Taylor Bayou anchorage Texas ICW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobH

Guru
Vessel Name
Encore
Vessel Make
Whitby 42
Any recent experience anchoring in Taylor Bayou Outfall canal off the ICW between Lake Charles and Galveston Bay? It's been about six years since we've been. We always anchored right off the ICW but the cruising guides recommend a lateral canal about a mile up.

Thanks,

Bob

Ester's Restaurant

Bob,
We usually have tied up at Ester's off of the Neches River just north of the bridge. Skipper Bob mentions it but said it is off of a canal to the east (not true), it is the canal to the west. If they are back open after the last hurricane, you got free dockage for purchasing your supper there.

Inever considered Skipper Bob for the Texas ICW. We have used his guides on the East Coast. The restaurants on the canal just north of the Rainbow Bridge appear to be closed. We went in there for the haulout during the survey. The previous owner seemed to have a fair amount of trouble getting in there. I don't want to try that for my first outing on a new to me boat, being basically a sail boat person.

Bob

Bob
SkipperBob is a great resource for that area. My copy and charts are on the boat, but I remember that issue runs from Brownsville to maybe Pensacola?? It mentions other anchorages and covers the locks you will encounter. Where are you traveling to?

This is really a very short trip. We bought the boat in Beaumont, TX, and are going to move it to the Clear Lake area. This could probably be done in a day if we left early enough but we need to stop and pick up some diesel so I thought about stopping for the night in Taylor Bayou. We anchored there in our sailboat many years ago and I think we just pulled off the ICW and dropped the hook, but now reading some of the cruising guides they recommend the lateral canal about a mile up Taylor Bayou.

I guess in the past we didn't know any better, we just used the Barway Guide and never checked the cruising guides.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom