Old 10-25-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Teak step replacement

The wife has put this project to the top of the list to compliment the new rug she purchased for the sundeck. *I have one step that is cracked that I need to replace. Jamestown Distributors shows a listing for steps that already has grooves cut in them but the thickness is only 7/16. I suspect my steps are at least 3/4". Any ideas of a source for the teak I need? I have been studying removing bungs- so I have this covered. Other questions:<ul>[*]I think I want to strip and leave the steps natural. How do I clean and maintain this?[*]What product do I use to caulk the edges? How is it applied to get the clean lines that I see- I suspect it is taped off , then removed before it hardens completely.[*]Any other advice to ensure a good job? Do I bed the steps before attaching?*[/list]Thanks for the coming advice.
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
dscf3885.jpg  
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:56 AM   #2
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
RE: Teak step replacement

Are they a full teak step or a teak slab groved and bedded on a fiberglass step.
If they are screwed down then proceed as per your instructions.
Fit new teak steps being either supplied 7/16" timber or thicker timber sourced from local timber mill.(being in Australia I can't give you a supplier but easy to get locally)
Bed the steps in with epoxy glue then screw down gently enough to hold the step in place and for the glue to go off and don't strip the screws.
I would probably go with the thinner ones that are allready groved etc.
Clean groves with Sika primer or (evadure) tape sides and fill with black or white Sika.
When it has gone off remove tape and pear down with a very sharp chisel, a light sand will then really clean it up after fitting new teak plugs.
These should be epoxy glued in and cleaned off with the very sharp chisel.
The thinner steps should last you and your time out with the boat.
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:57 AM   #3
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat

Looking at the photo they look like a full teak step supported only at each end on a timber support.
If this is the case then I would be looking at at least a 3/4" tread.

Regards
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:16 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: -

We've found the best way to remove old varnish is with a heat gun (my wife uses a Makita). Play the heat on the varnish until it starts to bubble and then scrape it off with a scraper made for this purpose. If you're going to do it with the uncracked steps in place you'll need to protect the surrounding fiberglass from the heat. My wife uses a piece of old formica about 12" square as a heat sink, keeping it up against the fiberglass behind where she has the gun aimed. Keep the gun moving and the nozzle pretty close to the surface you're stripping. As soon as the varnish starts to bubble take the heat away.

If you're going to remove all three steps I would use the same heat gun method only now you won't have to worry about shielding the surrounding fiberglass from the heat. You can sand the old finish off, too, but you inevitably remove a bit of the wood in the process, which is why we prefer the heat gun method.* There are chemical strippers, too, but not only are they not so hot for the environment if they get away from you, they're invariably a mess to work with and clean up.

We use Dolfinite to bed all the external teak on our boat (that we remove, refinish, and replace) as well as other items like window frames because it's a great bedding compound and makes it very easy to remove the piece later if we have to. But Sikaflex is good too, or 3M 4200 (don't use 5200--- you'll be able to lift the boat up with the step).

When you're ready to re-install the steps, fit them in place without bedding compound (put the screws in if it's necessary to hold them in position) and tape off the fiberglass, the step tread, and the supports under the ends. In other words, everywhere there is a joint between part of the step and the fiberglass there should be blue tape on either side of it. Then remove the step, apply the bedding to the step or the fiberglass, install the step, screw it down tight, and using a popsicle stick remove all the excess bedding material that squeezes out of the joints. Then remove the tape.

Depending on what bedding material you use, you may have to remove the tape right now since the material might set up very fast, and you need to get the tape off before it does. Otherwise removing the tape can pull some of the sealant or bedding compound out of the joint. There is no problem in this respect with Dolfinite, but there is with Lifecaulk and some of the other sealants I've used in the past.

The best thing you can do to natural teak is let it go silver-gray and keep it clean. I was taught (and have also read) to use cold salt water and Lemon Joy. NEVER scrub the teak with the grain if you can possibly avoid it. NEVER powerwash it, and NEVER use a stiff brush on it. Teak has tiny veins of softer wood cells running through the harder wood cells and the cleaning "techniques" I described above will remove the upper layer(s) of soft wood cells in these veins. At first you won't see this but as the wood weathers (or you keep scrubbing over time) the softer wood will wear away faster and faster and the tiny crevices you've created will get deeper and deeper and deeper to the point where they look like deep cracks. This doesn't happen overnight, of course, but the first time you go with the grain with a stiff brush or use a powerwasher you''ve started an irreversible process.

-- Edited by Marin at 21:19, 2008-10-30
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:22 AM   #5
Guru

Thanks Benn and Marin for your response. It is a slab supported at the ends. I plan to remove all 3 steps and start over after stripping the good 2 steps. I have not had any luck finding teak in the Baton Rouge area- but we are in Kemah Texas for the weekend and I should be able to locate a source here. Thanks again.
Steve
Old 10-31-2008, 06:40 AM   #6
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Both Blue Water marine and West Marine carry a good stock of teak. If you can't find what you want there, call Larry Campbell at Superior - 281-380-5648.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:24 AM   #7
Guru

Keith,
I visited with Larry this morning and got a chance to look over his facility and pictures of some of his work. A very talented craftsman. I plan on building templates and bringing them to him to handle the chore of matching the existing look. I also plan to widen the lower and middle steps and add a stiffener board for strength. Thanks for the info.
Steve
Old 11-02-2008, 04:01 AM   #8
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

He's the best. Expensive, but you get what you pay for. Be sure to get an estimate from him up front so you don't get sticker shock!
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote