Old 08-09-2018, 07:46 AM   #1
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Anyone added the wireless remote to their thrusters

Also looking for any feedback on +/- of remote option.
I have Side Power thrusters (B&S) and considering adding the remote.
My thoughts... might be handy...

Planning on 3 mo Trent-Severn and Georgian Bay cruise next yr... 100+ locks plus mormal docking / anchoring in strange areas.
We are early 70's and looking to make our boating as easy as possible to keep doing it as long as possible / practical.
Would also simplify picking up bow lines at our dock vs pushing off and loooong reach w boat hook to pick up / store bow lines every time we depart / land.
Comments & experience welcome...
From other thruster users... but suspect there will be plenty w comments about learning to handle single screws! [emoji848]
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:08 AM   #2
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
We considered installing a Yacht Controller for the same reasons. I’ve seen couples in their mid 60’s easily handle boats to 72’. The real advantage is that it eliminates problems with limited sight lines in bigger boats. But, just too pricey.

As to your question, I don’t see much advantage in having a remote only for the thrusters. It seems to me that you would also need remote access to shift and throttle controls.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:15 AM   #3
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
If your current boating is helped with the thrusters alone then adding a remote for them would seem like a reasonable option to consider. As you mention, thrusters are handy for being able to bump it a bit to hold it closer for another shot for bow lines or other docking hassles. Ones where you don't really need more forward/backward engine action.

I could definitely see where having to dash back/forth to the wired control station would get trickier when getting older. A remote could help reduce the chance of tripping or missteps.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:39 AM   #4
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
We have yacht master that controls thrusters, forward neutral and reverse plus windless control. I love it. The two of us can do anything easily when it come to docking without a hassle.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:54 AM   #5
Guru

City: Italy
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: Currently looking for next boat
I have a combination bow thruster/windlass wireless controller. Installed by previous owner. I have not figured out why I want it. I have used it only to test it.

Gordon
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:44 PM   #6
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
We have and love using a wireless remote that controls windlass and counts chain in and out; controls thruster; and operates anchor wash down pump. When picking up a mooring for example I bring the bow close from the helm but the last few feet are managed by whoever is at the bow with boat hook to hand.
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:38 PM   #7
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
My boat has both bow and stern thrusters. The original owner had the wireless remote installed for the bow thruster but not the stern. I have found the remote to be useful when single handing but don't use it a lot. I wish the PO had added it for the stern as well. I could do it, but I'm cheap.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:34 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We have a Side Power stern thruster. I added a wireless remote so that when we come alongside a dock and I have to climb down from the flybridge I don’t have to rush before the boat is blown off the dock. When the remote works it is great. Mostly the batteries go dead between usages so the remote isn’t very helpful. I sent the remote back to Imtra last year and they sent me a new one. Still get dead batteries even without using the remote. Also the 3 screws that hold the remote together are tiny security screws that are almost impossible to get out of the remote. I complained to Imtra and they installed phillips screws in the new remote before they sent it to me so now it is easy to change the batteries. Overall I love my Side Power thruster but not the remote so much.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:27 PM   #9
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
I have a bow thruster and a remote that controls it. I absolutely love it.

When we're backing into the slip I wear the lanyard around my neck and work the shifters with my left hand and remote with my right. Easy Peasy.

Last year, after having the thruster and remote for 8 years I finally (DOH!) figured out that when I'm heading into a lock or dock I can use the thruster to help make those minor adjustments to my course without having to use the shifters which would change the speed and direction.

Who says you can't teach and old dog new tricks!

Go for it. You won't regret it.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:43 PM   #10
TF Site Team

Thanks to all.
Appreciate the varied responses depending on usual routine.
Planning on going for it and looking foeward to smiling when others berate us for even having / using thrusters no less remote control.
I simply respond that they are my less expensive alternative to the twins that most have or wish they had.

We do s lot of locking and figure I can assist the DW / Admiral when wind gusts provide some excitement and challenge in a lock or to assist in some docking situations.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:49 PM   #11

City: Friday Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: Sunny Day
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH37
I added to new to us Great Harbour GH37 (think windage) first thing when purchased. Bow and stern thrusters. Works just like you would imagine, improves single handing and being able to add additional control. 5 minute DYI job...great add
sunnyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:28 PM   #12
Guru

Wow, installing both a bow thruster and stern thruster in under five minutes. Can you teach me?
Old 08-10-2018, 06:02 PM   #13

City: Friday Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: Sunny Day
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH37
Remote, sorry to confuse you
sunnyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:44 PM   #14
Guru

Sunny. You’ll soon learn those of us that joke on this forum.. not confused at all by your statement however my entire has been lived in a confused state.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:53 PM   #15
Guru

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
I love this forum. We have a remote and I have never used it, But single hand docking and picking up a mooring would be perfect. I'm going to try it on friday. I'm sure the batteries are dead.
John
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:22 AM   #16
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I don't even have a thruster, but they work the same way as a windlass; the switches control a relay. You can get a wireless remote module with two remotes for about $10 on Amazon. They sell them for ATV winches and such.

Best $10 I ever spent! I clip the small remote to a belt loop when anchoring or weighing anchor. If I had a thruster, I'd buy another set (or they have remotes to control multiple devices.)
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:54 AM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Portland
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 40 Sport Sedan
Another vote for adding the remote control! I have a bow and stern thruster. I often cruise with my 6 year old son, so effectively I'm single handing. I use the remote to keep the boat pinned to the dock while I tie off.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #18
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
I had a YC on the past boat because I run the boat myself fairly often and as noted, it sure helps when tying up. But the YC is very $, so I was hesitant to do it for our current boat. Adding a remote to the thrusters and skipping the engine control sounds like a much better deal.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:56 PM   #19
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
I put a remote on our last boat since only the lower helm had a joystick and the upper had nothing. Used it a few times in the locks and makes things a little easier. We just got back from Seneca Lake. 9 days, 58 running hours, 557 KM, 53 locks to Lake Simcoe. Enjoy!!
Old 08-18-2018, 06:42 AM   #20
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBomba View Post
I put a remote on our last boat since only the lower helm had a joystick and the upper had nothing. Used it a few times in the locks and makes things a little easier. We just got back from Seneca Lake. 9 days, 58 running hours, 557 KM, 53 locks to Lake Simcoe. Enjoy!!
Allen
You likely passed by us on Seneca.
BTW much of the E shore of Seneca is now a disaster area... recovering from flash flooding this week. The destruction is hard to believe and the lake debris is pretty bad.
Also - we are planning on the reverse of your cruise next summer... Seneca, TS through Simcoe to Georgian Bay. That was my incentive to add the remote... make life as easy as possible for the Admiral & I.

We did it 20 yrs ago but had a schedule. Planning on taking all season 2019 and hoping to take our time and also do much of the small craft inland passage route through the 30,000 Is.