Replacing a broken window

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patzfan4eva

Veteran Member
I have a 34' CHB with a broken cabin window that needs replacing...anyone done this yet? Do i remove the window frame from the inside or outside? I am replacing the sliding portion not the fixed.

Ideas, experience etc...

? is it the same as mine ? If so, the wood around the inside has some screws, plugs and varnish over, but they do come out without damaging the surrounding teak if you are careful and patient. Then the wood can be pried away from the wall and the sliding window, in its track, can be removed. Before you start, get some new track, both the kind that goes on the bottom and the kind for the top and sides. The velvety fabric inside the tracks will have rotted away by now, so it is a good time to replace the whole works. Also, while you have it out, inspect and repair the sill if necessary. This is the most frequent source of leaks on boats of this vintage.

Thanks, I have already done this and before I pryb the wood off (which is really stuck) I wanted to make sure...

The way to pry off the frame is get a package of wood shims from the hardware store or Lowes/Home Depot. Drive the wedges slowly around the perimeter with a hammer. Take your time and it will come of in a single piece and not damage the wall or frame.

Back
Top Bottom