Old 02-25-2012, 07:00 AM   #1
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Encore
Vessel Model: Whitby 42
Present 38 Motor Yacht

We are in the process of buying a Present 38 MY. Haven't been able to find out anything about the brand. Any other Present owners out there? I saw a mention of a 42 in Waterford in Kemah. We used to keep our sailboat there but will probably put the Present into Haborwalk in Hitchcock, Tx.

Thanks,

Bob

BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
RE: Present 38 Motor Yacht

Hey Bob,
Welcome aboard. There are a couple of us Present 42 owners aboard. I purchased Patricia Louise II from Jay Bettis Yachts in Kemah about 6 years ago. I am very pleased with the vessel. Ours was built in Taiwan at the Chung Hwa yard. As I would think the rest are. Beryl Present was the guy who contracted to have these yachts built. I feel that he required a lot of quality in the vessels he ordered. There are other postings under Taiwanese Makes that gives some great resources to look in to.
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:14 AM   #3
Guru

Thanks for the response. According to the CG documentation, this one was built by Nautique Yachts Group. Best I can tell that was also a Taiwan company. What engines do you have? The one we're looking at has the Lehman SP225's which have the potential intake valve problem. Did you have an engine survey done and, if so, do you remember who did it?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 02-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
Guru

Hey Bob
We have the SP135's and being a mechanic felt confident not getting a separate engine survey. If your boat is near Kemah maybe John Baker or Keith from the forum could recommend someone. Take Five- another Present 42 has the higher HP Lehman's and really loves them as I recall. Maybe Graham will chime in.
Carl, she does have an awesome rear cabin. I will try to get some pics posted.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #5
Guru

Steve,

Our previous boats have been sailboats and I never worried about the engines. I used to be into sports cars and have rebuilt my share of engines. Because of the potential intake valve problem I want to have the engines surveyed so that if there is a problem it can be resolved as part of the price negotiation. If it was already our boat I wouldn't have any qualms about pulling the valve covers and checking the valves myself.

Bob
Old 02-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:
Steve - Every Taiwan sundeck I have been on has a spectaculr master cabin. Been meaniing to ask you. How 'bout some pix?
*Carl, I don't seem to be able to find more than these 2 pics. I will try to get a few more son. Our Present 42 is different than most in the cabin. We have a "non" centerline queen (angled). You can't tell much from the pictures, but my side (stbd) has a hanging locker, two great storage areas below a hinged lid and 4 nice size drawers.

Patricia Louise has a much larger hanging locker, a smaller hinged lid storage area**and 10 drawer, 8 of which are very large!

Attached Thumbnails
dscf6227.jpg   dscf6232.jpg  
Old 03-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #7

City: Nassau
Vessel Name: Take Five II
Vessel Model: Present 42

Hi gang,* sorry for not paying attention,** Bob, congrats on your 38' If they are built anything like the 42's then it should be a good solid boat.* As Steve mentioned I have a pair of SP 225's in our boat.*** I have not yet checked to see if I have any of the "L" valves, I am going on the assumption that they have made it for 25years, so with luck they will hang in until I have time to deal with it.*** I run the engines at 1600rpm* for cruise, that gives me 9.5 kts at about 6g.p.h.** but it's nice to have the extra ponies available if you need help ( a lot of shallow water in the Bahamas) Enjoy the new boat and welcome to the forum.*
Take Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
Guru

Turns out that after we got to the boat for the sea trial and engine survey, the owner dug out some receipts from a previous owner showing the valves had been replaced in '93. We pulled one valve cover anyway and verified that we had the right valves. Had to explain to the mechanic where to look.

On the way to the haulout the GPS was showing 9-10mph at 1500RPM. On the way back running one engine at 1700RPM we showed about the same speed.

Bob

Old 03-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #9
Guru

One of the things we do not like is the exhaust noise. There are no mufflers on the engines. Does your 42 have mufflers? If so, what size hose fittings? Our boat (to be next week) has 4" exhaust hoses. When I looked at mufflers with 4" fittings they were not rated for the 225HP for a diesel.

Thanks,

Bob

Old 03-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #10

No we do not have mufflers,* Do you have a swim platform?** I have a solid fiberglass swim platform on our boat, maybe that deflect some of the sound. I can hear my engines from the bridge, it's enough to alert me if there is a change in pitch, but not objectionable.

Regards

Graham
Old 03-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #11
Guru

It does have a swim platform with two teak grates in it. Are your exhausts above or below the water line?

Bob

Old 03-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #12

about 2 inches above the waterline.**** Have you been introduced to Brian Smith at American Diesel Corp. yet ?** He knows all there is to know about all the* Ford Lehmans.** If the 225 can be muffled I'll bet he can tell you when & how !!!

Graham
Old 03-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #13
Guru

Have emailed him and his response was that most of the boats he's been on have had mufflers. Not looking forward to trying to wrestle those 4" hoses to line up with a muffler.

Bob

Old 03-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #14
Guru

It's interesting the 225's you guys have don't have mufflers. Our 135 Lehmans do.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #15

Hi Steve,****** One of the things I do want to change on my boat, is the steps down into the salon from the aft deck.*** I have three steps that are really a little too high for comfort.** I have seen a couple of photo's of trawlers ( not Present) that have a stair case that turns 90deg.* rather than extend further into the salon.* How is the entrance to the salon on Patricia L. ?

Graham
Old 03-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Take Five wrote:
Hi Steve,****** One of the things I do want to change on my boat, is the steps down into the salon from the aft deck.*** I have three steps that are really a little too high for comfort.** I have seen a couple of photo's of trawlers ( not Present) that have a stair case that turns 90deg.* rather than extend further into the salon.* How is the entrance to the salon on Patricia L. ?

Graham

Hey Graham, PL has some pretty steep staeps into the salon also. Since we don't have a centerline queen, our steps into the aft cabin are to stbd, and the steps to the salon are in the center. I found this photo. Please excuse the clutter

Attached Thumbnails
dscf0925.jpg  
Old 03-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Kent Narrows, MD
Vessel Name: Doctail
Vessel Model: Fu Hwa 42

Our Fu Hwa has a little spiral to the staircase.
Attached Thumbnails
boat 5.jpg  
Ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #18

Hi Ruthless,* nice interior,** yep, thats the idea,* I am going to see if I can design somthing like that.**** If I keep them straight I think they will take up too much of the salon on that port side.** Steve, your steps look like the same height as mine,** but mine are hard over to the port side.* My little grand daughters have a hard time with them.

Have a good weekend.

Graham
Old 12-09-2018, 07:07 PM   #19

City: Kemah TX
Vessel Name: E SEA LIVING
Vessel Model: 1986 Present Yachts Nautique 38
Nice boats we enjoy our 38 Present
shihan7dan is offline   Reply With Quote