Old 07-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #1

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: Teakless In Seattle
Vessel Model: 2007 Mainship 34 Trawler
2007 Mainship 34 Trawler Cabin Lights

We would like to replace the halogen bulbs in the forward cabin lights with LEDs. Anyone know how to access the small tiltable fixtures? There does not seem to be any obvious means to open them.
teakless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #2

City: Victoria BC
Vessel Name: LUCKY US
Vessel Model: American Tug
Just twist the lens
jukesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:04 PM   #3
oak
Veteran Member

City: Highland Beach, Florida
Vessel Name: Miri
Vessel Model: Mainship pilot 34
Does anyone know how to remove the lights in the pilot hardtop
There are four screws. After removing the screws still does not come out. Tried pulling and twisting still nothing.?.?
oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:41 PM   #4

City: Toronto
Pilot 34 Cabin Light Removal

On my P34 Hardtop the lights are a TIGHT fit in holes drilled into plywood blocks attached to the underside of the hardtop. Got mine out the first time by working a thin putty knife between the edge of the light and the ceiling fabric. I actually used several spatulas to apply pressure. After I got mine all out I used a round file to enlarge the holes to make it an looser fit.

Mine have been removed several times now - the first time was to replace a burnt out halogen bulb, the next time to change the bulbs to LED's, and the third time to remove the ceiling liner fabric so that I could remove the Radar cable - it snakes back and forth in the ceiling. When I had it out I discovered that the radar was not working due to a poorly inserted power wire in the radar dome! Fixed the power wire and put it all back together. Hard work that took MANY hours with hands up overhead - tough on the shoulder and neck muscles. Only consolation was not having to buy/install a new Radar system and not getting billed several boat bucks for "yard labour".
Norlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:52 AM   #5

City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: La Bella Vita
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
I just did this very same thing yesterday. I wrapped blue tape around a paint scrapper. Then I pushed it behind that chrome ring and they drop down. Word of caution! Look for the 2 springs. They are 180 degrees apart. Hold them up with your fingers as you pull them out. I found out they will SNAP right on your fingers!! I turned all the lights on before and read just over 10 AMPS. After changing out all the bulbs, the same gauge read less than 2 amps. Very easy and surprisingly cheap to do. A 10 pack of G4 bulbs are $12.95 on Amazon Prime.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:21 PM   #6
oak
Veteran Member

City: Highland Beach, Florida
Vessel Name: Miri
Vessel Model: Mainship pilot 34
Thanks all for the help
I will give it another try
oak is offline   Reply With Quote