Old 12-05-2011, 08:03 AM   #1

Outboard Aux Engine for Marine Trader 44

I have a 44 ft Marine Trader with *a single 120Hp ford lehman. So far I am quite happy with the engine but I would like to have a auxillary engine to get home should there be any problems with the main. I am looking at the Yanmar 36hp outboard diesel engine and wonder if will it be enough sail my boat back to port?? I like the idea of using the outboard as minimal work will need to be done. Any suggestion?

edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:15 AM   #2
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
RE: Outboard Aux Engine for Marine Trader 44

my only experience using alternate power to move my boat was terrible. We towed my lugger about two miles and I would not soon do it again. The tow vessel had twin 454's. I don't know about the outboard idea because the prop is so small. If you feel uncomfortable with the single I would start looking around for a twin.

swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
edwin wrote:
I am looking at the Yanmar 36hp outboard diesel engine .....
Where did you find a 36hp diesel OB?* (Just curious.)
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:28 AM   #4

Surprisingly I found a dealer who claim he has a few units recon 36 yanmar diesel outboard in singapore. So far from what I have heard from him and on his company website I would say it is not bogus however the unit are not cheap.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:32 AM   #5
Guru

Keep us posted on how you make out and if a 36hp diesel OB will even move the boat! I'm sure there are more people on this site that are interested in the same thing.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:41 AM   #6

That is where I am nervous. Should I fit a 30hp saildrive or get the yanmar 36hp diesel OB. I think it should move the boat along at 4 knots at least rite? The main focus here is to be able to get back to port.*
Old 12-05-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Isn't a BoatUS towing policy a lot more effective and considerably less expensive?
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:52 AM   #8

Hi rick I am staying in south east asia and we do not have the luxury of getting a US boat tow around here.*
Old 12-05-2011, 09:03 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
RickB wrote:
Isn't a BoatUS towing policy a lot more effective and considerably less expensive?
*It certainly is and I have one, but for those who cruise in desolute areas with their single engine trawlers, I'll bet this subject has crossed their minds more than once. What I can't understand, however, is that if you are going to bolt an OB on your swim platform or stern, why not an appropriate sized gas OB?
Old 12-05-2011, 09:19 AM   #10
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Quote:
edwin wrote:
Hi rick I am staying in south east asia and we do not have the luxury of getting a US boat tow around here.*
*Ah so ... yeah, it would take them a while to get there.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:20 AM   #11

I was thinking the Yanmar diesel OB will save me the trouble of installing a seperate gas tank plus I think it produces more torque as it max out to only 4500 rpm. BTW how much do you reckon is the size of the OB needed for the job?
Old 12-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #12
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Ed

A few thoughts:
<ul>[*]A diesel outboard may be*less reliable than your 120 inboard. I'd suggest a gasser.[*]Keeping the prop in the water with a moderate swell requires an extra long shaft, I've seen this problem/solution on trolling*outboard motors used for fishing[*]The outboard should be very well sealed since it will be partially submerged from time to time on the back of a heavy trawler. Newer ones are well designed for this type of service.[*]A good supply of onboard spare parts for your 120 may be a better solution. These spare parts I* call the "hang ons" such as starter, water pump, alternator, HX pieces, hoses, fuel pump, belts and filters. So long as the engine is now running OK and the exhaust/elbow system is in order any breakdowns should be to the "hang ons."[*]With warm water, good lungs, fins and a mask you can clear*prop fouling. Add line cutters if you don't have them.[/list]I know of many serious*blue water cruisers who have singles and a wing engine. The wing engine hours are minimal and only get used to keep them limbered up.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:59 AM   #13
Guru

Regarding the power needed for an auxiliary engine, we have a single engine 47ft Selene (65,000lbs) with a back-up Saildrive (SD50) driven by a 56HP Yanmar.
It has only been used in moderate sea conditons and fortunately has never been needed as a "get home".
Typically, it drives the boat at about 4-5 kts running at about 3,000rpm (max 3,600).
The \yanmar engine always starts first pull but is noisy compared to our Cummins main.
Because the SD50 is off-center steering is less sensitive and problematic at slow speed.
Nevertheless, it is quite comforting to know that theer is a "spare" if you ever need one!!
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:30 PM   #14

There aren't too many new ideas in the world.* These pictures are of a boat I considered making an offer on before buying my Californian.* The boat was located in a rather desolate area of Mexico, Gulf of California.* The OB was a 10HP Yamaha if I recall correctly.* The shift/ throttle controls were located behind the lower station.* I never got to the stage of phisically looking at the boat and do not know how well it worked.* This was a gas 2 stroke.* One risk of a diesel OB I see is that if the problem with the main is fuel related, the OB isn't going to help much.* I tried a similar approach mounting a 10HP Honda on the Swim Step of my old single engine gas inboard cruiser.* Steering with the rudder in front of the OB was next to impossible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trawlerob - copy.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	8835   Click image for larger version

Name:	trawlerobcontrol.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	8836  
Capn Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:18 PM   #15
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Quote:
Capn Craig wrote:
* Steering with the rudder in front of the OB was next to impossible.
*How big was the rudder?

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #16

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:Capn Craig wrote:
* Steering with the rudder in front of the OB was next to impossible.
*How big was the rudder?

SD

*Rudder was 12"tall x 8"f-b.* Boat weight was in then 10,000# range.* I think the biggest problem was that the rudder was about 4' in front of the outboard due to the large size of the swim step.* But bottom line the rudder didn't do much without being in the prop wash.* I never had to use the setup.* Good thing.* If I had to use it, I could have steered by sitting on the transom and using the boat hook zip tied to the tiller of the OB.* I envisioned it working far better than it really did.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #17
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Just wondering I have thought about doing something similar I have a large rudder
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	apache ii haul out.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	8837  
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #18

I've pondered the idea after trying it and failing, over several delicious Miller Lite's and have come to realize it is not possible from a physics basis,* A boat steers by rudder by pushing the stern in the oposite direction as the intended turn.*** To turn to port the rudder swings to port, creating stern thrust to starboard.* If the prop is considereed the axis of rotation for the turn, then pushing to starboard behind the axis, pushes the bow to port, and Voila! we turn to port.* When the rudder is in front of the axis, the opposite happens.* swinging the rudder to port pushes to starboard and the boat pivots about the axis and turns to starboard.* Damn that''s backwards.**** I didn't know this when I tried it.*** It is really amazing how smart the delicious Miller Lite's make a guy.

All kidding aside, over a long distance, I might have been able to steer backwards, but the boat became very directionally unstable, as the things you compensate for, wind, current, etc became more of a problem.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:12 PM   #19
dvd

City: California Bay Area
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37

It is perfectly logical that a couple of beers will make one smarter. As everyone knows, alcohol is toxic to cortical neurons (brain cells). Since the most vulnerable cells are the weakest ones, they are the ones that go first, leaving only the strongest, smarter cells remaining.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

dvd
dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #20
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Wesmar has a really cool aux. get-home system that I have not seen before. There was an article on it in the latest PMY. For singles, it uses a belt drive to power your shaft/prop via a hydraulic pump powered by your genset. http://www.wesmar.com/APU.htm

Downsides are that if your prop is tangled this won't help vs. a separate engine/prop. However, I think it's a much better idea than an outboard. I've looked at that idea many times, but there are too many problems with using an outboard as an APU to be reliable.

Keith is offline   Reply With Quote