Old 12-24-2015, 04:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Cincinnati
Vessel Name: Liberty 2
Vessel Model: DeFever 43
Scuppers on Marine Trader 34

Hi all,

We've had two massive storms in past two weeks. My new to me trawler has a bad sump pump (new one coming) that has caused my bilge to almost fill to capacity after the rains.

My Question: anyone aware of any scuppers that drain into the bilge? If my bilge pump,was working I may have never noticed.

Ray G
https://www.libertytrawler.com/
raymond.goff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 05:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Never have heard of a scupper draining into the bilge. But my scuppers go into a hose, which in turn goes down to a thru-hull. So possible that you may have a similar setup with a leaky hose. ???
Old 12-24-2015, 06:12 PM   #3
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
jwnall,
I have that but no leaks. Glad of it as some of the hoses are hard to get at.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 07:16 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Marine Trader (aka CHB) scuppers, as far as I know (looking at mine and others), all go straight out thru the sides from channels along the outer deck edge. There should be absolutely no leakage inside from them, unless something has damaged and pierced the sleeve that connects the inner hull/deck liner to the outer hull opening. Check all these (there should be six, 3 each side), carefully.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:52 PM   #5
Guru

City: Trenton
The scuppers crack from the working of the hull vs the deck. They should have had some flexibility built into them but they don't. Every year I check them for cracks and fill them with Marine-Tex or caulking or peanut butter. Every year they are cracked again. If I forget to check them, the bilges fill with water when it rains. It reminds me.
Also check the hatch over the steering gear. There is a shallow gutter beneath it with two hopelessly small pipes leading to even smaller through hulls. They clog and then the gutter dumps water into the bilge. Keep them and the gutter clean.

Welcome to Marine Trader Land.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:24 PM   #6
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond.goff View Post
Hi all,

We've had two massive storms in past two weeks. My new to me trawler has a bad sump pump (new one coming) that has caused my bilge to almost fill to capacity after the rains.

My Question: anyone aware of any scuppers that drain into the bilge? If my bilge pump,was working I may have never noticed.

Ray G
Ray, not sure if yours is the same as mine was but probably is. Originally there were 6 deck drains that looked like shower drains. They connected to hoses that ran below deck and connected to through hulls on the bottom of the rub rail. When we bought the boat 4 of the hoses were cracked and leaked most of the rain water into the bilge. I fiberglassed over them and put scuppers so the water went straight overboard. Hope this helps.

In the first picture you can see one of the drains near the aft of the deck. In the second one you can see our solution.

PS Those pics were taken within the first month of having the boat. She looks a lot better now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0098.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	47643

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0266.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	47644

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote