1981 MK1 Boat engine room louvers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alaskasbear

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Slow Goin
Vessel Make
78 MS 34 Mk1
Anyone find any direct replacements for the louvered vents on the side of the boat? They are 11 n 1/4 × 3 1/2 inches. 2 per side and they were glued in the recessed intake box. I've spent a couple of days already scouring the web and cannot find anything of that size. There are no flanges either. Just pops in.
Any ideas on who might carry these?
Pulling my hair out.

Attachments

• 20170311_233545.jpg
    20170311_233545.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 83
We had the same issue with our 78 MS 1. I made a template from luan plywood. This I traced onto a piece of Starboard. Two off the shelf louvers that would "fit" the template were purchased and the center of the Starboard was cut out and the louvers surface mounted. The assembly was glued in place and recessed using Lexel white adhesive caulk behind and with a bead around the outside perimeter to stop it from coming out. Worked great for about 5 years until we sold the boat and looked decent.

Try and find something in stainless...

Yes i saw those. They are 12 1/4 inch long. And have flanges. Thought about buying them and cutting modifying to fit.
Coincidentally i just ordered detmar tables last night for the salon with recessed holders as extra. ,
The MK1 was an odd duck it seems, a few things I've had to make as the sizes were all wrong when trying to order replacements.

Fairly sure those vents on your boat were not the original ones. Getting something that will work with the inside vent boxes might be best you can do if they are still there. By the way there is a guy on Norfolk craigslist that is parting out a Mainship 34.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom