Generator removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

porman

Guru
Vessel Name
Beach Music II
Vessel Make
2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
There's a Mainship 430 owner on Facebook that needs to remove his generator. Anyone on here have any experience doing this? Looking at my own boat it doesn't look easy.

I did have the pleasure of doing exactly that last year and it was very difficult and expensive. But at least I now have a working generator.

I took my 8KW apart and shipped the generator end to be rebuilt.

Did it by myself using just household (boat) tidbits to raise it and uncouple it. The whole generator end weighed about 160 pounds so the separate stator and rotor were manageable to lift by myself in pieces.

Shipping and rebuild on the generator end was $2500..... so thats all it cost other than new plywood and mounts..... as those needed redoing anyway.

It may require some disassembly for removal depending on hatch sizes.

I did have the pleasure of doing exactly that last year and it was very difficult and expensive. But at least I now have a working generator.

TJ, did you take it out in one piece through the engine bay. Or did you pull up floorboards and go straight up?

The guys at the yard made a ramp to slide it up and out of the rear entryway. I didn’t actually witness that part (which is probably a good thing!). There was no damage.

Made a rig from 2x6 pine with three 2 x 6’s making the beam at the top, all through bolted with 3/8 mild steel. Chain and cheap Harbour Freight come-along pulled the 375 lb unit from under the galley easily, then rolled it on a cheap Harbor Freight furniture dolly. I had everything including the four 4x6x12 pine boards, but with all the material purchased new it would still probably be under $125 or so. (I wouldn’t trust the cheap cable come-along for many uses). As you can see, the rig was stabilized by the space itself. If you are in an open area, X-braces on legs would be needed. No damage from this setup. If you have stairs, a rented refrigerator dolly could do it if it’s under 500 lbs..

Attachments

• E958203F-5860-4DCE-899E-0B2CBF06FF31.jpg
    E958203F-5860-4DCE-899E-0B2CBF06FF31.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom