Opinions on this Marine Trader 34

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sunset

Vessel Name
Manatee
Vessel Make
1976 Albin 25 DeLuxe
I am on the hunt for a trawler within my price range, one that I can spend most of the year on in my retirement (which isn't coming as quickly as I would like!) This one fits the bill, I think, although it lacks a windlass and obviously will require some additional elbow grease and investment. I hope this link to my onedrive works as I need to have input from those experienced in taking on the risks of an older Taiwan trawler like this. The fact that the seller couldn't manage to make the bed or clear the cups from the sink does give one cause for concern.

If you can't get the link to work, let me know and I'll try something else. The listing website (pop yachts) requires logging in.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao-82cZn96wJ-SOWeE_4l8gYR9JD

Ok.. This is a Marine Trader 34 not a Mainship!
Looks about normal for 1977 vintage from here. Get a good survey.

Last edited:
Looks unloved.....

Tough to evaluate in any detail from photos.
I would ask owner to see his maint records but will guess they don't exist.
Wonder if any yard has done maint on it or all DIY by owner?
Maint probably equal to housekeeping???
I would include eng oil analysis but tough to do properly when its winterized.
Same for tranny.

Last edited:
Looks rough to me. On the surface, this boat looks like it's been ignored and abandoned. If you spend $20K on this hull, expect to spend another $40K on repairs, cleanup and upgrades. For $60K, you could buy an operating boat of this or later vintage with all the repairs and upgrades completed.

How much do you enjoy working on boats and how much do you value your time?

PS. As mentioned above, this is NOT a Mainship. It's a Marine Trader.

Yes,sorry,early morning confusion. Been looking at lots of internet boats. There was mention of recent maintenance and fulsome record keeping in the text block on the pic page.
I value my time and my skills at an appropriately low level. But I do try! And I do Not have an additional $40k to throw at this or I wouldn’t be looking at this boat.

Greetings,
Mr. S. A couple of things I notice right off the bat. In pic.#38: The "stripper pole" in the saloon is NOT standard equipment and strongly suggests a weak roof which will necessitate a roof re-build. Look at this thread for what you may be facing: http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s32/rebuilding-cabin-roof-14865.html

As well, pictures #30 through #33 show, what appears to be, OEM hosing in some locations (thoroughly painted as from factory?). These are maintenance items and, while as unlikely as it may seem, might be 1977 vintage as well.

As Mr. H noted, "unloved" which I think is an understatement. Personally, I don't think this is even worth $20K Also keep in mind the current $$ exchange rate...Almost $26K CF! Get a really good survey and offer $10K(US).

Greetings,
Mr. S. A couple of things I notice right off the bat. In pic.#38: The "stripper pole" in the saloon is NOT standard equipment and strongly suggests a weak roof which will necessitate a roof re-build. Look at this thread for what you may be facing: http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s32/rebuilding-cabin-roof-14865.html

I think 'stripper pole' is actually a cable chase to the FB. At least that's what I see on my boat and a friend's GB. I think GB uses it as a steering cable chase. On my boat, it's all electrical wiring.

Well I certainly favour a cable chase to a roof support. I did replace all the hosing in my own little boat, so I am not daunted by that except to the extent it reflects on other maintenance items. Below is the broker comment. Does this comment trigger positive/negative vibes? (what is silicon bronze?)

Quote:
This vessel does need some cosmetic work, however the potential is endless and she is a good solid boat to work with.

She is winterized and covered for storage, was not put in the water this year, but is still acceptable for viewing and can be put in the water for serious buyers only.

The teak decking has been replaced with non-skid flooring and both the deck and hull are very solid.

The prop, rudder, seacocks, port lights, and fittings are all silicon bronze.

She comes with a Ford Lehman Diesel engine, replaced stainless steel gas tanks, The owner reports no leaks around the window trim. This is great news for this vessel because they are know for rusting out gas tanks and leaking windows.

She also comes with a Bimini top that is in great condition, intake stainless steel screens to keep things such as eel grass out, and much more!

The seller is very motivated and will look at all offers!

Tender included.

Trailer not included.
Information On Condition
This vessel is mechanically sound, per the owner runs like a dream, and can handle all water types with storms, says he has never felt unsafe in her.

This boat is in need of a good cleaning/detail and a lot of cosmetic TLC, but she really is carrying great bones.

In the fly bridge, the oil press gauge and depth techs don't work, however if put on the engine, they are accurate.

Seller has all maintenance records and even a journal of everything that has been done.

2016 Impellers replaced 2017 Engine serviced

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. FW. The cable chase to the upper helm is on the left of the lower dash (pic#23). I'm speaking of the pole amidships in the saloon (pic#'s 38/39).

Greetings,
Mr. FW. The cable chase to the upper helm is on the left of the lower dash (pic#23). I'm speaking of the pole amidships in the saloon (pic#'s 38/39).

OOOOOOOoooooh! That stripper pole!!! I never noticed that one in my quick flip-through. :facepalm:

Yes, I agree with RTF.

Attachments

• Saloon1.jpg
    Saloon1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. S. Just saw your reply. See above. I stand by my roof support statement. Try to get a copy of the service/maintenance records.

As well as the $$ exchange rate, think about parts availability. There are no WM's left in Canada and the few chandlers I have visited up there are poorly stocked which means ordering from the US. Costs and SOURCING for even the simplest items might be a good exercise in frustration.

Granted, you'll probably have that potential hassle with anything you buy.

Mr. FW, Yup, THAT stripper pole. I'm afraid you'll simply have to wait for the TF circus next Feb. in Fort P. Don't panic!

Last edited:
Well, perhaps that pole can be put to an alternate use?

The hot water tank looks new or nearly new!! All kidding aside our trawler which we just sold was in much better condition when we bought her and we still spent over 30K bringing her up to our standards. I wouldn't do it again, I would rather be boating. Just my opinion and everyone thinks differently. Good luck whatever your decision, and yes, get a survey. :D

There's a Walmart on every corner up here. So far I have managed to avoid every one of them. Marineoutfitters.ca has so far met most of my needs, but otherwise we get pretty used to paying a 25% premium since everything comes from USA if not China. Whether purchased locally or off the internet from USA. Our free health care makes it easier! LOL

I find it difficult to separate the untidy factor from the serious, costly stuff. If I do go down to Syracuse to look at it the cabin top will be priority one. So does the issue resolve down to - don't bother thinking about a full size trawler unless you have 50-60K to spend? Or will a survey tell me that most of the nasty stuff can actually be lived with if I don't have much money left? ;)

I think you are in for quite a bit of work. As someone mentioned pay for a detailed survey, I would include a complete engine test. It can save you a lot of heartache. We paid for our boat to be launched and fully tested as a condition of sale. It cost us close to $2k but we had piece of mind plus i received a detailed checklist of everything that needed to be done big and small.

I have no hesitation in making that level of investment before final commitment. I will be a deal breaker or a guide to budgeting and work. Either way, cheap for what you get.

Exactly, also do not hesitate to make some road trips. We drove 6 hrs to northern VT to take one look and then leave, ended up taking a 8 hr trip to Annapolis where we finally located what we wanted. Took close to a year and we were not spending big $, but the hunt was fun.

thanks BP - I have perused that site numerous times over the years, and thanks to your prod I will now focus on those pages with this project in mind. IIRC he also has a page where he posts some recommendations for surveyors.

Exactly, also do not hesitate to make some road trips. we were not spending big $, but the hunt was fun.

This 2 hour road trip is possibly the principal attraction to this boat. Perhaps not the best reasoning? LOL

Syracuse = Diansaur BBQ, well worth 2hrs road trip.

So far nobody seems to find the ~good bones~ inside the rough exterior. My enthusiasm is considerably dampened. There is an (actual) Mainship on offer locally, in the water and looks to be much cleaner, but $20K Cdn more. I can now see that it would likely cost at least $20K and months of labour to bring this MT up to this condition (although I really wanted an aft cabin):

https://www.boatdealers.ca/boats-for-sale/389979/mainship-34-mki-trawler-kingston-ontario

I live near Kingston, so I am trying to identify the marina from the geography in the pics.

So far nobody seems to find the ~good bones~ inside the rough exterior. My enthusiasm is considerably dampened. There is an (actual) Mainship on offer locally, in the water and looks to be much cleaner, but $20K Cdn more. I can now see that it would likely cost at least $20K and months of labour to bring this MT up to this condition (although I really wanted an aft cabin):

https://www.boatdealers.ca/boats-for-sale/389979/mainship-34-mki-trawler-kingston-ontario

I live near Kingston, so I am trying to identify the marina from the geography in the pics.

That Mainship does not look bad at all, someone has spent some money on updating and the engine looks like it has been maintained. Spending an extra 20k up front will save you a years work and 40k.

Go take a look (ride), you may find this type of boat will work for you or you might decide you really want the aft cabin. If the boat suits your needs and is in good shape then spending more up front is well worth it. After you look at this one take the drive to Syracuse and look at the other, never hurts to compare.

Greetings,
Mr. S. You never mentioned or I never noticed what the price for the MT was. If, in fact it is $20K US, that Mainship is only $13K CF more expensive...I know, rationalizations...Also keep in mind that IF you import the MT you have the added expense of duty and taxes...15% perhaps?

That being said, I personally am more attracted to the MT having owned one for a period of 10 years or so.

I can appreciate your desire to "move up" but neither of these two vessels may be "the one".

Patience, my friend...

200.gif

Just saw the 2 posts above. By all means, go and look at both of them...

If you like nice but not fancy....the MT in post one will be a lifetime of fixing or several years of non stop, full time work.

Building new is often faster than trying to restore bit by bit.....especially if on a tight budget.

I would consider that MT not much more than a hull and rough interior. $5000 would be my final offer if the engine ran.... $8,000 if the engine and tranny were recently rebuilt as they still look rough.

It will take $20,000-$30,000 to make it "nice"..... in my mind...it is not worth the time and effort to try to make it "yachty".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom