Old 04-25-2019, 01:10 PM   #1

City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: La Bella Vita
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
Engine room vent

My 34T 2006 needs an engine vent. Just like a bunch of you guys. I finally got an email for a replacement. $600.00!!!!
No thanks. I will be making mine. The top and bottom is Star Board and has slots for the blades. I will make new frames and put slots for 3/16 thick white plexi glass. The thinnest star board is 1/4. I think that would be too thick? Maybe even 1/8 would be good. I checked on Amazon and it would cost me less then $50. A table saw and a router table is all I would need. Has anyone done this? I will take some pictures when I start. I keep THINKING about starting, then something comes up. Yesterday I had to clip my toe nails!
Any ideas? Maybe someone has a better idea?
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:48 AM   #2

City: Freeport, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Guns 'N' Hoses II
Vessel Model: 2004 34' Pilothouse Sedan
I have a 34’ Pilothouse so I am not exactly sure what you need to fix/replace. If ou can add a picture of it perhaps others might be able to come up with suggestions. I try to think like you about making a replacement when the quoted price seems to be excessive.
Freeport, NY
kwmeyer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:45 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Here's one prior post re the vent.
There have been a few others I'm aware of. Scan through Marlow- Mainship and or search will turn up more.
Sone suppliers I believe will sell the "slats" if you find the correct profile DIY rebuilding these shouldn't be too difficult.
Finding a source for the exact profile is the key.
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=43467
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:15 PM   #4

I did go to previous posts. The cheapest was $450 and as high as $700. I am not prepared to drop that amount on something so simple. I did remove the vent and it is thicker than I thought. Once I figure out how to repair it, I will have some pix. The blades are 2 pcs. Seems like some sort of design for air flow? It's just a 17" square hole in the side of the boat right now. I think a stainless steel vent would have a nice look.
Pictures to follow.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:58 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Molly
Post some pics of the vanes please....
I had mine out to paint it and didn't think mine were 2 pcs?
If you can trace the curve & extensions on them I would do some research to see If I can find a supplier for the vane material. Rebuilding shouldn't be too difficult if I could find a source for same / similar ones that would fit the outside frame.
Mine is OK for now but will need replacement sooner or later.
Thanks
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:56 PM   #6
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
I'm watching this thread with interest. I was one of the guys who looked into this, as my vanes are in bad shape. I contacted the company that originally made the vent, they were nice but seemed very confused about what part it actually is. They quoted me $450, but when I saw the specs it looked nothing like my vent and I lost confidence in them.

As Molly said, it's just the vanes, the frame is in great shape. If we could find the right material it would be an easy fix.
Dougcole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:14 AM   #7

Baccus
I mean 2 pcs, they are "welded" together. It looks like 1 pc., but there are 2 pcs. I will post some pix in a day or 2. I think I'm going with white plastic replacements. Maybe 1/8 or 3/16 th'k. I will make a separate frame out of starboard and router slots for the vanes. (at least that's today's thought)
Old 05-15-2019, 08:26 AM   #8

Finally! I rebuilt my vent. I used a stainless steel mesh. The mesh is made from 1/16 dia. and the square openings are 3/16. I think it looks OK, but you can see inside the engine room. I need to add something to the back side. But, it cost me $50.00 vs. $600. So, I'll deal with it.

I used starboard for the frame. I cut a groove on my table saw for the mesh. They do make a beige starboard, I used white, because I had some in the garage. Still looks OK.Click image for larger version

Name:	vent.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	88663

Click image for larger version

Name:	vent2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	88664

Click image for larger version

Name:	vent3.jpg
Views:	44