Old 11-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #1

Mainship 30 Pilot 2007

I'm a new Mainship 30 owner. After a heavy rain I am finding a fair amount of fresh water in the bilge. Although I* can live with a little bilge water I would like to discover the source. The main problem is water that stands under the hot water heater away from any bilge pump. Water standing under the bed is not cool. I would think that there would be a drain in the bulkhead just aft of this area. The plumbing from the airconditioner seems to be in tact. Once again, I am getting this water after rain. Can anyone shead*light on my leaks.

Thanks. jr*
Skipper737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
RE: Mainship 30 Pilot 2007

Don't know about he configuration of a Mainship but we had the same issue on our ancient Grand Banks. We eventually traced it to the fact that the design and construction of the triple lazarette hatches allowed rainwater on the deck to get into the bilge in the lazarette via the crack between the outboard and center hatches, even though there was a bronze lip that covered the crack. We came up with a cure for this and today no rainwater gets into the boat. So if you have deck hatches, you might want to check them to see if there is some way rainwater can get down past them.

Another potential entry point for rain is the anchor rode hawse. If this is not covered in some way, it can allow rain to go down alongside the chain into the anchor locker, which on many boats drains into the bilge.

Things like engine room vents can also admit rain depending on their configuration. This seems to be more likely on older boats than on newer ones but you never know.

There are probably other ways rain can get into a boat but those are three that come to mind.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
Skipper737 wrote:" Can anyone shead*light on my leaks?"
I had a 1999 Pilot 30 that had the same problem. In my case I traced it to the
cockpit hatch not being gasket-ed properly. A trip to Home Depot and about an hour
of cutting the gasket material to size solved the problem.

I'll bet John Baker will chime in on this if he ever gets back on the ground.

Attached Thumbnails
img_2462.jpg  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

That Pilot is a nice-looking boat, Walt. Why'd you get rid of it?
Old 11-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Yea the Pilot is a nice looking boat but** ..but** ...but* the Halvorsen he has now is not just a "nice looking boat" but totally georgous! A no brainer Marin.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
Guru

Mainship 30 Pilot 2007

Quote:
Marin wrote:That Pilot is a nice-looking boat, Walt. Why'd you get rid of it?
You ask and here it comes. (I'm not going to be very popular with this.)

1) The beds were terrible
2)* The boat was too tender. When hit with a wave or wake on the beam, the roll
was excessive.
3) Seating for everyone except me was terrible.
4) I was ready to try something else.

I just finished my 4th year with SeaHorse and still love the boat. We have a large island birth with an innerspring mattress, separate shower from the head, nice cockpit for the Albacore runs, good ventilation, 3K watt inverter, (no generator) NorthStar MFD (The most intuitive unit I've ever seen) drinks 6, dines 4 and sleeps 2, single Cummins 330B (Lots of room around the engine) no flybridge as I can't scramble up & down the ladder like I use to, ER camera, FloScan, great little galley, no isinglass, Simrad AP, 2 VHFs, etc. The most important thing about the boat is "it's perfect for our mission."

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Saturday 13th of November 2010 12:58:47 AM
Attached Thumbnails
img_2107.jpg   img_3329.jpg   dscn1328.jpg   img_1452.jpg   img_1520.jpg  

img_3357.jpg  
Old 11-13-2010, 12:41 AM   #7
Scraping Paint

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:...but* the Halvorsen he has now is not just a "nice looking boat" but totally georgous! A no brainer Marin.
Well, aesthetics are subjective.* No argument with Walt's reasons for changing boats, but in terms of the lines, I think the Pilot is a much better looking boat than his present one.* Not that his present boat's not a good looking boat, I just find the lines of the Pilot--- particularly the hull--- much nicer.* But that's me and it doesn't matter if I like Walt's boat or not.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:03 AM   #8

Good info, thanks. jr
Old 11-13-2010, 05:05 AM   #9

Ill check this, but my water is under the bed and not on it. Not sure is it could make it's way around the cabin roof.* Thanks. jr
Old 11-13-2010, 08:34 AM   #10
Guru

Mainship 30 Pilot 2007

Quote:
Marin wrote:Well, aesthetics are subjective.** I just find the lines of the Pilot--- particularly the hull--- much nicer.
I agree, It's a "bondes vs brunettes"* kinda thing.

That's what drew me to the Pilot. (And the price! Lotta boat for the money)
My wife, however, wasn't nuts about the boat and wanted something more*
up-scale. If the decision in buying a boat was left up to me, I would have
almost exactly what Carey has. (No flybridge though...bad back....can't
scramble anymore.)

My next boat will probably look like this:

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Saturday 13th of November 2010 10:38:32 AM
Attached Thumbnails
duffy on the water.jpg   duffy 35' helm.jpg  
Old 11-13-2010, 08:59 AM   #11
Guru

Mainship 30 Pilot 2007

mistake!

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Saturday 13th of November 2010 11:00:49 AM
Old 11-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #12
Scraping Paint

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:
My next boat will probably look like this:
What is it?
Old 11-13-2010, 11:12 AM   #13
Guru

Mainship 30 Pilot 2007

Quote:
Marin wrote:

What is it?
It's a 35' Duffy.* What make is Carey's boat?

The Duffy 35 :: Atlantic Boat Company :: Builders of Duffy and BHM Commercial and Pleasure Boats

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Saturday 13th of November 2010 01:21:09 PM
Attached Thumbnails
duff 35.jpg  
Old 11-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #14
Guru

Being an east coaster I like Duffys a lot. Great hulls, they can handle just about anything.
I have been on several. Any slop at 16 knots they are silk. Power them so they can do 30 knots and they are fine untill there are more than 2 footers..even then they charge thru it as long as your fillings are tight.
Sorry for the drool
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:44 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Atlantic Boat is just down the road from us. They are sort of "on hold" until the economy improves, although if you want to order a boat I'm sure they will accommodate you. They bought out Duffy awhile back.

Duffy/Atlantic Boat designs are (some/all?) from Spencer Lincoln, one of our local characters (as is Richard Duffy). The Zimmerman 36/38 (http://zimmermanmarine.com/boat-building/z38) is a Lincoln design. And Zimmerman also has a 46 based on a Jarvis Newman hull (http://zimmermanmarine.com/boat-building/z46). All pretty and capable boats.

And if money is no object in a "Downeast" style and you don't care where it is built, there is Vicem. Wooden. Saw one of their 70 somethings this summer and it was pretty impressive. (http://www.vicemyacht.com/index.php/...flybridge/52-2)
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:38 PM   #16
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
Mainship 30 Pilot 2007

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:
Marin wrote:

What is it?
It's a 35' Duffy.* What make is Carey's boat?

The Duffy 35 :: Atlantic Boat Company :: Builders of Duffy and BHM Commercial and Pleasure Boats

Quote:
Walt
Quote:
My boat is a Spencer Lincoln designed boat. The hull mold was built by Blue Hill Marine. The basic boat was built by Flye Point Marine, which is now Atlantic Boat Company. It is the same hull used on the Zimmerman 36' bulit for Passagemakers founding father. Atlantic now builds primarily Duffy boats, which are also designed by Spencer Lincoln. Although you can still buy a duplicate of my hull from Atlantic, it appears they are using a different house mold, which allows variable headroom to the owners specs.
Quote:
Carey

PS-As to Duffy, the only thing I like better about my boat is the stem. Rather than a slight outward curve, mine has a rather straight line with opposite curves at top and bottom.*

-- Edited by Carey on Saturday 13th of November 2010 08:46:56 PM

-- Edited by Carey on Saturday 13th of November 2010 08:49:24 PM
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #17
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

I have the same issue Walt was mentioning with the cockpit hatch. My answer to your issue would be Air Condiitoning condensate from the AC...do you leave the AC when the boat is unattended....maybe you leave it in the dehumidifier mode. If that is the case, Mainship just allows it to drain into the bilge....like most boats. Other than that, I would check the Anchor locker.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:29 AM   #18

The anchor locker has a drain to the outside. The airconditioner has plumbing that drains it to the shower sump. This is why I am scratching my head. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:50 PM   #19
Scraping Paint

Mainship 30 Pilot 2007

While we have completely hijacked this thread that is supposed to be about Mainships, I really like the basis lobsterboat hull. I don't think there is a prettier design. BUT.... not all lobsterboat designs are created equal.

There are a bazillion lobsterboats on Prince Edward Island and virtually all of them use the same hull design. I have no idea how this design originated or the reasoning behind it, but I don't care for it at all. They all have this short section of reverse sheer at the bow. Fiberglass or wood, brand new or very old, all the hundreds of boats we saw on PEI have this same configuration.

The only thing I can think of is that they get some really rough seas there--- PEI sits right where the Atlantic, the Gulf of St. Lawrance, and Northumberland Strait come together and the island and it's prime lobster grounds are wide open to storms from the northeast. So perhaps they wanted a REALLY high bow and this was the only way they could connect it with the very low afterbody that's needed to work the pots. If that's the case I can understand and appreciate the design. But if they just did it this way because someone thought it looked good, I'm not so sure.....

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 15th of November 2010 02:52:02 PM
Attached Thumbnails
lobster 10.jpg  
Old 11-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
Marin wrote:

While we have completely hijacked this thread that is supposed to be about Mainships, I really like the basis lobsterboat hull. I don't think there is a prettier design. BUT.... not all lobsterboat designs are created equal.

There are a bazillion lobsterboats on Prince Edward Island and virtually all of them use the same hull design. I have no idea how this design originated or the reasoning behind it, but I don't care for it at all. They all have this short section of reverse sheer at the bow. Fiberglass or wood, brand new or very old, all the hundreds of boats we saw on PEI have this same configuration.

The only thing I can think of is that they get some really rough seas there--- PEI sits right where the Atlantic, the Gulf of St. Lawrance, and Northumberland Strait come together and the island and it's prime lobster grounds are wide open to storms from the northeast. So perhaps they wanted a REALLY high bow and this was the only way they could connect it with the very low afterbody that's needed to work the pots. If that's the case I can understand and appreciate the design. But if they just did it this way because someone thought it looked good, I'm not so sure.....

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 15th of November 2010 02:52:02 PM
"...There are a bazillion lobsterboats on Prince Edward Island..." Its not like you Marin to be so imprecise.

A boat with a reverse bow sheer as pictured is known around here as a "Novi Boat" (from Nova Scotia). The term is sometimes used as a neutral, identifying term but more often as a derogatory term.

dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote