390 Trawler 2000 rudder indicator install

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suntansailor

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Au Naturel
Vessel Make
2000 Mainship 390 Trawler
Completed a "simple" project in the yard of installing rudder indicator gauges at inside helm, and up on the flybridge...lots of fun getting the sender lines to the respective gauges (especially the Flybridge), but got it done.

I used a 1/2 starboard piece at rudder shaft for swivel, a stiff cabinet spring as the connector tie rod. The trawler had an existing defective Raritan rudder indicator that I took off.

Now much easier to back up when docking as I can tell immediately when the rudder is "dead" center. Parts prices were very inexpensive on Amazon $85; used KUS gauges, and KUS dual station sender. For the Flybridge wire, I used 16ga as the run was over 20 feet so signal did not drop. For the inside helm gauge just used 18ga.

While under taking this project, I installed a compact GPS speedometer at the upper helm, to keep track of speed and distance, to compare with my hand held GPS.

Next big project will be to attack the leaking swim platform that has my boat listing almost 4-5 degrees to port. Previous owner did not take advantage of the factory warranty "fix", so will have to do it myself, taking platform top off, pulling water soaked foam all out, reglassing interior, installing equalizer tubes between the compartments, and a manual bilge pump in center compartment just in case my glass work does not do the job. I think the water intrusion issue is with the seal of the platform top to the stern hull. Will see...

Attachments

• gauge at flybridge helm sm.jpeg
    gauge at flybridge helm sm.jpeg
    17.1 KB · Views: 63
  • gauge at lower helm 2 sm.jpeg
    gauge at lower helm 2 sm.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 69
  • sending gauge 2 stations sm.jpeg
    sending gauge 2 stations sm.jpeg
    63.8 KB · Views: 96
  • GPS speedometer.jpg
    GPS speedometer.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 53
suntan
You may want to consider replacing the 4 rudder plate screws noted in the picture with 4 more robust SS bolts and washers. Possibly some additional FRP tabs to the hull for the "retention plate" as well just aft of the rudder shaft.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback.

Those 4 screws are actually bolts with washers and lock nuts underside...been there 18 years...no corrosion.

The 3 screws you see on the sender are the same bolt through with washers and lock nuts...but no tork on them what so ever. Just holding the sending in the dead center position when aligning with rudder. I am always listening to everyone on this forum to learn. See my next post on Swim platform fix...what a task.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom