Old 04-19-2014, 10:04 PM   #1

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Ponderosa
Trawler owners manual wanted

I have recently purchased a 1986 42' CHB Ponderosa and I'm looking for a owners manual. Can anybody advise me where I might find one, thank you.
finecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:18 PM   #2
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I think your best bet is to haunt ebay. Don't worry to much if you cant find it, just buy a copy of
Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual: How to Maintain, Repair, and Improve Your Boat's Essential Systems... by Nigel Calder (May 31, 2005)

I see this is your first post, welcome aboard!
What ever you do, don't ask about anchors! The answer is always the same, your anchor is too small, it's the wrong kind and you don't have enough chain.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:10 AM   #3

Thank you for your suggestion, appreciate it.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:08 PM   #4
Guru

City: Trenton
I only know about my Taiwanese trawler.

I bought it used from the importer. He said there is no "manual". He did give me a bushel of instructions and owners manuals from all the various systems and electronics manufacturers added to the boat.

But the boat itself - nada. Right from the horse's mouth.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:25 PM   #5

CHB Owners Manual

Thank you Al, that explains everything. I have the individual manuals for the systems but no owners manual. Regards - Bill
Old 04-21-2014, 09:29 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Welcome aboard finecar.
There may be an Owners Manual, my 1981 Island Gypsy came with 2 original Manual volumes (plus original Lehman Engine Operators Manual and Parts List) when acquired in 2010, but if it did not come with the boat I don`t like your chances, Hopcar`s suggestion is your best bet. Anything written by Nigel Calder, like his Cruising Handbook (more coffee table than "Hand"size) is good.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:56 PM   #7

City: Vancouver Rowing Club, Coal Harbour, Vancouver, B.C.
Vessel Name: Summer Wind 1
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 41
You should make your own manual

The best thing to do is to make your own manual. For an idea of how to proceed you might go to a charter company. Before I bought my boat I rented from Delta charters in Richmond, B.C. and all their boats had manuals. It consisted of a daily check list and system manuals.
grahamdouglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:26 AM   #8
Guru

City: Vermont
Consider who the audience is for your manual. If it's for you to learn how to operate the boat's systems, then i think something like Calders books is the way to go. But unless you are going to charter your boat out to other people, I doubt there is a lot of value is writing a manual about how to operate your boat because who's going to read it? The exercise of writing it might be an excellent way for you to learn the systems, but i can't imagine a lot of people reading it when you are the primary/only operator.

Like your boat, mine came with a pile of manuals for the equipment on board. i have subsequently tracked them all down in PDF form, plus a few more so I have all the equipment manuals and parts list with me both on the boat and while away.

Then, I made a "manual" that is really just a reference book listing all the equipment on the boat with make model and serial numbers, service and maintenance part numbers, oil type and qty for engines and transmissions, zinc lists and part numbers, etc. Basically all the info you need for maintenance, or to call the manufacturer and ask for help. I find it handy to have at your finger tips. I've also got wiring diagrams of the electronics and other add-on stuff, plus copies of the ships fcc license, documentation certificate, EPIRB registration, etc., it has served me well, but doesn't tell a stranger how to pump out the holding tank. But so far no strangers have approached me asking if they could pump out my holding tank and whether I have instructions for them, so I'm ok at least for now.