Side Deck ponding 1982 MTDC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geoleo

My 1982 MT DC 34 has wrong side deck sloping at the aft scuppers in front of aft cabin. It causes rain water to collect . Im wondering if this is endemic to the model or was caused by removing the teak decks?? Its on both sides.

Sounds like the braces that are on either side of the aft cabin have been compromised. Or, the decks were recorded with plywood, and the guy who did it used one big piece for the aft deck that didn’t quite mate up to the side decks, that are made up of torsion boxes.

If you can easily get to the deck supports that is where I would start. PM me for pictures if you aren’t sure what’s back there.

I have a similar problem with my senator 35 sundeck. the side decks on both sides have 3 scuppers , however there is not one at the lowest point at the bottom of the stairs to the sundeck. I am considering drilling out the side and putting in another scupper on each side to allow the water to drain. any thoughts ?

Greetings,
Mr. tn. Might be your boat is too bow or stern heavy due to positioning of heavy "stuff". I think the scuppers were probably engineered to be placed at the best points where water wouldn't pool but your addition of "stuff" altered the balance.

Those extra deck chairs/chain rode/clothing/water toys/grills/propane tanks/spares/tools/batteries/generators/water/fuel etc. that everyone brings on board and stows wherever there is room does alter trim both side to side AND front to back.

I have a similar problem with my senator 35 sundeck. the side decks on both sides have 3 scuppers , however there is not one at the lowest point at the bottom of the stairs to the sundeck. I am considering drilling out the side and putting in another scupper on each side to allow the water to drain. any thoughts ?
Level the boat-mark the ponds-fill ponds with resin and FG cloth-finish to match.

ponding

all good ideas to alleviate the problem.
the boat is about as light as it is going to get since it is winterized. nothing in the fridge or freezer, no clothes, nothing on the flybridge or sundeck, water tanks empty, all the drinks are gone...still it collects water in the previously mentioned areas.
I thought about sloping it forward with resin, glass etc but a thru hull and pvc epoxied in would definitely solve the problem.
thanks.

I have the same little pond. Original boat still with it's teak deck. Must have been molded that way. So far no problems other than the occasional wet foot.

That describes the problem and the solution on my 37' sailboat. I was careful to make the new scupper match the existing ones. Then no issue on resale.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom