a/c duct work change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keith c

Vessel Name
Princess M
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 34
I am an owner of a 2006 34 MS trawler. Has anyone tried to change the duct work in the state room by placing a vent above the bed rather than the a/c blowing beside the bed?

Keith
I moved one vent aft on stbd side so it didn't blow on my admiral...
Not an easy job and dont recommend it.
Above head of bed might work well. Port side was impossible.
Remove the "headboard" and you can get a look st space to work. Should be able to enlarge the access if necessary.
I'll bet the flow will improve although cooling fwd cabin never a problem for us. Blowing straight aft might help push some to galley and help w salon?
I didn't think of that approach but think it's worth exploring more.

I'm not aware of a place to run the duct work into the ceiling.

How do you get the grill of the side of the cabinet? Don't want to break anything.

I'm not aware of a place to run the duct work into the ceiling.

I don't think Keith is thinking ceiling but rather high in the bulhead at head of bed and I think that could work.
Wouldn't blow directly on you in bed (especially of the vanes were deflecting air flow slightly up towards ceiling) vs the way our factory ones on port & stbd under walkaround blow on us.
I'm not sure how similar / different the 390's are vs 34's as Ive never been aboard a 390.

Bacchus is correct. I am looking for a vent just above the removable head board. Like Bacchus my CEO does not like the a/c vent blowing on her back/arm etc. It also seems a poor design having the a/c vents blowing directly on the return air intake vents etc?

I was actually thinking about that space later. There should be a bulkhead between the space where the A/C is and the space where a bow thruster is (would be). You might be able to run up from there.

I happened to be on the boat this weekend and had need to check behind that "headboard" panel. That is in fact where the AC duct us located and splits port & stbd. I don't see why your location idea couldn't work. The tricky part will be to find or make the right plenum behind the grills to distribute the air and connect to the flex duct. Needs a bit of creativity but should be doable.
I think I'd start w cardboard or thin plywood as trial pics, templates. Then build or have someone build the plenum to install. It may take some epoxy to attach strips that allow fastening the plenum to?
Keep us posted as you proceed

How are the grills attached? Don't see any screws on my 390.

How are the grills attached? Don't see any screws on my 390.

on my 34HT there were 2 screws in between the grill slats.
A little tough to see unless you look hard with a flashlight.

If running new in the headboard area no need to mess with the old ones - I'd just leave them in place and abandon them. I did make a blank cover for the one I relocated. Plexiglass - painted on back side to match the headliner color.

Last edited:
Im starting to get little black particles blowing from the master cabin vent. The head and second cabin are fine. Someone told me the duct may be deteriorating. I want to change that part of the hose. That's the reason I needed to know how to remove the vent.

Back
Top Bottom