1997 Mainship 34 my

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I only know they were produced during Mainship's hiatus from the trawler world, which lasted roughly circa 1990-1998 or so (give or take, plus or minus). The first Mainship boats were produced by Silverton (Mainship wasn't a separate brand then), in Marlboro NJ. The story as I understand it is they acquired some 34' downeast/lobstah-boat-like hulls, finished them as sorta-kinda trawlers with single diesels, found them popular, so they made and sold a boatload. Augmented by similar twin cabin (aft cabin) models, 36' and 40' I think, usually with twin gas engines.

Then eventually Mainship became it's own company, a separate subsidiary of Luhrs Group. That did not happen prior to 1987 -- our '87 34' MK III was built by Silverton in Marlboro -- but I don't know when the transition took place. Mainships built in the '90s were mostly twin-gas sedans and motor yachts of varying styles. (A dock neighbor has twin diesels in a 40' but he did that conversion himself and I think it started life as a gasser.) One of the brand's useful features was the incorporation of easier bow access using a centerline "staircase" (walkway) from the flying bridge. (Silverton, in the meantime, adopted a "sidewalk" approach, which was equally popular. Both brands eventually began using stairways -- not ladders -- to the bridge.)

Then I think around 1998 or 1999 or so (+/-) Mainship began introducing trawler-like boats again, with the 350 (later 390) that essentially upgraded all the things "missing" on the original 34s (stairs to the bridge, wider beam, centerline master berth, sliding doors from lower helm to the sidedecks, etc.) More trawler-like boats (430, 400, 30 and 34 Pilot, 34T, etc.) from then on.

Then Luhrs bankruptcy, Marlow acquired Hunter and Mainship, Egg Harbor Group acquired Silverton, somebody else acquired Luhrs...

The '97 MY you've seen would have been one of the non-trawlers. Likely decent quality for price, probably gas engines, likely with a couple progressive deck features compared to other brands of the same era, decent systems (ACs, water pumps, heads, etc.), but then everything will depend on how it's been maintained and so forth.

There's a Mainship group out there somewhere; I think on yahoo...

-Chris

Nice write up, Ranger! I will add that they were also fairly unattractive during that era. Nothing wrong with that if their underlying virtues overpower their less than attractive appearance....which could certainly be argued since they do pack a lot of boat per foot. There were some diesel examples if you shop hard enough...usually Yanmar....and they obviously command a higher price. I looked at them extensively but I honestly don't think I could look at the thing unless I got a really good deal on it...this coming from a Carver owner...;)

Nice write up, Ranger! I will add that they were also fairly unattractive during that era. Nothing wrong with that if their underlying virtues overpower their less than attractive appearance....which could certainly be argued since they do pack a lot of boat per foot.

I think I'd say it that they experimented with some unconventional approaches to space utilization... which in turn sometimes dictated unconventional appearances during that era.

:)

-Chris

Thank you for the review. We have looked at a Island gyspy 36 , a marine trader 34 (poor condition and huge price) and now this mainship. We live in upstate NY near the Canadian border and there is not alot of trawlers to be found and then we came across the Mainship 34 at a decent price. Maybe when the weather breaks more will available.

Given it's build year and the pic (I thought I saw) in anther thread, I'd say that's a planing hull boat. Might be nice, though.

The Mainships from the late '70-through late '80s could be trawler-ish, and then the newer one's from the very late '90s-to date would be trawler-ish.

-Chris

Last edited:
Thank you for the review. We have looked at a Island gyspy 36 , a marine trader 34 (poor condition and huge price) and now this mainship. We live in upstate NY near the Canadian border and there is not alot of trawlers to be found and then we came across the Mainship 34 at a decent price. Maybe when the weather breaks more will available.

Coeyman's Landing Marina on the upper Hudson is sort of in your neck of the woods. They used to be Mainship dealers (and good ones) and they are very friendly folks. They may be able to help you out.

All that style on Yacht World have the gasser 454's with fuel injection. Any idea on fuel burn at cruising speed? (just curious)

We have a contract on the 97 mainship 34 my. The price was very good and condition is amazing. We could find a "Trawler" in our price range here and this will work just fine for our weekends.

We have a contract on the 97 mainship 34 my. The price was very good and condition is amazing. We could find a "Trawler" in our price range here and this will work just fine for our weekends.

Congratulations!!! Good luck going forward on the deal!!! Gas or diesel???

Twin gas, most of our trips are close to the New York State park marina we are at. Alot of anchorages are <5 miles and some of the farthest destinations are <15 natical miles. The 1000 Island region in NY we are in is a wonderful area.

Back
Top Bottom