Old 08-05-2018, 11:02 PM   #1
DXM

City: Sarasota, FL
Any Mainship 40 owners here?

Iím looking for any advice. I have a 1994 Mainship 40 and the front bilge is constantly full of water. Every 4 days I can manually pump out about 10 gallons. However the level never rises enough to turn on the float switch! Iíve spent countless hours trying to research and found that the ac pan drain drops right into the bilge. This weekend I replaced the shower sump and plumbed the forward ac into it. I also removed the holding tank and now the water level rose! But still not enough to activate bilge. When I manually run bilge the level barely changes mainly because the pump air locks and the water comes back down the hose. I tasted the water and it had a faint salt taste but that could just be residue. The boat was just splashed 2 weeks ago after a new bottom job, and forward of this bilge there are no below the waterline holes and no thru hulls. The 2 thru hulls in the bilge have sea clocks closed and they are not leaking. I am able to vacuum area dry and within 12 hours it is filled up again. Any ideas? Boat was just surveyed last month and no hull issues were found, not even blisters. Could a Norcold fridge be the culprit? Since it appears the factory ran the ac drains to the bilge Iím guessing the fridge could do the same, but would it produce that much water? I have ripped up the entrie floor forward of the galley and cannot find any water. All areas are dry.

DXM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:04 AM   #2

City: Point Judith, RI
Vessel Name: In Sanity
Vessel Model: 1981 Mainship 40'
We have an older MS 40 but the bow is actually the lowest point when sitting at the dock. I've re run the aft ac drain and the stuffing boxes will contribute a little water when underway ( or maladjusted). Unfortunately it could be anything. Rub rail, deck fittings, loose hose clamp on a fw or sw line. I think your best best would be to try to trace it back. Vac it dry, wipe it dry, and see where the trickle comes from. Watch the inside of the hull too, especially after a rain. Good luck

Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:13 PM   #3

City: Victoria
Vessel Name: Reality Cheque
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
I have a Mainship 400 , 2007 with a similar problem. I built a dam with plumbers putty fore and aft of the forward sump and found the water was coming from towards the bow. Water appears to be fresh. I get about a gallon a week even when the weather is dry and nothing running but the fridge, when tied up at the marina. I too am stumped as to where the water is coming from.
jemcne7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:41 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
You should probably specify that you're discussing a Mainship 40 "Sedan Bridge" and not a Trawler. Mainship made both. Just my .02
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:15 PM   #5

Mainship 400 trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
You should probably specify that you're discussing a Mainship 40 "Sedan Bridge" and not a Trawler. Mainship made both. Just my .02
Not sure if you were referring to my question or the previous one but my Mainship 400 is a trawler, not a Sedan Bridge design.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:47 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
I'm not familiar w/ the 400 design details...

Have to wonder - if they plumbed AC Cond drain to bilge what about anchor locker drain?
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:14 AM   #7

City: Wildwood NJ
Vessel Name: Lit'l Bee
Vessel Model: Mainship 350 Trawler
I had water in my fwd bilge, traced to bad shower sump pump. The sump box was overflowing into the bilge.
McDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:20 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemcne7 View Post
Not sure if you were referring to my question or the previous one but my Mainship 400 is a trawler, not a Sedan Bridge design.
The statement was directed towards the OP.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:29 PM   #9
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
You might try putting some paper towels in the forward bilge up on the sides to see if they get wet. Another trick is to dust talcum powder on the sides to see where the water is draining into the bilge.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:02 PM   #10

We have a dehumidifier that we leave on and sitting in the shower (drains into the shower). I read in the Mainship manual that the (closed) shower sump required the head breaker to be on, so assumed it was overfolowing into the forward bilge and I had solved the mystery.

However testing that proved not to be true, as the shower sump turns on automatically even if the head breaker if off. So still searching for a solution