Old 10-12-2018, 07:40 PM   #1

City: Lutz
Side Deck ponding 1982 MTDC

My 1982 MT DC 34 has wrong side deck sloping at the aft scuppers in front of aft cabin. It causes rain water to collect . Im wondering if this is endemic to the model or was caused by removing the teak decks?? Its on both sides.

geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:36 PM   #2

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
Sounds like the braces that are on either side of the aft cabin have been compromised. Or, the decks were recorded with plywood, and the guy who did it used one big piece for the aft deck that didnít quite mate up to the side decks, that are made up of torsion boxes.

If you can easily get to the deck supports that is where I would start. PM me for pictures if you arenít sure whatís back there.

SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: cincinnati
Vessel Name: deja vu
Vessel Model: 1987 senator 35 sundeck
I have a similar problem with my senator 35 sundeck. the side decks on both sides have 3 scuppers , however there is not one at the lowest point at the bottom of the stairs to the sundeck. I am considering drilling out the side and putting in another scupper on each side to allow the water to drain. any thoughts ?
tn6437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:23 PM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. tn. Might be your boat is too bow or stern heavy due to positioning of heavy "stuff". I think the scuppers were probably engineered to be placed at the best points where water wouldn't pool but your addition of "stuff" altered the balance.

Those extra deck chairs/chain rode/clothing/water toys/grills/propane tanks/spares/tools/batteries/generators/water/fuel etc. that everyone brings on board and stows wherever there is room does alter trim both side to side AND front to back.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn6437 View Post
I have a similar problem with my senator 35 sundeck. the side decks on both sides have 3 scuppers , however there is not one at the lowest point at the bottom of the stairs to the sundeck. I am considering drilling out the side and putting in another scupper on each side to allow the water to drain. any thoughts ?
Level the boat-mark the ponds-fill ponds with resin and FG cloth-finish to match.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:52 PM   #6

You could make a small scupper with a thu hull and a piece of PVC pipe
Old 11-14-2019, 10:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

City: cincinnati
Vessel Name: deja vu
Vessel Model: 1987 senator 35 sundeck
ponding

all good ideas to alleviate the problem.
the boat is about as light as it is going to get since it is winterized. nothing in the fridge or freezer, no clothes, nothing on the flybridge or sundeck, water tanks empty, all the drinks are gone...still it collects water in the previously mentioned areas.
I thought about sloping it forward with resin, glass etc but a thru hull and pvc epoxied in would definitely solve the problem.
thanks.
tn6437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:07 AM   #8
Guru

City: Trenton
I have the same little pond. Original boat still with it's teak deck. Must have been molded that way. So far no problems other than the occasional wet foot.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:14 PM   #9
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn6437 View Post
That describes the problem and the solution on my 37' sailboat. I was careful to make the new scupper match the existing ones. Then no issue on resale.