2005 34T Bilge Alarm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LongJohn

Vessel Name
RedBoat
Vessel Make
MS 34T
So, I'm easing down the middle of the river at a stately 7.5 mph when suddenly the emergency bilge pump alarms. You can imagine my consternation. I idled the engine and dashed down the steps to inspect the bilge while searching my brain for the nearest beachable location. Bilge was DRY!
On the hook that evening, I discover another reason that the Mainship notebook is virtually useless. The diagram shows that the alarms are specific to the pumps and are from 2 independent power supplies. All 4 bilge pumps operate normally in auto or manual, yet the (false) emergency alarm brings in the alarm for all 4 pumps.

Anybody know how these alarms are configured?

This is from my lousy memory from 8 years ago- I owned a 2006 34T. There are three normal bilge pumps and none of them alarm when the water rise triggers them. There is a fourth, higher volume pump mounted higher than the others in front of the bulkhead in front of the engine. I suspect that this is the only one that sounds the alarm when the water rise triggers it.

David

... snip...There are three normal bilge pumps and none of them alarm when the water rise triggers them. There is a fourth, higher volume pump mounted higher than the others in front of the bulkhead in front of the engine. I suspect that this is the only one that sounds the alarm when the water rise triggers it.

David
:thumb: Mine is a 2001 - 390 - same configuration though.

This is from my lousy memory from 8 years ago- I owned a 2006 34T. There are three normal bilge pumps and none of them alarm when the water rise triggers them. There is a fourth, higher volume pump mounted higher than the others in front of the bulkhead in front of the engine. I suspect that this is the only one that sounds the alarm when the water rise triggers it.
David

Agree :thumb:
My '08 34HT has the arrangement David describes. When I did some tracing I found the pump runs off one of the house/start batteries and the alarm runs off the second (forget which is which). If I connect the alarm batt'y first it will sound - I assume - to indicate the pump is not powered.

I'm wondering if somehow you have lost power to the emergency pump and that is what the alarm is indicating - vs that the pump sw is activated.
I'd Check the breakers in the batt'y sw panel to see if the emerg'y pump is on and if so see if the pump actually is powered.

I'm still sleuthing this problem. I've spent hours trying to determine root cause. Boiled down, here it is. The "No power to bilge pump" and the "Bilge high level" appear to be the same alarm. All 4 bilge pumps have power and operate normally by float switch or float switch manual override. The 4 relays involved in the 'no power' detection circuit are normal, as is the relay that appears to trigger the buzzer itself. I have eliminated the operation of the Emergency Bilge pump as a power source by isolating it electrically. Yet the alarm circuit continues to be energized. Could there be another independent trigger for this alarm that has malfunctioned? Otherwise, I'm reduced to searching for a short.

I would pay serious $$ for a good wiring diagram.

Hi john, a friend of mine traveling with me on The Loop has the exact problem. It happened yesterday. Have your resolved it? Can he contact you for advice? Thank you. Dave.

So, can one (or more) of you Captains with a system similar (not exactly similar, because mine doesn't work) lift your emergency bilge pump float switch and tell me what happens? Does the high alarm come in? Do all other bilge pumps start running as my panel lights would indicate? It would help me decide where to look next. Really appreciate it.

Lifting the high water float causes my alarm to sound and all 4 pumps to start running..

Appreciate the help. I guess that I'm looking for a short.

Bad high water sensor ? You should be able to check for continuity (=bad) if you can find them.

I have the alarm going on like you. I find the forward bilge pump was on all the time of no reason.
I cut the wires to that pump with no result Then I cut the wires to the High bilgepump with no result.
I find a hidden fuse for the alarm behind the lid in the batt. sw. panel. It was corroded but seems to be ok. I cleaned it.
I have dismantled one of the alarm relays in order to see the connection.
I checked the relays if they where stuck, but they seems to be ok.
My boat are still on the hard, must solve this problem very soon before it goes in water.
It looks like a short someplace. Have you guys solved your fault?

Corr.
I cut wires to the float sw. not to the pump motors.

I've come to believe that there is a high level sensor that I'm unable to find. I found the terminal which powered the alarm, and lifted the 2 wires connected. The alarm stopped. While I was trying to determine which of the 2 wires was involved, the problem fixed itself. I speculate that removing and applying power to the supposed sensor reset it to normal. Just waiting for the problem to recur.

Long John
I havn't solved my problem yet but I have started to make a drawing.
I havn,t figure it out how to mail it. But I will give it a try.

Please tell me where you did find the connection that solved your problem and also the colors of the wires connected.

I know where to disconnect the alarm circuit from the power circuits. It's the wire from relay R5 on my drawing.
I have find out how the power circuits works but not yet the alarm cuicuits.
I would appreciate a lot some information about how the alarm system with buzzers are. Even in words will be just fine.
I think the systems are similar on my 400 from 2005 as yours 34T from the same year.
Boan

long john
i havn't solved my problem yet but i have started to make a drawing.
I havn,t figure it out how to mail it. But i will give it a try.

Please tell me where you did find the connection that solved your problem and also the colors of the wires connected.

I know where to disconnect the alarm circuit from the power circuits. It's the wire from relay r5 on my drawing.
I have find out how the power circuits works but not yet the alarm cuicuits.
I would appreciate a lot some information about how the alarm system with buzzers are. Even in words will be just fine.
I think the systems are similar on my 400 from 2005 as yours 34t from the same year.
Boan

IMG_6020.jpg

Thank you for sharing your very fine schematic drawing skill.

Thanks Symphone!
The drawing has been updated with more information. I don't think there are more hidden circuits.
Hope you can read it in this file.
IMG_0137.jpg

Boan

Tack!
this is very good

Thanks much. I actually have a small problem with mine I've been meaning to track down. This will help immensely.

The root cause of the problem in the original post was a short in R8 of Boan's most excellent schematic. Diagnostic were misleading until the relay was removed and tested on the bench with 12V.

Back
Top Bottom