Old 09-13-2017, 08:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Boston Area
78 MK1 Total redo documentary thread w/ pics!

Hey Y'all, so the journey begins.New to the forum and we just purchased a 78 MK1 from a neighboring boat club (up in Boston area) and it's an upgrade from our 26 Sundancer style boat that was just not us but we had a good 8 years with her.

Going to make this a thread to show all the work that will be getting done in the next year (or more )

Tons of soft decks, rewiring, painting,plumbing, flooring, and gene/engine work ahead hopefully some can find it useful and the rest can get a kick out of my Tom Hanks money pit boat
We plan on keeping her for a long time..It's our second to last boat..maybe last! Love it and the potential she has. Anybody in the Boston area always welcome for a stop by to give advice I would happily trade for a beer. -Dave
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0224.JPG  
capeshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:10 PM   #2
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Welcome aboard and good luck with your work ahead!

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

start of plumbing..

Started pulling plumbing.. Had every possible type of fitting and hose in here!!
Redoing with Pex, new deck fill, everything. Old water heater was dead had an old spare 6 gallon I'm putting in. Also going to add on the port side a 20 gallon to add to the main tank.
Decided this was a good time to clean up and paint the inside. Mostly plywood so I primed with gripper and I'm trying a Ben Moore deck and patio paint I had. Interested how it holds up in the area where the rudder hatch is. Rest should be fine as its never getting stepped on etc.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0444.JPG   IMG_0447.JPG   IMG_0450.JPG  
Old 09-13-2017, 11:22 PM   #4
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Good start.

Good luck!
Old 09-14-2017, 07:06 AM   #5
FOG
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Welcome aboard. Congrats on the new boat. I'm already interested in reading about your redo adventures.
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:23 AM   #6
Guru

City: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
Dave,

Great boat. We had an '82, put a couple thousand hours on her from Delaware to Key West. If during the refit you need a pick me up (as I did), take a look at my last refit:
https://caribbeansealife.com/about-our-boat/refit/

It will make you feel better

Good luck and enjoy

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealife View Post
Dave,

Great boat. We had an '82, put a couple thousand hours on her from Delaware to Key West. If during the refit you need a pick me up (as I did), take a look at my last refit:
https://caribbeansealife.com/about-our-boat/refit/

It will make you feel better

Good luck and enjoy

OHHH.. that seacock and thru hull work is on my off season list just like you did..Your pictures got me worried. I'm dreaming that they will all just unscrew, rebed and new ones right back in..Thanks for the link! Aprreciate seeing it all.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

New carb and distributor 454

Tackling a new carb and distributor tonight.. (Yes it was switched over to gas 454 years ago, will be switching back to diesel when the time comes.) Got the boat on the cheap so i can live with it for a few years.
Will update this post tonight with the likely boring photos of engine work. some carb drilling for PCV valve port etc.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Back after a long week or so. Hurricane Jose had our club locked down for a few days as we had some nasty NE winds for a couple days.

Got the new carb and distributor in..nothing exciting to report except I was heating up quick? Boat was fine before. Felt like I wasn't getting a lot of water out of exhaust. Temp read 155 and the temp gun was showing nothing over 160 on the engine. (Just one manifold was 160 rest was under)
I didn't like it still so I decided to go through the raw water system.
Inspected raw water pump and impeller. Took off raw water hoses off manifolds and started engine, water came rushing out (one side a bit less which I noted) but I would say circulating pump is working. Took off sides of heat exchanger.. some junk piled up but no actual clogged ports. Made a new gasket. sea water strainer does have a leak so I made a gasket for the top.
Ran engine..was better but still not loving it. I'd say the manifolds are risers are old. No clue when they were changed... So it's time. Might try a barnacle buster rinse to see if I can at least get her out for a little putt. Going on the hard 10/21 so trying to get things up to par so I know where I'm at for off season.

Decided to just pull the old Groco sea strainer out. Did a vinegar soak for only a few hours, tooth brushed it off. Seals were all shot going in so ordered some quick ship and hope I am also just sucking some air from all the leakiness it had.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0580.JPG   FullSizeRender (4).jpg   IMG_0654.JPG   IMG_0660.JPG   IMG_0661.JPG  

Old 09-25-2017, 08:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Saturday break.. sail

Side note took a break on Saturday to go out on a buddies catboat. No wind but we putted along. Very unusual fog rolled up from the South Shore of Boston right into quincy,Boston area. Could cut it with a knife. (sorry photos are not showing rotated until uploaded?)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0638.jpg   IMG_0640.jpg   IMG_0644.jpg  
Old 12-05-2017, 09:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Picture update

Ok, so back after a long late fall of to little time to work on the boat..Got her covered ( shrinkwrap for this boat was heavy to carry up the ladder etc)

Started the gut job, since we had to take off the bow rail and stanchions it didn't bug me to rip out the old walls etc. Had to to get to the thru bolts..Took the cabinets home to template some of the funny cuts for the new ones I'm going to build in the off season. Lowes had 1/2 MDO so I didn't need to go to Boulter plywood in Medford,MA (they have everything specialty wood related,amazing place.) Will hit up Boulter for the rest later on.
Not sure you can see in one of the pictures but under the galley window (behind the cabinet) Miguel from 1977 signed the wall. One of the guys who built the boat! Kinda cool.
Also love the cleats. Been trying to find them to no avail. to add a couple more to the boat... and last a friends pup Ralphie stopping by to say hi
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0807.jpg   IMG_0794.jpg   IMG_0795.jpg   IMG_0802.jpg   IMG_0780.jpg  

IMG_0779.jpg   IMG_0785.jpg  
Old 12-06-2017, 08:34 AM   #12

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
Fellow 78 MK1 owner here. I'm keeping a close eye on this.

Mine doesn't need nearly as much work but soft decks and topside gelcoat is fading.

I'll admit to injecting gorilla glue into some places(side deck)which actually works very very well as a band aid but is just that.

I did get the rear cockpit done though. The Flybridge is a bit more "complicated".
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:13 AM   #13
Guru

Dave, a local fab shop should be ablle to duplicate those cleats real easy. Just pipe and ends.

If you get really bored, hete is a link to the pictures of mine when I was selling. Might see something you want to incorporate:

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...Ol33oDqjD_51Kl

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 12-07-2017, 03:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwesson View Post
Fellow 78 MK1 owner here. I'm keeping a close eye on this.

Mine doesn't need nearly as much work but soft decks and topside gelcoat is fading.

I'll admit to injecting gorilla glue into some places(side deck)which actually works very very well as a band aid but is just that.

I did get the rear cockpit done though. The Flybridge is a bit more "complicated".
Thanks for the reply, funny you mention the gorilla glue as I see some in some spots on the boat. How did the cockpit go? Any tips? It’s on my list. Feel free to message me anything if I can help. I’ll basically have every inch of this boat open at some point so if I can help I’ll try!
Old 12-07-2017, 04:53 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealife View Post
Dave, a local fab shop should be ablle to duplicate those cleats real easy. Just pipe and ends.

If you get really bored, hete is a link to the pictures of mine when I was selling. Might see something you want to incorporate:

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...Ol33oDqjD_51Kl
Hey Sealife, agreed and good point. I have a good buddy who works with stainless up in New Hampshire so likely the way to go.

Just a heads up the google picture link you added doesn't work? Would love to see the photos!
Old 12-07-2017, 07:26 AM   #16
Guru

Sorry,

My wife handles this kind of stuff. I think I just changed it to share. Try again:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/509ywWq82TrTXK4b2

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 12-07-2017, 10:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by capeshore View Post
Thanks for the reply, funny you mention the gorilla glue as I see some in some spots on the boat. How did the cockpit go? Any tips? It’s on my list. Feel free to message me anything if I can help. I’ll basically have every inch of this boat open at some point so if I can help I’ll try!
Not sure I used the term correctly to clarify I mean the rear fiberglass deck outside..
Old 12-08-2017, 07:22 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwesson View Post
Not sure I used the term correctly to clarify I mean the rear fiberglass deck outside..

Thanks, you were clear. I have to do that deck. Was considering putting a hatch in where the rudder post is? Curious how that deck work went for you, any tips etc. Thanks!
Old 12-09-2017, 04:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Thanks, you were clear. I have to do that deck. Was considering putting a hatch in where the rudder post is? Curious how that deck work went for you, any tips etc. Thanks!
Straight forward repair but I did it in the middle of florida summer so it was hot and kept raining on my handywork(even when not predicted). I planned on doing a spot repair so I cut out a 2'x2' square and that turned into the whole back deck.

Make sure no rain for a few days.

You can do the back deck in one swoop but keep in mind you wont be able to walk or support any of your weight on it after you remove the coring.. Plan accordingly(the bottom layer of glass is thin.. IMO too thin. Hack away at the top layer because it's too thin to reuse too.. YMMV Be very careful with the bottom layer because you'll be reusing that. Add another couple layers of fiberglass to it before you do the coring.. Much stronger.

It was difficult for me to get the shape just right(the curve) so I was forced to create the curve with sawdust/resin putty mix which worked okay. I tried to work with one large piece of coring material which I found out is totally unnecessary. Small chunks are easier to work with, will shape better and is strong.

Bring and air compressor and an air chisel to remove the rotted out core. I didn't but the job would have been quicker/easier.

Consider seacast pourable coring material made for decks. It's expensive but honestly you'll have alot of leftover, runs to the lumberyard, splinters, and work. Better yet it can't rot.

No matter how much resin you think you'll need double it(same goes for everything else). I'd buy 5 gallons because you will use it elsewhere. I didn't use that much though.

It's going to be more expensive than you think. Consider that the rear deck of the boat is larger than some center console's whole deck.

Buy a small 4" circular saw.. I got a black and decker one from walmart for under $90 and use it alot. You can set the depth so you don't cut through the bottom layer and work in tight spots vs a large circle saw.

Read about making your own peanut butter/thickened resin.. Also don't apply that stuff thinking you'll just sand it smooth later.. it's rock hard. Silica mix works well.

I'm very happy with the results.. I will say i've gotten some very very good results on smaller harder to reach places by drilling and injecting Gorilla Glue(works better than injecting resin). Waste of time and money in large areas though.

A hatch would work great but remember that you're weakening the deck by not carrying it all the way across so layup more fiberglass than others.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:31 AM   #20
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Got the new carb and distributor in..nothing exciting to report except I was heating up quick?

Ran engine..was better but still not loving it. I'd say the manifolds are risers are old. No clue when they were changed... So it's time.

??

Thought all the MS 34s (original, Mk II, and Mk III) were single diesels? Mostly Perkins, though our Mk III had a DD 8.2T.

??

-Chris