Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Builders Forums > Marlow - Mainship

Old 10-28-2014, 10:18 AM   #1
City: Stenungsund
Vessel Name: M/Y Maya
Vessel Model: MS 400T
Question How about to extend the length of my 400T

My wife and I brought a new MS to Sweden in 2005 and we are happy with its performance in this part of the world.
Now I have an idea, that may sound weird, and itís to extend the hull of my 400T, during the winter when we keeps our boats indoors. I did see a 400T 2008 for sale in Australia with an extension of the hull like 2-3 feet under the swim platform.
Does anyone know if itís standard or special made?
If itís standard, do you guys knows or have an idea were to find information about the purpose, the outcome like performance etc and maybe where to find some drawings? (also have needs for the standard drawings of the hull).
What are your opinions to put a smaller engine with a S-drive as a "limp home system" in this extension?
Would appreciate a lot any comments on this theme

boan400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
City: Essex, Ct
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Wow, I saw your similar post over on the Mainship Yahoo forum and decided to stay out of it for now and see where it went. But here is a little easier to post and follow the responses, so here goes:

Are you sure that you are talking about the Mainship 400? The 390 came with an integral swim platform that extended the waterline length. Lots of problems with leakage and Mainship probably wishes they never had done it that way.

But I don't think that the factory installed one on the 400T. You might browse Steve Cyr's excellent website dedicated to his 400T at Steven Cyr's Stella Blue Site. It gives lots of ideas for upgrades but not adding a waterline extending swim platform.

If you were to add one like the 390 has then you might screw up the balance and could certainly affect the rudder response. You would be adding several feet of displacement behind the rudder pivot point, so it can't help but act differently.

And you are also thinking of adding a get home drive there!! Buy a Nordhavn if you want a get home engine.

djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:12 PM   #3
City: Onsala
Vessel Name: Taurus
Vessel Model: MT 34
I've sent you a email :-)
robertgerle is offline   Reply With Quote