2006 Mainship 400 Anchor Size?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
We just bought a 2006 Maniship 400 and it has a 33 lb Bruce and a 35 lb Delta...those seem to be on the small side to me for a 25K lb trawler with loads of wind-age..

Am I wrong?

Jeff

Bruce 33s are stated to be for a 30 to 40 ft boat so it is at it's limit but depends on the bottom, scope, chain and/or rode etc. I would likely upgrade one to a 44 lb.

I had a 33 pound Delta on my 41. I upgraded it to a 44 pound. So far so good...

Well, here we go again, but I will bite:

The Bruce is a fine anchor for setting, but it doesn't have much fluke area and its blunt point makes it difficult to dig in hard sand or gravel.

The Delta is a better holding anchor after it sets, but I have found them difficult to set quickly. It often takes 2-3 tries to get it to dig in.

I like the modern Manson, Rocna, Spades. They set very quickly and hold well. Your boat has a slot for the anchor shank in its bow sprit and can't accept the Manson/Rocna roll bar types. But they make very good versions with no roll bar, the Vulcan and Boss.

But go with at least 55 lbs for the Vulcan, Boss or Spade and at least 100' of chain of at least 5/16" G4 backed by nylon. Even better is all chain.

Nobody ever regretted having too big of an anchor or all chain rode. When they laugh at your ground tackle size around the dock, you usually have it about right.

David

Thanks everybody.....

David, you said "Your boat has a slot for the anchor shank in its bow sprit and can't accept the Manson/Rocna roll bar types. But they make very good versions with no roll bar, the Vulcan and Boss."

Can you explain that a little more as far as what you mean by cant accept roller bar types?

Will this one in the pic work as far as shank/roller goes?

Attachments

• rocna.JPG
    rocna.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Well, I think I am wrong about the bow. I looked at some pics on Yachtworld and the bow sprit is open at the front on MS 400s I looked at. My 34T and Pilot 34 had a closed slot and I assumed that was the way MS built them all.

So the Rocna and Manson anchors with the hoop should work with your boat such as the ones in your pic above. That one is 25 Kg which is what I recommend for your boat. I think that these anchors perform slightly better than the non hoop Boss and Vulcan anchors because the hoop causes the anchor to roll upright to set.

David

Last edited:
We just bought a 2006 Maniship 400 and it has a 33 lb Bruce and a 35 lb Delta...those seem to be on the small side to me for a 25K lb trawler with loads of wind-age..

Am I wrong?

Jeff

Agree with the others. Probably a tad small for the 400 Mainship, which I also have. I used my Fortress for primary anchor, FX 55, 35 lbs, rated for boats 52 to 58ft, which I think is a tad small. Only a few times in the past few years, including a Loop trip did I have issues with not holding, or unable to set.

I also have a Plow (about 40#) for a second anchor that I rarely use.

I'm quite happy with my Fortress, but still... I'm right on the edge of upgrading to the Ronca 55# one. And the Fortress will be my backup. And will sell the plow (and a few others).

ok, well I guess I will be shopping around for a Rocna 55 lb anchor.....looks like its about $700.......

I have the Rocna 20 (44 lbs) on our 2005 400 and love it. I upgraded 2 years ago from the Delta that came with the boat (sorry, can't remember the weight) and much prefer it. It works great in the anchor roller, though there is not any room for a second anchor in the second slot.

I considered the next bigger size rocna, it would have worked too, but I was a little concerned about the strain on my 14 year old windlass motor, which burned out last month anyway (go figure) so may not have been my best decision. Still though, I think the 20 or the 25 is a good size for the MS 400. Rocna's sizing chart shows that both will work, just depends on how much weight you want to pull compared to the conditions you expect. The windlass burned up the first day of our three week Bahamas trip, and I had to hand pull for the rest of the trip. In that instance at least, I was glad to have the 20 and not the 25.

We use our boat in Florida and a lot in the Bahamas. I typically anchor in less than 20' of water, often in as little as six feet. I have 50 feet of 5/16 chain and 200 feet of brait. I'll likely add more chain someday, but this setup works great for me now.

We use our Fortress FX 55 as a second anchor. I store it in the anchor locker (it's a tight fit) and hand launch it, which sucks. I have 25 feet of 5/16 chain and 150' of line on it. I used to have 70' of bigger chain on it, but reduced the size and weight of the chain because it was too heavy to hand pull easily and didn't fit my windlass gypsy.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
ok, well I guess I will be shopping around for a Rocna 55 lb anchor.....looks like its about $700.......

Check with Hopkins Carter in Miami. They have really good prices on Rocnas.

Ac33 delta is too small I agree. My 40 Albin had one when I bought it but it didn’t hold well. Changed to a 44 and that holds well and is now my secondary.
A 35 Danforth ihigh tensile is my primary with all chain behind it and that’s my rock.
Not starting a debate I’m just an old danforth guy at heart.

Whatever you get make sure you can lift it by hand if the need arises.

Update- I bought a new Rocna 55lb anchor...thanks for all the input....

I had a 33 pound Delta on my 41. I upgraded it to a 44 pound. So far so good...

I had a 55# Delta and it plowed so I tried upgrading to an 88#. And that plowed just as nicely as the 55. Strange you have not experienced plowing. One thing for sure that I firmly believe..... there is no such thing as an anchor for all situations

I carry a Fortress FX37 just in case I need it. It is easy to store. My bow pulpit won’t accept any anchor with the roll bar on it. I had to grind on it for 2 hours to get the bigger Delta into it.

The Rocna 44 should be the right size for that boat. If the 55 fits, then great!! You may need to back down a little harder to set it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom