Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy
RE: Sea Ranger 47

Quote:
Delia Rosa wrote:

dcboater wrote:
I'm attaching a few pics of her on the hard so you can see her keel - as stated before, she REALLY saved me and my crew in the roughest Gulf Crossing I've personally been through.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know what you mean about a good keel and rough seas... our Sea Ranger can take a lot more than we can too! *Here a a few shots of our keel...
******************* Okay-- I now have my new official "Dream Boat".*** Yes twin screw and all.

*******************Very Nice!!!!*** JohnP

JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #22

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse

And John P.... because we were new to trawlers and less experienced with a cruiser this size, we installed both a bow thruster and stern thruster... makes docking a breeze!

Delia Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:23 PM   #23
Guru

I noticed the stern thruster.* I did say "Dream Boat".

JohnP
Old 03-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #24

She's our dream boat too.... but we need to get her in the water..... please no more snow up here on Lake Ontario!!
Old 03-03-2011, 06:11 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Sea Ranger 47

Quote:
dcboater wrote:

In that case - I'm VERY VERY VERY pleased to say the least. Especially since mine is a 52, basically a 47 like the one in your marina with a cockpit. I adore the cockpit feature, not only for convenience (especially with the full size slider door to the aft stateroom) but as it tends to add a more slender stern to the aft of the hull - it just seems to track so much better than I remember of any other vessels I have piloted.
- I think I am in LOVE !!!!!
dcboater, I think I would be right that you got your boat for considerably less than $348k, as the boat market over there was depressed by the global financial thingy, and you have more similar vessels on the market at any one time, anyway.* Whereas we were not so affected, and have less to choose from as well.* I would guess, ball park figure, you got yours for about 1/2 to at most 2/3 of that, would I be close...?
And yes, if I was you, I'd be in love also, as they are really nice vessels.* I agree about the added bonus of not only having a large aft cabin, but a lower level aft cockpit as well.* Talk about having your cake and eating it too.....

-- Edited by Peter B on Thursday 3rd of March 2011 07:14:19 AM
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:32 AM   #26

Carl,The stern thruster operates on the original house batteries. * The bow thruster needed a new dedicated *battery which was installed in the bow of the boat. *It was a pretty tight fit!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	launch week 2009 035.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	5184   Click image for larger version

Name:	l1030144.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	5185  
Old 06-15-2011, 10:09 AM   #27

Susan & Dan,

Congratulations on your purchase. You've got a nice vessel there.

I purchased a 1982 39' Sea Ranger Sundeck last year in Bar Harbor, and though it was a little neglected, motored down to Newport, RI without incident.

I have been fixing numerous leaks and plugging holes PO's added over the years but have been pleasantly surprised how ruggedly built the vessel is. For instance, I replaced the main engine thru-hulls and measured the hull at a solid 1" thick. The boat is cored with 1/2" plywood.

You are correct though about the scarcity of information on the C&L line. A google search reveals a 2008 PowerBoat Guide By Ed McKnew with descriptions of the C&L line.

A partial quote from the guide:

"Built in Kaohsiung, Taiwan, by C&L Marine (a well-known builder of production and semi-custom yachts), Sea Rangers enjoyed a good deal of popularity during the late 1970s and throughout the 1980s, thanks to their affordable prices and rugged construction. (Note that Sea Ranger models are often referred to as C&L's) The company built a wide range of boats over the years including a number of trawler-style designs as well as traditional double cabin, pilothouse, and motoryacht models."

Hope this helps.

Alan Basilica
M/V Polaris
Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #28

Thanks Alan for the info.. I wish there was more info out there. *I'd love to know how many of each type of Sea Ranger were built over the years and where our trawler fits in the equation. *

Your Sea Ranger looks great... I've only seen the Sundeck version in pictures, but I bet she is quite comfortable. *
Old 07-07-2011, 07:06 AM   #29

Sea Ranger 47

Hi Delia Rosa and the other Sea Ranger owners.* You can add us to the list of owners as we have a 1979 55 flush deck.* We bought it in Liverpool, England 16 years ago and took it down to Portugal for an interior refit to undo some of the late seventies interior design nighmares!* Since then we have cruised the Med extensively and are now based in Kos, Greece.* Like others, we have had trouble getting history about C&L Marine.* I do have an original brochure for the raised pilothouse version of*the 55 which shows that the naval architect was Herb David.* As far as I know, C&L Marine closed in the very early 80's and any Sea Rangers built after this date were from other Taiwanese yards such as King.* I belive that one of the C&L managers went on to form Ocean Alexander.* Considering when and where these boats were*made I think the build quality is good.* Other than teak decks leaking through the screw holes we have had no structural problems.* All of the original mechnical equipment was good quality American or European brands and although we have continually upgraded the boat we are still utilizing much of the original equipment.* In all our years of cruising we have only encountered a few other Sea Rangers.* A sistership out ours is currently for sale in Spain and another in Australia.* When you consider that they are selling for*less than 1/5th *of the list price of some new trawlers they make excellent buying.* If well looked after there is no reason why they cannot be cruised for years to come......at least that is what we plan to do!

-- Edited by akuna on Thursday 7th of July 2011 07:09:08 AM
akuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #30

Welcome Akuna! *As you mention, *there aren't too many Sea Ranger's out there, so I am glad to hear about your trawler. *

I noticed your website in your profile details and have started to read your blogs. *I wasn't able to access the photo or video gallery ... I would love to see pictures of the refit that you did. *

regards
Old 07-08-2011, 07:13 AM   #31

Unfortunately, the web site is work in progress and the photo and video galleries are the part that never seems to get done!* I don't have any of the 'before' photos with me at the moment; they are sitting in a photo album on the boat in Greece (pre digital I'm afraid) and we are in Australia at the moment, but I have attached a couple of the 'after''photos.

The first owner specified a black saloon, so all of the teak was stained jet black and all of the furniture was black with mother of pearl inlays; it was a bit like a chinese restaurant!* The master cabin was done in*French antique style*with blue velvet upholstery*and a shag pile carpet.* It had to go.

We decided to return the saloon to a teak finish, but in a more contemporary style than the traditional trawler look.* For the master cabin we used maple to make it lighter, again in a more contemporary style.* It was a major project as both areas were stripped bare and toally rebuilt, but we think it was worth it to get what we wanted.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	salon forward.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	6593   Click image for larger version

Name:	salon aft.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	6594   Click image for larger version

Name:	master looking starboard.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	6595  
Old 07-08-2011, 07:46 AM   #32
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

All that space! I'm envious. Nice!
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:45 PM   #33
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan

Nice, nice, nice!* I think I need a bigger boat!
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:08 AM   #34
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser

Keith,
Nice work.
From the sounds of it the original must have looked like a high class broth.
You sure had some foresight to envisage the new concept.
Looks nice nw.
Where abouts in Aus and how long are you out here for.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:06 AM   #35

Hi Benn,

I was tempted to describe the old interior as a brothel, but because I have never been in one I wasn't sure!!!!

Actually, the first owner of the boat*(it was called Yemen 5 back then) was part of the great rain robbery gang and took the boat from London down to the South of Spain.* In that era the Spanish authorities were quite lax and a lot of British criminals headed down there for the sun and sangria.* I am pretty sure there were some wild parties on our boat back then as one corner of the original teak parquet floor is covered in stiletto heel marks.......if only the walls could talk!

We are based on Byron Bay while in Oz and will probably be here for the rest of the year.*
If we get up to Mooloolaba we will look out for you.

Keith
Old 08-28-2011, 06:51 AM   #36

We don't think you are crazy.* We love Delia Rosa... and for all the other lovely boats out there, we haven't seen any other boat that we would prefer to have -* at least in our price range.* So if you have the inclination, time and skill to work on as big a project as this would be... do it!
Old 08-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #37
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Sea Ranger 47

Quote:
superdiver wrote:
Quote:
Tell me why I am crazy for thinking this... I need help.. talk me off the ledge! Do you think all the wood will be ruined? Having been under water to some extent? ( My answer is yes!)
Quote:
__________________________________________________ ____________
Quote:
Superdiver:
Quote:
"You're crazy! Get in off that ledge!"
Quote:
Save (invest) that money until the day you retire and buy a later model of a trawler you love. In the meantime, have fun with the boat you have and don't feel guity of wanting to use it instead of rebuilding the "project boat."* :juggle:

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Sunday 28th of August 2011 12:19:05 PM
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:27 AM   #38
Guru

This is a tough call.** Some people like to work on boats more than use them (it is a hobby in itself).* I fall about 50/50 into this group.

Also,* Nice to save an old boat from the scrap yard.

If you really enjoy project boats and have the time and means to replace every onboard system with new you would have an awesome boat.

If you are going to patch here and there and fix this and that, then you could have a less than thrilling result.

Yes some or even a lot of the wood will be ruined, it may have been delaminating before it sank.* You would have to figure how much you needed, find a good source for teak ply, and buy in bulk.

An inside (heated place) to work would be great too.

If you do all this and start looking for another project, you are more interested in boat building than boat using.

JohnP
Old 08-29-2011, 08:54 AM   #39
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
JohnP wrote:
If you do all this and start looking for another project, you are more interested in boat building than boat using.
******* Good point! Although I am certainly not a boat builder, I am guilty of* trying a lot* of the new do-dads & updating things on my boat that really aren't justified. As far as cruising long distances vs taking a 3 hour boat ride, I subscribe to the latter. My boat serves more as a "tree house" (place to get away) than anything else. I love my boat and often, when leaving the marina, I'll take a minute, sit on the dock box & admire her lines. Sick, huh?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img_2105.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	7223  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:49 PM   #40

We have twin*Ford Lehman 135's on our Sea Ranger47...* Bomac Marine Power Corporation rebuild and make new Ford*Lehman*engines... apparently now 143 hp instead of 135.* We have found our engines to be very reliable and quite fuel efficient.

Is the Sea Ranger you are looking at the raised*pilothouse version like ours?*

We love the layout... nice covered aft cockpit - our*"back porch", a great flybridge area which is accessed by interior stairs from the pilothouse as well as a ladder in the aft cockpit.* And*we feel very safe with wide decks all the way around with doors on both port and starboard side of the pilot house.* Great for easy access*for line handling.

We have 3 cabins..,* twin bunks in the bow, small double on the port side.**Opposite is the guest head, with*sink, standing shower and toilet.* Then down two steps to our master cabin (which is actually directly under the pilothouse) *with separate head - sink, tub and toilet.

Although our galley/salon area is probably*smaller than versions without the raised pilothouse, we like having the great visibility of the pilothouse and it is also quite comfortable if one of us wants to read while the other watches a movie in the salon area.*

I don't think I could ask for more!