2001 390 110volt problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vulcanbike

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Jaw Breaker II
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
I was onboard my boat today and detected a smell of rubber burning. I followed my nose, and it led me to the fore/aft shore power breaker panel. It was warm to the touch. When I opened it, I discovered these ground wires melted. Prior to this discovery all 110v systems were operating, voltage was good, and there was no load indicated on the ammeter when all 110 breakers were off. Any else experience this condition? Any thoughts as to cause(s)?

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 78
I was onboard my boat today and detected a smell of rubber burning. I followed my nose, and it led me to the fore/aft shore power breaker panel. It was warm to the touch. When I opened it, I discovered these ground wires melted. Prior to this discovery all 110v systems were operating, voltage was good, and there was no load indicated on the ammeter when all 110 breakers were off. Any else experience this condition? Any thoughts as to cause(s)?

PLEASE call a marine electrician. Those are not ground wires! They carry 110 volts AC.

Todd. I am getting the pro's on this. Looking for info to help them. I am no DIY expert.

Looks like a black L1 daisy chained on breaker terminals. Could be as simple as a loose connection got hot thermally and burned up. Replace any breaker with heat affected lugs and any leads with signs of heat damage.

Second getting an electrician to do this if not familiar. Once fixed up have him check all the loads and make sure none is pulling too much amperage and that volts are ok.

Back
Top Bottom