Old 05-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Microwave Removal

Removing Microwave
I have an under the cabinet mounted Microwave, typically referred to as ‘over the range’ mount.
The Microwave went berserk on me and burned a hole through the side. It is toasted, to say the least.
Anyway, I want to remove it before I install a new one. The brand name is Haier and I can't figure out how to remove it. It wont slide forward. If I pry it up a little there is some wire clamping system and I can figure out how to break it loose.
I don’t mind destroying the non-working microwave, I just don’t want to destroy the cabinet.
Anyone run into this before?
See attached link
Old 05-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
There should be 4 top mounting screws that hold the appliance to the cabinet- undo those, and the unit should drop out.

BTW- no link attached...

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Port of Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Out-A-Sight
Vessel Model: 1993 Bayliner 4588
I just replace my 15 yr old Whirpool Microwave this week. This model has 2 screws, left/right, under the top vent louver and running straight back to the rear of the unit. I unscrewed them, tilted the bottom of the micro toward the range about 6" and lifted up on the back edge about 2" . It's a 2 person job but I managed. This particular model had a back plate secured to the wall with a 'c' locking device that held the micro in place and two treaded inserts for the long screws.

The new Samsung 1500 w that I installed has a similar lower plate for the rear of the micro and two screws protrude from the top cabinet into the leading edge of the micro. Sorry I did not take any pics.

Good luck!
knuckelbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Mine was screwed up from the microwave shroud into the bottom of the cabinet. Wood screws - not nuts and bolts. I finally cut the shroud and parts of the microwave itself to remove it. I still cant figure out how it was done in a reasonable manner. The only thing I can think of was that the Microwave shroud was removed and screwed to the underside of the cabinet. Then it would have to have been suspended somehow so that the rear panel screws could be put back in with about 2 1/2" working space between the rear of microwave and the bulkhead/wall. The front screws would have not been a problem.
After looking at this, I have concluded that this was not originally an 'over the range' microve unit but rather a countertop model.
Anyway, it's gone, thank God!!!