34T flybridge stair removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daviddraper

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Andiamo
Vessel Make
Mainship 34 Trawler
Has anyone out there ever had reason to remove the upper stair molding (not the lower opening portion) going up to the flybridge on a 34T?

The reason I ask is that the boat I'm closing on has non-OEM screws in the stair case molding and there are a multitude of spider cracks in the corners of each of the steps.

If I were to guess, it looks like the stairs were pried out for some reason which stressed the gelcoat, then screws were used when the stairs were put back in.

If my assumption is correct, why would anyone ever need to remove the stairs? The boat is a 2006 with low hours, so I'ms scratching my head on this!

Any ideas would be helpful for me to understand the "why" the staircase has screws and spider cracks. thanks!

Maybe as part of lowering boat height for overland transport?

Or some tread pads added/replaced where the molding needed to be loosened or removed in order to tuck ragged ends out of sight?

Non-OEM screws sounds like marine carpeting. Spider cracking is suspicious. I can't imagine removing the stairs. I can imagine improperly sealed carpet screws allowing water to intrude into the plywood core. As the plywood softens, the stair begins to flex slightly. The flex may be subtle enough not to notice initially, however gelcoat is brittle and will not tolerate the flex, so it spider cracks. Are the cracks emanating from the oem screws?

I'd have a surveyor specifically check for moisture in the stairs.

I would think the only reason to enlarge the entry to the engine room would be to remove and/or replace a piece of equipment too big to fit through the normal opening.
I have seen partially disassembled engines fit through tight spaces you would never think they could fit through

:socool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom