Cost for new Phyfertech Sun Screens?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boiler81

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Serenity Beach
Vessel Make
2009 34 Mainship FB Trawler
New 2009 MS34 T owner and the PO removed the sun shades, but the snaps remain. Anyone have an idea what new set of Phifertex sun screens should cost for the three front, two forward sides, and helm door window?

I know I could possibly make them myself but have too many other projects this winter/spring including reupholstering all the upper helm seating.

It isn’t just the cost, it may be tough to find someone to do the work. It is difficult around here to find any canvas shops that aren’t busy as all get out. Personally I would just make them myself. Very easy to do. I use Sunbrella facing. It is 2” wide. I fold it around the edge of the Pfifertex and sew it on. It gives you a solid place to put the snaps in. It would take about a day to sew them up.

I'd guess in the $100/window range by thr time the dust settles for someone to come out, measure, fabricate, return and fit.

Sounds like you have some skills with sewing machine. As Comodave suggests, this happens to be a pretty simple but you would need a couple tools if you don't already have them. One is a doo-hickey that folds binding tape onto edge of fabric (pic shown is 1" polyester webbing - cheap, durable, and UV tolerant).

Second tool is sorta expensive - a snap press ($165 or so) plus an assortment of snaps. Once you own one you won't want to ever be without it again. Million uses.

Final pic is a tool roll I recently sewed up using same technique as Pgifertex screens would use. First tool roll I did took me a several hours. The fourth one took a bit over an hour.

Sailrite has a ton of very helpful videos.

Good luck

Peter 20221211_132541.jpg20221211_132528.jpg20221211_133416.jpg

When I use facing to bind the edge I don’t use any adapter on the sewing machine to fold the facing. Since it is 2” wide it is easy to fold around the edge and sew down. Also it makes a good width for snaps. I do have the snap tool and it is great. Much better and faster than using the hammer setup to install the snaps.

I had one made to cover pilothouse windows. Wrapped/snapped one piece. $400 labor and I provided the materials.

Don't limit yourself to marine canvas shops. I found a local tent and awning place that was happy to make them and didn't charge much.

When I use facing to bind the edge I don’t use any adapter on the sewing machine to fold the facing. Since it is 2” wide it is easy to fold around the edge and sew down. Also it makes a good width for snaps. I do have the snap tool and it is great. Much better and faster than using the hammer setup to install the snaps.
The folding gizmo is super handy. Mine is pretty cheap - under $20 for 1-inch wide material. Sailrite has a swing away model that is around $65 but allows you to not have to remove the adapter.

I recently discovered mini clips instead of pins. Absolute godsend. My final recent upgrade was to replace the foot pedal control on my 25-year old walking foot machine. Much better slow speed control with new electronic version.

I enjoy sewing even though I'm not great. I took Home Economics back in 8th grade and sewed a Frostline tent. Was the only boy in the class (Salt Lake City UT), though I didn't do it for that reason - I liked to cook too. Turned out I learned early on that gals love it when a guy cooks for them.

Frostline tent didn't turn out very well. Fetucinne Alfredo was a hit.

Peter

My wife asked me today if I was going to make dinner. I said fine as long as you want a bowl of cereal for dinner…

My windows are trapezoid shape and EZ to just fold the mes under 2x as the edging / reinforcing for snap insertion for sun screens.
I had old screens so again EZ to trace and add 2X the hew width desired.
If interested. RockfordSupply,com has better pricing than SailRite and frequently has 2nds & close-out fabrics available at very attractive prices.
I agree... you mightnspendvas much time finding a shop to do screens as it would take to DIY.

My wife asked me today if I was going to make dinner. I said fine as long as you want a bowl of cereal for dinner…

My wife and I share the cooking. I cook on the days that end in Y, she does the rest.

Rob

Well, we are going on 52 years married. I keep telling her that she has a good deal and not to screw it up…

For those of you that have done the southern AICW, is phifertex adequate for insect screening?

Pfifertex , Shows 3 types. Are you using mesh?

I used 70% block screen. You can see through it.

I believe Phifertex comes in two flavors of mesh: Standard, and recreational. They differ in width. Phifer makes a lot of other fabrics. Their specs do not list denisty, but 70% sounds about right.

Phifertex® Standard and Recreational Mesh - Phifer

Textaline makes a similar fiberglass mesh fabric, and can be found in very dense mesh.

Sairite has a ton of helpful DIY videos. Here's one for exterior window coverings. Their prices are pretty good, and their support excellent. Good folks and strong supporters of the boat/cruising community for 25+ years.

Peter

Does anyone put their window coverings on just to keep the sun out when cruising? I don’t need the protection when the boat isn’t in use as I have covered moorage, but there were a few afternoons at a dock when the sun would warm up the pilothouse. Any good solutions?

Does anyone put their window coverings on just to keep the sun out when cruising? I don’t need the protection when the boat isn’t in use as I have covered moorage, but there were a few afternoons at a dock when the sun would warm up the pilothouse. Any good solutions?

Yes, it will cut the heat way down. If you can keep the sun out it is much easier than trying to get rid of the heat once it is inside the boat.

Ours are on 24/7. Most daylight hours are spent on the flybridge. In the cabin with the screens on we can see out but it is hard to see in.

I would add at least one zero to that estimate. Entire job with materials will cost thousands.

UPDATE. I am having window covers made in Mexico. 4 side windows and a front windshield, so equivalent of 6 windows I suppose. I went with 85% Solstis brand as they had the color I wanted (light grey). Fabric alone was $250 wholesale.

Picture is of marine canvas guy in Mexico making patterns. He will charge me about $300 labor for the work, and will use PTFE thread. So just under $100/window with low labor cost and access to wholesale price for fabric.

I said in an early reply a guess of around $100/window. In the US plus retail price for fabric, would expect $200-$250 per window.

Peter

Picture - canvas worker making patterns.

20230106_102104.jpg

Back
Top Bottom