Old 05-02-2019, 11:08 PM   #1

City: Austin, TX
Present 38 MY

I have just exited the purchase process on an '86 Present 38 MY for sale in Kemah Texas. As others have done, I ended up walking away after spending a considerable amount of time and money - hopefully ultimately saving myself far more than I spent.

If anyone else ends up looking at this boat, please feel free to contact me off-list. I will be happy to share the survey findings, and my experiences with this boat.

In general, I liked the layout. Personally, I felt that the side rails created a pinch point where you transition from the lower deck to the upper deck (obviously, this was not designed for "plus sized" people...). Otherwise, there was plenty of room.

The boat is powered by twin Perkins 135hp engines.

A common issue with many other boats of this type and vintage was the use of the black iron fuel tanks. Another issue was blistering on the bottom, and a long list of other "project" opportunities.

One of the things that I really liked about the boat was that there was almost zero exterior wood. The only teak I could find on the outside of the boat was the wooden steps from the swim platform to the lower deck, and from the lower deck to the flybridge helm. (ok, there were other painted wooden pieces, but nothing that had to be bright finished and kept up on a regular basis).

The interior of the boat had extensive woodwork. The cabinetry had intricate details that were wonderful.

The design was nicely laid out for just under 40', and would easily make a comfortable long term cruiser or possible liveaboard.
oak_box is offline   Reply With Quote