Old 02-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Taiwanese is rough seas and caribbean crossings?

Do the design and a single 120 lehman or equal put up a decent fight if the weather gets rough?

I plan to go from Florida to the British Virgin Island late November.

Now I am looking for a cheap trawler.. Most have the 120 Lehmans, and the boat looks underpowered in open sea.

lostviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
RE: Taiwanese is rough seas and caribbean crossings?

Greetings,
Huh?

RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I agree.... There are so many other factors that need to be understood besides engine size to start answering your question? Without attempting to be rude in anyway, how much boating experience do you have? In what types of environments? Ocean - coastal, offshore, real blue water crusing, etc? What boating education have you completed? Have you taken a seamanship , piloting, cruise planning , Navigation, weather , course? Again, no judgement or disrespect - maybe the group can help you , if we understand how....

Regards
Coast Guard Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:55 PM   #4

City: Monterey, CA
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: Defever 44

So.....I bought a trawler kind of fitting your description last year for a bit more than your budget, a fine boat but one that had been neglected. I just crossed the line of putting as much money into it as I paid for it. The point being that there are a lot of systems that will likely need attention and money on a boat in the bargin basement department. You wouldn't want to plunk down your 30k on Saturday and leave on Monday, as you would likely get 30 miles out and be in deep yogurt.

Old trawlers and old engines can be fine if looked after.
Baggiolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi!

My experience is limited to coastal in Norway, and I do not have heavy experience or a captains lisence.

I plan to get one in the US after summer, and learn about navigation.

Anyway, this thread is to find out if a boat between 25-30k could take the crossing in late november-december.*

This thread is all about the boat. Lets assume i read the weather correct and don`t land on any shoals or islands by mistake

I heard there is at least a one knot current working against me, so how much use is the 120 lehman? Compared to weight it could seem a little underpowered, but is it?
Old 02-21-2012, 04:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Surely I will get survey before i buy, but do any of you have experience with cruising east in the caribbean with that engine?
Old 02-21-2012, 04:20 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

I think others will agree that the L120 is more than up to the task, even hitting into some nasty weather, for a vessel up to 36 feet at least. That is certainly my experience.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The condition of the vessel and hull design for that type of trip is critical. If i were doing it, I would want more power then a 120 Lehman can provide. Of you have a high winds and seas plus current , you may not have the power you need to be safe.

For example , I have twin 225 Turbo Charged Lehmans in a 42 foot trawler. I was in 8 foot beam seas and them 6 foot head seas on a trip last summer. With 450hp, I felt, I had the power to control the boat and adjust for the sea and weather conditions , make way and keep a course .

By the way, for a trip like the one you are thinking of, I assume the boat will have a really good autopilot unless you or someone else plans to steer all the time.

Does the trawler you are looking at have good flood control. Engine bilge pump option? Are the doors water tight? What kind of pressure can the windshield take? Etc
Coast Guard Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:43 AM   #9
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Greetings,
I suggest you read: http://www.sailingbreezes.com/Sailin.../gentleman.htm

Take some navigation courses in Norway as well.** Reading charts and plotting courses is the same the world over.
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Welcome Anders... Get tired of Cruiser's Forum already?

We plan on taking our single-screw 130HP Perkins over there in a few years. It's ALL about weather windows. Patience is key down there. We are no experts and have not done it (yet), but Bess and I seek out people who have gone and we're slowly learning. You have to be ready to wait for weeks for the weather to be favorable for crossings. It really is less the boat and more the Captain and crew. Sure, the motor needs to be READY mechanically, but the point is to learn what it takes to do it and not think you can buy a crossing.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Thank you Gonzo!

Norwegians have on several occasions rowed across the atlantic in small boats or crossed the pacific in rafts so I am not worried about that. What I am worried about was if the engine was not powerful enough to go against the current and would just be stuck on the same place or getting pushed backwards while trying to go forward if wind and current was being nasty.

I can do the waiting and waiting, that is fine by us
Old 02-23-2012, 07:48 AM   #12
Guru

As long as you have the proper prop, a Lehman 120 or Perkins 130 (or just about any single-engine trawler can make it. They have TONS of torque, due in part because of their huge rotating mass, that can spin the prop pretty effectively. You may only make 5mph, but you'll never be making neutral headway or going backwards unless you are in a helluva blow.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #13

City: Caye Caulker
Vessel Name: Irish Miss
Vessel Model: 36' Marine Trader, D C

Just last year I left the West coast of Florida ,down the Gulf of Mexico, across the Gulf stream to the West end of Cuba,then across the Yucatan Channel and down the coast to Belize. This was done in my 36' Marine Trader with a 120hp Ford Lehman. At times against heavy current ,I was only making 5 knots, but she just kept chugging along. BB
belizebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

That is great news!

Exactly what i wanted to hear! Some old captains in Norway said they wore "'under powered". I do not mind going slow but still forward, but I have some issues with standing still when I don`t want to.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #15
Guru

lostviking, sorry you received more advice on your experience and navigation than answers to your questions. We have a MT 34DC with the Ford Lehman. We have also done the trip south through the Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, DR and we turned right to Cuba instead of left down island. We didn't do the trip in our trawler but have a good idea of the conditions you will encounter. I doubt there will be any situations along your route where the currents will be any issue with the FL 120. Sea state will be another consideration altogether and the engine will play only a small part. These trawlers are typically very uncomfortable in beam seas and the shorter the seas the less comfort levels. So the advise you have been given to pay close attention to weather and have a good handle on being able to judge when you will have a decent weather window will be more important than the power of the FL 120. As long as the engine keeps running and the weather is right, you will have a great trip. Now, weather windows can slam shut, so offshore in long runs, the longest will be between the T&C and the DR, things can change. If I remember correctly that part of the trip took us about 36 hours at 6 to 7 knots. I could be off a bit. The boat can do it as belizebill has done the trip all the way to Guatemala, another trip that we have also done. We would not hesitate to take our boat down the western Caribbean. Good luck. Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Thanks Chuck!

I like advice!

My dad is an old sailor and he might join us for fun.
The weather is the big issue here for sure, but I have no real time schedule, but it would be nice to do it on less than two months.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:09 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Yes, I plan to get the tanks flushed and cleaned, carry extra filters ect.

Have any of you converted a trawler to run on bio fuels? that cleans the engine quite well.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:41 AM   #18
Guru

Taiwanese is rough seas and caribbean crossings?

I don't know any trawler owners that have done it. Primary reason being the unavailability of biofuels in marinas. Personally, I'd love to switch, but I'd be lugging it down to the docks and fueling my own boat from 55 gallon drums to do it.

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Friday 24th of February 2012 06:41:41 AM
Old 02-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #19

City: Caye Caulker
Vessel Name: Irish Miss
Vessel Model: 36' Marine Trader, D C

Carl is right on about the fuel tanks. My boat had spent most of its lif up and down the I C W with the most sea's being created by the dreaded Sea Rays, When we hit 6' beam seas in the Yuatan channel, I started clogging filters, 5 in all, tanks are nice and clean now. BB
belizebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #20
Veteran Member

The book "The Gentleman's Guide To Passages South" cost several hundred dollars used and up to over a thousand!?! why? Is it worth it?