Old 12-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: beach point
Prop puller

A custom prop puller built for me by a friend who has a local machine shop. It is for a five wing prop that was actually designed in pei by hall and stavert a company that was contracted by mainship to build their props. They have since been sold to michigan props. I got lucky and was put in touch with a former employee who still had the drawings. The original puller sold for 5 hundred dollars.
Attached Thumbnails
image-45563723.jpg   image-1000849197.jpg   image-2390552472.jpg  
BEACH POINT ,PEI, CANADA
jamie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Jamie, I'm a but confused on how that one works. Can ya 'splain it for me please?
Old 12-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

There are three threaded holes in the hub of the prop you bolt puller to prop hub tighten large tapered bolt in end of shaft.
BEACH POINT ,PEI, CANADA
Old 12-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Jamie, I'm a but confused on how that one works. Can ya 'splain it for me please?
It pulls the prop out. On a serious note, I believe the the holes on the base screw into the prop or impeller and then as you tighten the bolt down it makes contact with the shaft and pushes the impeller/prop off.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
It pulls the prop out. On a serious note, I believe the the holes on the base screw into the prop or impeller and then as you tighten the bolt down it makes contact with the shaft and pushes the impeller/prop off.
Correct
BEACH POINT ,PEI, CANADA
Old 12-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I buy regular "pullers" at automotive outlets. They all have the main screw that is too long to fit between the prop and rudder. I saw the screw off to a length short enough to clear the rudder and long enough to pull the prop. One looses the articulated centering end in the process. I grind a point on the screw end and stick it in the centering hole in the prop shaft.

To use it I line it all up good and w a big "Crescent" wrench put considerable pressure on the shaft. I adjust the prop nut so when it comes loose it only moves 1/64th of an inch or less. Then I heat the hub of the prop evenly as I turn the wheel. Very soon the prop pops off.

Works for me and the pullers at NAPA and similar places are very cheap.

I'm glad the edit window hasn't closed. I heat the prop hub w a MAP gas torch ... not propane. It's considerably hotter.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #7

City: Baltimore
I looked at this earlier and wondered how you were going to pull a prop with it. I missed the fact that there are 3 bolts that attach it to the prop hub.

How do you keep the holes on the prop clear? Seems and looks like holes that small would gunk up or get painted over and be impossible to clean out. Maybe they are bigger than they look?

$500 for that!?!? Honestly, i think $110 is a bit steep but not outrageous. it wouldn't be as pretty but one nut, one bolt, 3 sections of rod and a washer with some holes in it...Weld it all up and i'll bet you could whip that up and still make a buck selling them for $5.
eseyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:56 PM   #8
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Now I see why I was cornfused! I don't have any holes in the face of my props for the three bolts to thread into.

The only prop puller I've seen used on my boat had the three long legs that reached around behind the prop and as you tighten that center bolt the three legs pulled the prop off the shaft.

In actuality it sounds lot LOT easier than it turned out to be. The reality of pulling off the props involved lots of swearing and hammering and heat.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:44 PM   #9
Guru

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Certain 4 and 5-bladed props have blades that overlap, making most traditional prop pullers ineffective. So the manufacturers drill and tap holes on the after face of the hub for using a puller like the OP had fabbed-up.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #10
Guru

I have a two pronged puller that works really well, It might work on a 5 blade depending on it's diameter I don't know for sure. But mine is really easy to use underwater because it's easy to put into place.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I buy regular "pullers" at automotive outlets. They all have the main screw that is too long to fit between the prop and rudder. I saw the screw off to a length short enough to clear the rudder and long enough to pull the prop. One looses the articulated centering end in the process. I grind a point on the screw end and stick it in the centering hole in the prop shaft.

To use it I line it all up good and w a big "Crescent" wrench put considerable pressure on the shaft. I adjust the prop nut so when it comes loose it only moves 1/64th of an inch or less. Then I heat the hub of the prop evenly as I turn the wheel. Very soon the prop pops off.

Works for me and the pullers at NAPA and similar places are very cheap.

I'm glad the edit window hasn't closed. I heat the prop hub w a MAP gas torch ... not propane. It's considerably hotter.
Harbor Freight sells a hydraulic version. The barrel of the central cylinder just barely clears the rudders on our OA...had to lengthen the "hooks" by drilling some additional holes, but it does the job on 2 inch shaft props with minimal fanfare. I also use a MAP torch to warm up the hub.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote