Barrier coat quantity for Mainship 34 III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gdavid

Guru
Vessel Name
Graceland
Vessel Make
Mainship 34 MK1
Had the bottom soda blasted down to gel coat in the fall and I will be barrier coating and bottom painting when in early spring. I estimate I will need 3 gallons of barrier coat but if anyone else has done their boat recently I would greatly appreciate their experience. I am ordering from a place I have had great luck with their bottom paint and prices but I won't have the convenience of running down the street for another gallon.
It is such a common hull that I imagine someone knows off hand. Thanks.

its not the number of coats but total thickness, so I wouldnt believe too many suggestions unless you check their math.

The coating manufacturer give pretty good advice...at least Interlux does...follow it, not some unknown scrimper on the web.

Good advice you trust with the math is a different story.

Thanks. I will be checking the buildup as it goes on but hope to be in the ballpark for what I have on hand. In the past I have used interlux and followed the application schedule to a "t" and it worked well but the boat was also pulled annually (different boat). I have been using blue water ablative for the last few years, and really like it, I plan to use their barrier coat as well. The hull is in great shape but lord knows it's full history with regard to being pulled or the salinity it has lived in.

Last time I did an epoxy barrier coat, I called Interlux and they told me to use X number of gallons. I just kept putting coats on until the paint was used up. It is very easy to put another coat or two at this point. Cost is negligible versus removing the bottom paint and adding more coats later.

Following up my own question, I found each coat took a gallon. The first coat didn't go as far because the soda blasted surface was a rough texture that pulled alot off of the roller, the subsequent gallons went a little further but three coats took 3 gallons and provided the thickness I wanted. Manufacturer recommendations average 5 but I believe this is super conservative (not to mention they are selling paint). I used Blue Water brand ”Bottom Protect" which handled just like the interlux I have used in the past and I have been very satisfied with their ablative bottom paint so I went with Blue Water. Shipping was free and fast (to Maryland). Time will tell how it will do. I am pretty sure the hull did have barrier on it before judging by the color and hardness of the base later when I scraped off the layers of built up paint in a 1” stripe around the waterline that was left in place after the soda blasting. No way to tell I the boat was always hauled annually over it's life and at what point it was barrier coated. It was in great shape under all those layers of paint.

Last edited:
Gdavid,
Who did your soda blast work and how much did they charge? EventuallyI’m going to need to do the same project. Just curious.
Thanks, jeff.

The soda blasting was done at Wasburn's Boatyard in Solomon's Island, MD. The yard subcontracts the work, can't recall the subcontractor. I have no idea where you are (edit: I wasn't seeing your location using the mobile page viewer but see where tou are now) but we are very happy with Washburns and recommend them to everyone. That said, the pricing of service is highly dependant on condition and imagine the yard does not post prices for a reason, it was $1,500 in this case. The hull had years of build up and was flaking off, the bottom paint held on surprising well last season considering the condition of the paint it was applied to but it was probably due last year. On our last boat between annual hauls and using ablative paints over a solid barrier coat, we have always got by with pressure washing in the fall when the boat is hauled and a very light sand in the spring before adding another 1-2 coats of paint. This prevented excess build up and avoided doing much sanding. That is the plan moving forward with this hull now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom