Old 03-25-2019, 03:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Saint John
Vessel Name: Ex Squiggles, current Goin Baroque...soon to be???
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34 MKI
Mk 1 mast

I have posted this before with little response and searched hi and low for something online with no success. I absolutely hate the mast on my 1979 Mk 1. I also think a radar arch looks silly on this model plus mounting it to the fly bridge cowl gives me little faith in side to side structure. I want to build a mast that runs up from the cockpit floor, through the overhang and approx 8 ft above the cabin top. Plan to make it hinge at railing height for low bridges and road hauling. Want a boom that allows dinghy hoisting and a stay sail.Plan on a pair of stays per side. Figure it will not block sliding door too much on centerline and will be just fine when the rear glass wall is removed and a proper door put in on the starboard side. I envision the boom will either lay on a saddle on the aft railing or be cinched up almost vertical when not needed.There will be a cross arm spreader and radar perch on forward side of mast. So, anyone else see in their mind what I am proposing? Anyone done this? Did I mention I hate the stupid little forward mast and the lights right at eye level!
mgardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:36 PM   #2
Guru

It's been done. I cruised with a guy who installed one on his 1980 model I.
I don't think I have any pictures, but I know it was tied into the stringer below the cockpit deck on the starboard side and went thru the bridge deck about an inch away from the cabin wall.
I want to say it was maybe 3 inches in diameter and was stainless steel.
I remember vaguely when we tested it out at Block Island. I remember beer being involved.
If I find a pick in my archives I'll post it.
jleonard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:49 PM   #3
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Here's my arrangement.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20190325_174437.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	86852

I didn't mind my original mast. This one gets the anchor light up on top of the radar.

I wanted to be able to easily drop it for bridge clearance and this works well for that.

I've thought since then that I could easily move it to a mount on the FB with some sort of staying. Maybe two diagonals down to the railing. Would look better I think.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Saint John
Vessel Name: Ex Squiggles, current Goin Baroque...soon to be???
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34 MKI
Thanks so much j leonard, thats what I am thinking. Excellent if you find pics, if not no big deal, at least i know its been done!

Jeff, I would never add to the front mast, that looks functional though, I just hate looking at it when under way.
mgardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:49 PM   #5
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Your proposed arrangement sounds fine to me. I thought of a similar arrangement just to satisfy my radar mounting needs with the mast stepped on the FB but for a hoist I'd step it in the cockpit and through the FB. I haven't seen it done, but I think it could be easily.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:10 PM   #6
Guru

City: South Florida
AGREE, hate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgardner View Post
I just hate looking at it when under way.
Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:48 AM   #7
Guru

I got used to it. After a year or 2 it became invisible.
jleonard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:49 AM   #8

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
I took mine off. The ladies like to lay on the bow for sun and it makes for a much better view.

Currently looking for options for mounting radar but to be honest I don't really use it.
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Stockbridge,Vt - Punta Gorda,Fla.
Vessel Name: Satori
Vessel Model: 1984 34 Mainship
My MKIII came with a radar arch. No mast on the foredeck. I do have my TV antenna and anchor light on the arch, but no radar on the boat.
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:02 PM   #10
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
I'm late to the posting party but here are a few pictures showing what I came up with. We didn't care for the mast forward either. It took up room where ,like Wesson mentioned,people enjoy sitting, the anchor light was too low, it was too flimsy to do anything else with it besides flying an occasional burgee and it made me cross-eyed after it being right slam in the middle of my view all day long. I lamented for a couple of years on how to mount the radar and the system we ended up with it isn't in the way at all and took minimal bracing to securely stabilize it. Plus now the anchor light is where it's supposed to be and as an added bonus, the TV antenna tucked up under the scanner antenna for better TV reception. I had the mast built at a local fabrication shop for around $200 & the stainless hardware cost about $50. We did spray paint it with Rustoleum silver before we mounted it. 2" anodized tubing is easy to find and would've been nicer but I thought the 3" looked better but it wasn't anodized.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2077.jpg   IMG_2170.jpg   IMG_2076.jpg  
Attached Images