut down within the next few years.
02 Mainship Pilot 34
JackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:33 PM   #39
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Welcome to all Mainship owners and those interested

First a big welcome to any new forum members owning or interested in learning more about a Mainship...
you might want to subscribe to this section and you will get notified of new posts about Mainships.
Also - search through the other sections if you are looking for information about manufacturers equipment installed by Mainship - e.g. Yanmar engines, ZF Transmissions, Raymarine electronics, etc - these components are used by other manufacturers and you will likely find more info in the applicable TF section.

Once you find you way around and have read some posts visit the Welcome Mat section and post an entry introducing yourself, your boat and your crew.
It's a great way to get to know a few members and they to get to know you...pictures are always appreciated.

If anyone has landed here without starting with the Trawler Forum Welcome Mat or TF Support sections here are a few links that you might find helpful getting started.

"Welcome Mat" New Member Orientation 102

"Forum Support / Suggestions..." Setting up your account / Help / Tips

New "Library Function" - Find and upload useful reference material without having to search and read through old posts
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:05 PM   #40

City: Pensacola Florida
Vessel Name: Dark Lady
Vessel Model: 2008 Mainship Sedan Trawler
Trawler Forum groups....

I am still finding my way around this site and enquire if there are specific manufacturer groups. I have owned a 1984 Mainship 34 for over 15 years and have just purchased a 2008 model. I am also the current "commodore" of the Deep South Mainship Owners group. I would like to see a group that shares info for Mainshipers, especially given the lack of manufacturer support due to their bankruptcy. Marlow simply bought the name and the molds. Not aware of any support being provided by them, nor would I, understandably, anticipate such.

Thanks for any heads up or help here.

Rogoho is offline   Reply With Quote