Old 11-14-2013, 04:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: beach point
dripless shaft log

I have a 2006 pilot 30 rumrunner how often should this seal be changed i have 500 hrs on boat. Also the generater i placed over it and i think i would need a very small person to do this or will the generator have to come out.

BEACH POINT ,PEI, CANADA
jamie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:08 AM   #2

City: Miami
PSS used to be 6 yrs for everything. tides recommends changing at least the lip seal every 2 years or when any shaft work is done. Neither company would like them to be inaccessible. Any way to make an access port next to the genny? Sounds a bit scary to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone

Old 11-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Recommend every 6+ years. We have gone 9 years, in June going to be pulled and the Drippless boot and seals will be replaced. Each time you pull the drippless should be checked and each year visually checked. As a safe guard, I sealed between the SS collar and the shaft with 4200 caulking as the O rings in the collar are usually the first to fail. A common failure of a drippless is the SS collar slipping forward so the seal between the collar and boot is no tight. I have a hose clamp in front of the collar as a safe gaurd and blue paper towels under the drippless so if there is a leak itís easy to see.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

City: beach point
I will be relocating my gen set that previous owner had installed for easy access to my shaft seals.for the amount of time it is used and the low hours on it i may sell it and go with a honda 2000.
BEACH POINT ,PEI, CANADA
jamie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:48 PM   #5

City: RI
Replacing the dripless shaft seal on a 2001 is a PITA. On your back and doing all the work with one hand, blind is about what the task calls for. Just did mine this winter. I hope it lasts a long time.
jimrobertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Myers
We have 15 years and 2000 hours, no drips, no excessive wear or rubber cracking, not sure I would have switched if they told me I was only getting two year out of it, that's crazy.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #7
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
We are pulling in June and will replace the boot and the O rings. 7 years.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Palm Coast, Florida
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler
9 + years on Tides, boat started taking water at dock, ran her to the marina and ended up having seals replaced on both shafts.
Flatsflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:32 PM   #9
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
I replaced my PSS seals last year at 11 years. I know the guys at PSS (they provided the first "points" awards for ActiveCaptain). I asked them a few years ago if the 6 year life was for real. They said that it usually lasts about 10 if you keep everything clean and check the rubber boot often for cracking. When I replaced mine, there still was no cracking but the boat was being hauled and I figured I was pushing my luck.

I had about 4,000 hours on them at replacement.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:09 AM   #10
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
I replaced my PSS seals last year at 11 years. I know the guys at PSS (they provided the first "points" awards for ActiveCaptain). I asked them a few years ago if the 6 year life was for real. They said that it usually lasts about 10 if you keep everything clean and check the rubber boot often for cracking. When I replaced mine, there still was no cracking but the boat was being hauled and I figured I was pushing my luck.

I had about 4,000 hours on them at replacement.

This seems to jibe with what my local yard (Philbrooks) has found.

One of their clients on a recent cruise in Mexico had some issues with the retaining screws backing off allowing the seal to slip with resultant heavy water inflow. So during our haul out earlier this month zinc collars were placed forward of the ring to double up the retaining grip. P/F does it this way too as I recall. The bellows are in remarkable shape and nary a drop of water has ever appeared.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Palm Coast, Florida
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler
If you have "Tides" remember there is a second seal that is located inside the front carrier. If your original seal starts leaking you can replace it with the spare in the carrier. Just remember that once you use they backup, you have no back up. When time to replace make sure the second seal is installed inside of the carrier.

Flatsflyer is offline   Reply With Quote