Generator suggestions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Who says its on a swim platform?
It appears pretty commonly done from what I have seen and it reduces the odds of carbon monoxide entering the cabin

Making all inclusive assumptions is just as rude.
I believe my point was misconstrued, I believe it is the rare occasion that they are heard and akin to occasions when you can hear a conversation a significant distance across the water. I'm not doubting those who say they have heard them and been annoyed but that it is the rare exception. But if you prefer to assume I am being rude, you are welcome to do so.

So I really don't miss having a diesel genny. Indeed, I tossed the 7.5 kW Onan and the 2.5 kW Mase units the PO had installed and have no regrets at all.
Have to ask, Why would you toss something that was already installed and you had paid for?

Have to ask, Why would you toss something that was already installed and you had paid for?

The Onan was 30 years old and had 2500 hours. It performed under load but the 2 cyl engine was quite noisy. It was likely to need work quite soon. Once you start spending on something like that it just keeps on going and adding up. In 6 months I only ran it once, really just to test it. So I concluded that I didn't need it. The space it was in could be better used.

The Mase was a 3600rpm & 2500W diesel unit. A screaming noise for not much output. It was poorly installed in the lazarette, taking a third of available space. Once again, work was going to be needed, and the space it occupied was more important.

Yeah, fair cop.
Hate those fast spinners and two potters.

Regarding the Honda generator....

It is even wayyyy quieter than my 8KW in a sound shield when the Honda is on the back deck and you arent in the aft cabin bed.

A Honda generator on the back deck may be quieter for you inside the boat than your genset, but what about other folks in the anchorage?

As a sailor, I was always annoyed by other sailors that ran their Honda generators for hours in an anchorage.

Do all the posts on the forum take on a life of their own ????? :) :)
Newbie question !!
Anyway thanks again ! All good info.
So far and to recap. I was looking for suggestions and info on generators to heat water and coffee and maybe charge batteries.
Engine heated hot water is a great idea. I'll look into that when the perfectly good 120v water heater there now needs replaced.
Several suggested new, more, different batteries. Great for when the 3 group 31 batteries installed in 2015 need replacing.
Inverter for when I get the newer batteries. Takes care of the coffee. Still won't heat water for a shower though...
Solar is doable with the enclosure on the boat. Takes care of the batteries maybe.
So, I need a new water heater, figure out how to hook to the motor, more batteries, inverter, and solar and I'll be all set !!! Throw in a genny too and I'll have Plan A, Plan B, and maybe Plan C all covered.
All in good fun, hope everybody takes it that way :)

Newbie question !!
Anyway thanks again ! All good info.
So far and to recap. I was looking for suggestions and info on generators to heat water and coffee and maybe charge batteries.
Engine heated hot water is a great idea. I'll look into that when the perfectly good 120v water heater there now needs replaced.
Several suggested new, more, different batteries. Great for when the 3 group 31 batteries installed in 2015 need replacing.
Inverter for when I get the newer batteries. Takes care of the coffee. Still won't heat water for a shower though...
Solar is doable with the enclosure on the boat. Takes care of the batteries maybe.
So, I need a new water heater, figure out how to hook to the motor, more batteries, inverter, and solar and I'll be all set !!! Throw in a genny too and I'll have Plan A, Plan B, and maybe Plan C all covered.
All in good fun, hope everybody takes it that way :)
A water heater is in the neighborhood of 1200 Watts, (my 20 gallon unit is anyway) well within the capability most inverter/chargers. With a 100 amp alternator you can heat the water heater while cruising using the inverter. Takes about an hour to heat up and a day or two to cool off.
You could solve your desires for about $1500 if you can do the work yourself..

Last edited:
Didn`t dear departed Marin have a story about a swimstep located hard working Honda and an unhappy boat nearby? What was that splash?

Any suggestions on a generator ? Size ? Mainly want it to run the water heater for showers and morning coffee. Maybe not at the same time.

Solly, here is your question on post #1. The space has been identified for you by several fellow Mainship owners. Size by many others. The question back to you is quite simple, when will you install this wonderful diesel genset that is/was at one time uppermost on your agenda?

Last edited:

Yes, and you also need a bow thruster, a stern thruster, and two new anchors.

:)

-Chris

Regarding the Honda generator....

A Honda generator on the back deck may be quieter for you inside the boat than your genset, but what about other folks in the anchorage?

As a sailor, I was always annoyed by other sailors that ran their Honda generators for hours in an anchorage.

I put it someplace where boat superstructure is between it and other boats or nearby people.

on econo throttle it is unoticeable at more than 50 feet on the other side of the boat.

if the anchorage is crowded or so silent that I cant shield it from others well enough, I put it on the flybridge which is noisier inside the boat but still very hard to hear more than 100 feet away (flybridge also has stuff all the way around) or I run the big genset.

there is a lot of rude behavior all over the water, especially in anchorages, I try not to be part of it.

Last edited:

Only the interesting topics and things our wives don't care to hear about. You should feel good about doing a service to the community every time a thread goes long by tying up idle hands that would surely be getting into trouble otherwise.
Double check your existing water heater , it may have the built in engine coolant heat exchanger feature but not connected. Some have the heat exchange connections on the opposite site as the potable connections.

Solly, here is your question on post #1. The space has been identified for you by several fellow Mainship owners. Size by many others. The question back to you is quite simple, when will you install this wonderful diesel genset that is/was at one time uppermost on your agenda?

Well as a matter of fact...
I have an Onan MDJA I bought for $ 100. Now seriously you do get what you pay for. Needs major work. End caps on the heat exchanger blew (froze probably) out but the coolant was green, turned over, and oil looked good. Fires off but has yet to run well and make power. So it's a project and all bets are off on the outcome.
But continuing a long line of tinkerers, fabricators, hard headed cheapskates and having access to a metal lathe and CNC mill I hope to make something of it. :banghead:
It's a 3 kw genny. So now I know where it goes and where the exhaust should go. I know it 'should' handle the load I expect to put on it.
I also think it would make a pretty good anchor or mooring ball ! :thumb:
Stay tuned !! No idle hands or minds allowed....

My Isotherm water heater is only 750W...yet because of better isulation warms up bearly as quick as my last heater.

Fantastic compared to the less expensive cube ones...does have engine loop for heating...the only issue is the wierd, specific model or brand only element if it quits. Cant get one just anyplace.

Last edited:
Double check your existing water heater , it may have the built in engine coolant heat exchanger feature but not connected. Some have the heat exchange connections on the opposite site as the potable connections.

I saw a wonderful solution years ago - for just a couple hundred dollars you can hook up an external swimming pool heat exchanger, insulate it, and just circulate your potable water (with a small 12/24VDC pump) from Tee's in the input and output lines of the water heater. Simple and cheap option.

A residential water heater, say 20-30 gallons, can be bought for a few hundred dollars from Home Depot. However, with an internal heat exchanger loop (solar water tank in the US, a calorifier in the UK) you add a thousand bucks on top of that.

Insisting on buying a "marine grade" unit from West Marine or Defender is another order of magnitude higher, and a fraction of the capacity.

Back
Top Bottom