Old 10-05-2015, 01:43 PM   #1

City: Lakewood, NJ
Deck box onboard the Mainship 390

We are looking for more storage on the Mainship 390. Does anyone have a dock storage box onboard? We are thinking of putting one onboard and don't know if this would present a problem while underway with weight distribution. Any ideas?

sjhoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:47 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjhoman View Post
We are looking for more storage on the Mainship 390. Does anyone have a dock storage box onboard? We are thinking of putting one onboard and don't know if this would present a problem while underway with weight distribution. Any ideas?
As to the weight distribution issue, think of it this way. If a 200lb person sat down where you are thinking of putting the box, would you notice and difference in the attitude of your boat?

If you're unsure of the answer, borrow someone and have them sit there while you motor around.

Of course you could use some 5 gallon buckets of water, sand or something as well.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:53 PM   #3
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
We have two dock boxes up top. For us couldn't imagine the weight being an issue. On the starboard side is a 12 ft rib, and on port is the crane and the two dock boxes.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:54 PM   #4

City: Grand Island NY
Vessel Name: Missy
Vessel Model: Mainship 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
As to the weight distribution issue, think of it this way. If a 200lb person sat down where you are thinking of putting the box, would you notice and difference in the attitude of your boat?

If you're unsure of the answer, borrow someone and have them sit there while you motor around.

Of course you could use some 5 gallon buckets of water, sand or something as well.
We have a big Igloo fish cooler for a dock box on the far starboard side. We have a cushion on it and people sit on all the time with no impact on the boats behaviour.
ronlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:08 PM   #5

City: Daytona
Vessel Model: Present 38
Thumbs up Dock Box

Quote:
I have a full sized dock box on the sun deck of my Present 38, it does not affect boat in any way, just make sure it is centered on the longitudinal axis of your boat. It holds a lot of gear is very handy and also doubles as a bench seat, I way 250 lbs. and it supports the load adequately.
Captain JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:14 PM   #6

City: Daytona
Vessel Model: Present 38
Exclamation Dock box

Why is it you ALWAYS see the typos after you hit the send button?

I meant "weigh" not "way" sorry the spelling error all...
Captain JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:57 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
JJ, you can hit the edit button and make changes, for up to two hours (I think) after you post.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:24 AM   #8

City: Louisville
Vessel Name: Lucky Dog
Vessel Model: Mainship 350 Trawler
I would think of favoring the centerline or starboard of the boat centerline because the port is the heavier side of the boat.
David O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 03:46 PM   #9

City: Lakewood, NJ
Thank you for your help
sjhoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:55 PM   #10

City: Southern California
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by David O View Post
I would think of favoring the centerline or starboard of the boat centerline because the port is the heavier side of the boat.
My 390 is balanced to very slightly lower on the starboard side, maybe due to a heavy hide-a-bed. Depending on boat loading, everyone's may be different. The OP would need to check his.

We're exploring storage options for ours, including a small dock box upper deck, port side just aft of existing bench so we don't block view aft from upper helm. Also considering dumping hide-a-bed for a lighter sleeper sofa with storage under. But we're also contemplating losing 2/3 of the TV cabinet aft of the refrigerator to allow us to slide in a nice compact recliner, so we'd be loosing some storage there. These Mainships like many boats are full of compromise. She's kind of utilitarian and fills many roles well. Just none great. That's OK.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:53 PM   #11

City: Southern California
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by David O View Post
My 390 is balanced to very slightly lower on the starboard side, maybe due to a heavy hide-a-bed. Depending on boat loading, everyone's may be different. The OP would need to check his (not that a couple hundred pounds is going to have too much impact).

We're exploring storage options for ours, including a small dock box upper deck, port side just aft of existing bench so we don't block view aft from upper helm. Also considering dumping hide-a-bed for a lighter sleeper sofa with storage under. But we're also contemplating losing 2/3 of the TV cabinet aft of the refrigerator to allow us to slide in a nice compact recliner, so we'd be loosing some storage there. These Mainships like many boats are full of compromise. She's kind of utilitarian and fills many roles well. Just none great. That's OK.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:17 AM   #12

City: Grand Island NY
Vessel Name: Missy
Vessel Model: Mainship 350
Quote:
Picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	030.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	45437  

ronlord is offline   Reply With Quote