Old 11-20-2015, 01:17 AM   #21
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Here are the dimensions of inch sized PEX tube.
PEX tubing technical specifications and general installation practices
Why don't you buy a 15 mm fitting and try it. I bet 15 mm PEX measures E290 OD.
I won't be back to my store until Monday or I'd go measure a piece for you.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:43 AM   #22
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
The fittings in your pics are Flair-It fittings, available on line or at many RV stores.

See FLAIR-IT by THC for details...

I understand SharkBite metal fittings -- from Home Depot, etc. -- are also equally easy to use... and there's not necessarily a reason why all your fittings have to be the same product.

-Chris

Jack, the clear/transparent PEX tubing Luhrs-related builders used is usually marked with color coded (red for hot, blue for cold, no surprises there) sizing info printed along the tubing somewhere. The whole boat will have the same stuff, so if tubing near the WH isn't marked, it'll likely be visible somewhere else, e.g., into and out of the freshwater pump, etc. (I think Lurhs Group builders switched to opaque red and blue PEX in more recent years, before the bankruptcy.)

I have the same WH and the same fittings as yours. Just checked my picture deck, but don't happen to have one with the sizing info visible; some of the other info is, but not the sizing.

That said (and from memory of our system), I'd bet your PEX tubing is marked as 1/2" (ID) and then the Flair-It fittings are sized to match.

-Chris

Old 11-20-2015, 10:14 AM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Jack, the clear/transparent PEX tubing Luhrs-related builders used is usually marked with color coded (red for hot, blue for cold, no surprises there) sizing info printed along the tubing somewhere. The whole boat will have the same stuff, so if tubing near the WH isn't marked, it'll likely be visible somewhere else, e.g., into and out of the freshwater pump, etc. (I think Lurhs Group builders switched to opaque red and blue PEX in more recent years, before the bankruptcy.)

I have the same WH and the same fittings as yours. Just checked my picture deck, but don't happen to have one with the sizing info visible; some of the other info is, but not the sizing.

That said (and from memory of our system), I'd bet your PEX tubing is marked as 1/2" (ID) and then the Flair-It fittings are sized to match.

-Chris
Good bet, having worked with the pex on the newer Sea Rays....best way to ID what was probably used on that model and make versus some universal number that might not have been used.

Builders an be goofy from one build to the next....but usually consistent on a particular run.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:50 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: York River, VA
Vessel Name: Big Fish
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
close the loop

Well, just to close up this thread... If you recall, I have tubing that is 5/8" OD. We had debates about using ID or OD for various types of pipe/tubing. I bought 1/2" OD fittings at Home Depot, which of course did not fit. But they did not have any that were 5/8". I went to a large plumbing supply nearby and the guy there was of no help. I then went to West Marine, thinking perhaps this was a "marine" thing. I bought Whale fittings that said 15MM on them, thinking perhaps my 5/8" was indeed 15MM. But the fine print on the package also said 1/2". (How can 15MM (.59") be the same fitting as 1/2"?) They didn't work. Finally, the genius brother in law looks at it and says this is 1/2", goes to Lowes and hands me Blue Hawk fittings, marked as 1/2". Says they work with PEX, CPVC or copper. Fits like a glove.

Bottom line: Yes, these "push fittings" can make anyone a plumber, but the industry is doing its best to make it confusing for us laymen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151130_153525565[1].jpg
Views:	43
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	46976  
’02 Mainship Pilot 34
JackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:42 AM   #25

City: Jarrettsville, MD.
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 30' Rumrunner
Jack,
The blue hawk and shark bite fittings are great, re-usable. I did double check of my tubing and it is Sea-tech. It looks identical to Pex with same OD. It maybe the same stuff just a different manufacture? From your picture it looks like your blue hawk fittings are plastic. They sell a similar blue hawk 1/2" OD fitting made of brass and plastic. A little expensive I have never seen 15 MM. That doesn't mean anything, plastic changed the plumbing industry forever. Now your faucets are plastic and not chrome plated brass or bronze.
I always identified pipe by OD, can't remember anyone identifying a pipe or fittings by ID?. The old saying was you can thread pipe not tubing.
Glad to see you found the fittings at the local Lowes or Home Depot.
Jeff.
jskinner30PII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:40 AM   #26
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Pipe Sizing Demystified

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskinner30PII View Post
I always identified pipe by OD, can't remember anyone identifying a pipe or fittings by ID?. The old saying was you can thread pipe not tubing.
HISTORY OF PIPING SIZE TERMS
Pipe sizes can be confusing because the terminology may relate to historical dimensions. For example, a half-inch iron pipe does not have any dimension that is a half inch.
Initially, a half inch pipe did have an inner diameter of 0.5 inches (13 mm)—but it also had thick walls. As technology improved, thinner walls became possible, but the outside diameter stayed the same so it could mate with existing older pipe, increasing the inner diameter beyond half an inch.
The history of copper pipe is similar. In the 1930s, the pipe was designated by its internal diameter and a 1⁄16-inch (1.6 mm) wall thickness. Consequently, a 1-inch (25 mm) copper pipe had a 1 1⁄8-inch (28.58 mm) outside diameter. The outside diameter was the important dimension for mating with fittings. The wall thickness on modern copper is usually thinner than 1⁄16 inches (1.6 mm), so the internal diameter is only "nominal" rather than a controlling dimension.[6] Newer pipe technologies sometimes adopted a sizing system as its own. PVC pipe uses the Nominal Pipe Size.

Pipe sizes are specified by a number of national and international standards, including API 5L, ANSI/ASME B36.10M and B36.19M in the US, BS 1600 and BS EN 10255 in the United Kingdom and Europe.

There are two common methods for designating pipe outside diameter (OD). The North American method is called NPS ("Nominal Pipe Size") and is based on inches (also frequently referred to as NB ("Nominal Bore")). The European version is called DN ("Diametre Nominal" / "Nominal Diameter") and is based on millimetres. Designating the outside diameter allows pipes of the same size to be fit together no matter what the wall thickness.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:59 AM   #27
Veteran Member

City: York River, VA
Vessel Name: Big Fish
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Thanks for the education Don. Seems that using OD for everything would make sense. But I surely could not find any 5/8" fittings. :-)
’02 Mainship Pilot 34
JackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:08 AM   #28
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. JD. " Seems that using OD for everything would make sense." Well, yes and no. Pipe is measured and designated by ID whereas tubing is measured and sized by OD. So your water pipe may actually be water tubing. Throw in the SAE or metric system and...